Hero Snowtroopers?

kurtyboy

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just noticed this last time I watched ESB. Looks like a 'Hero' Snowtrooper.

He's obviously quite important judging by his rank badge. He's the one in the cockpit of the AT-AT who is told 'All troops will debark for ground assault.

First thing I noticed was that the 'veil' is not just a piece of flimsy vinyl material like all the others. It looks like a nice crisp vacformed piece. Smoother and curved. Second thing I noticed were the 'Imperial discs' either side of the helmet (like the Tie Fighter pilots etc). Third thing I noticed were the nostril like notches on the nose area.

I couldn't spot any more hero snowtroopers like this one anywhere. The rest were just the standard type like the one on display at MOM etc.

Anyone replicated this helmet?

hero_snowtrooper_1.jpg
hero_snowtrooper_2.jpg

Wow... That looks like it'd suck even more than the regular helmet to wear. Looks pretty cool, but seems like it'd be totally impractical to wear. It'd probably have to be a display piece (at least in my house) :D

Originally posted by kurtyboy@Jan 18 2006, 09:22 PM

He's obviously quite important judging by his rank badge. He's the one in the cockpit of the AT-AT who is told 'All troops will debark for ground assault.

First thing I noticed was that the 'veil' is not just a piece of flimsy vinyl material like all the others. It looks like a nice crisp vacformed piece. Smoother and curved. Second thing I noticed were the 'Imperial discs' either side of the helmet (like the Tie Fighter pilots etc). Third thing I noticed were the nostril like notches on the nose area.

I couldn't spot any more hero snowtroopers like this one anywhere. The rest were just the standard type like the one on display at MOM etc.

[snapback]1162528[/snapback]​

....good eye. I've wondered this myself as I've watched this scene....helmet is definitely better finished than the other Snowtroopers.....

Originally posted by KevVader+Jan 19 2006, 03:13 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ Jan 19 2006, 03:13 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-kurtyboy
@Jan 18 2006, 09:22 PM

[snapback]1162528[/snapback]​

....good eye. I've wondered this myself as I've watched this scene....helmet is definitely better finished than the other Snowtroopers.....
[snapback]1162553[/snapback]​
[/b]

That is a snowtrooper commander. He wears moonboots and has his shoulder armor on upside down. His veil is a hard plastic too.

Ya learn something new every day.

Was there only one helmet like this in the whole movie?

Originally posted by Lord_Gita@Jan 19 2006, 12:48 PM
Yes, from what I understand he doesnt have a backpack either.
[snapback]1162747[/snapback]​

Yeah it looks like they made a single Hero for the close-up shots and used the what almost looks like white polythene on the standard stunts.

As a "point of interest", I asked John Mollo about the ESB costumes and he said for the ones that they did (which if you think about it were not very complex) they used Elstree's in-house vac former which was set up after ANH, initially to replace all the plaster and hessian sets with Vac formed mouldings

Cheers

Jez

Here is a pic I snagged off the internet showing the basic differences. I would also point out the commander doesn't have the frop pouches but has a pistol instead.

[attachmentid=6088]

This info I copied from a website I dont remember... (please, if the owner want me to remove this info, let me know, or at least, tell me who belongs, and I will put the origin of the info)

Difference between SNOW COMMANDER and SnowTroopers:

* Snow helmet, Greeblie added to each side and vacuum formed shroud
* Snow chest plate, rank plaque moved up to chest area and different detailing in belly recess area
* AT-AT/TIE style back plate
* Snow shoulders, worn revered
* Stormtrooper lower arms
* Suede Gloves with comlink
* No backpack
* White leather belt with white leather holster for Mauser, no pouches
* No knee plates
* White "Moon boots"

Originally posted by Benkenove@Jan 19 2006, 06:08 AM
This info I copied from a website I dont remember... (please, if the owner want me to remove this info, let me know, or at least, tell me who belongs, and I will put the origin of the info)

* Snow chest plate, rank plaque moved up to chest area and different detailing in belly recess area
    * No backpack
    * No knee plates
    * White "Moon boots"
[snapback]1162784[/snapback]​

The helmet greeblie is the officer rank disk that is on the officer hats and belts applied to each side of the helmet.

The chest detailing in the recessed area is different and so is the rectangular panel off to the side of the recess

If you look at the 12 inch toy released a few years ago it has the officer chest plate and you'll get a pretty good look at it. It's not scaled exactly of course but you can get a look at the layout and details.

My first Snowtrooper armor was done out as an officer except I had a soft cowl as I wasn't sure how to create the officer style cowl. I've heard TE say it was vac formed as well as a couple of others though.

If I was to try and do it again, which I'm pondering, I'd probably try and vacform a piece, or use some sort of medium rubber with a wire frame under it to give it shape but allow it some flexibility at the bottom. Rubber of course would require some big fannage.

Don't ya just love the "real-world" mistake of some costumer at Elstree putting the shoulders on upside down makes him a "Commander" in the SW Universe. :lol

Cheers

Jez

If you make a vac-formed cowl, do not forget the two rectangular indentations that go on the nose-bridge area. They are hard to see in some pics, such as those posted above, but they are there.

Wayne

I'm sure the commander has his boots on the wrong feet.

They're also the same boots as worn by the AT-AT drivers and his shoulder armour is in the same orientation as theirs.

Can't believe you've only just noticed him.

I couldn't take my eyes off General Veers. Always fancied him. :love
Originally posted by RKW@Jan 19 2006, 04:46 PM
Can't believe you've only just noticed him.
[snapback]1162910[/snapback]​

Originally posted by Benkenove@Jan 19 2006, 02:08 PM

* No backpack
    * No knee plates
    * White "Moon boots"
[snapback]1162784[/snapback]​

Wow... very cool info :)

I always thought the Snowtrooper Commander was just a Snowtrooper with rank insignia on his chest... didn't pay much attention to the costume...

Cheers,
John

Originally posted by PropReplicator@Jan 19 2006, 03:47 PM
If you make a vac-formed cowl, do not forget the two rectangular indentations that go on the nose-bridge area. They are hard to see in some pics, such as those posted above, but they are there.

Wayne
[snapback]1162863[/snapback]​

you can make them out in the top pic, if you look close, i went back to check after your post, and saw them, since i never noticed them before :p

Interesting.
Then it's possible the gloves just might be the same as the AT-AT driver ones as well, right?
Originally posted by RKW@Jan 19 2006, 05:46 PM
They're also the same boots as worn by the AT-AT drivers and his shoulder armour is in the same orientation as theirs.
[snapback]1162910[/snapback]​
If so - I think that makes three places the com pad has been used: AT-AT driver, Cloud City Ugnaught (sp?) and Snowtrooper cmdr.
I've never managed to get a decent pic of the AT-AT driver com pad, hopefully there are better ones of this one. Back to searching the archive :)

If anyone already has a good pic of the com pad, by all means - feel free to post it though :lol

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back