Here Lies Emmett Brown - BTTF 3

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by hdtheater, Apr 26, 2012.

1. hdtheater

hdtheater Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am working up a design for the tombstone for Doc Brown from BTTF3. This is what I worked up so far. Love to get some critique as to what needs to be tweaked.

[​IMG]

Spacing is a concern right now as I don't have a good screen grab of it. I have the DVD coming as my next movie from Netflix. Can't believe they don't have the Blu-Ray.

Thanks,

-Eric

2. groone

groone Well-Known Member

I think you need a bigger space between beloved and CARA. Also looks like the 7, 1885 is emboldened - bigger space between September and 7 is needed.

[​IMG]

3. Roland

Roland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You can wait a few weeks for my grave photo replicas or you can use the following photo, which I found on the internet last year.

[​IMG]

Spiderstella likes this.
  4. hdtheater

That is a great pic! I have been googling for days and that never came up. I can see from that the divider needs to be longer too. There is a difference between the photo and the pic though. The photo shows rounded corners and the pic shows straight edge corners.

@groone - I see the larger space between beloved and CLARA too.

I also notice that the line with CLARA is not centered on the line above it.

I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!

-Eric

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  5. Contec

Contec Master Member

I guess that is because they needed to use the same photo for the Clint eastwood photo. They seem to have drawn the text on both photos.

6. hdtheater

I made some updates to the design based on your comments. Here is the latest:

[​IMG]

Thanks,

-Eric

7. Blitzneko

Blitzneko New Member

You know that would actually be the only Halloween decoration I'd put out this year..

8. hdtheater

Once I get the design right, I plan on doing a run. Watch the thread for updates.

-Eric

9. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

Not to nit pick, but based on the photos posted above there shouldn't be a space between the comma and "1885":

Yours:

September 7, 1885

Actual:

September 7,1885​

10. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I would add some more weight to Here Lies.

and Sharpen the EMMETT BROWN. The rectangle and letters have sharp edges.

How are you planning to make them?

I did a pair of 10 Commandment tablets in layers of laser cut acrylic.

11. hdtheater

If members didn't nitpick, I would think the hackers still had control of the site. :)

-Eric

Spiderstella likes this.
  12. hdtheater

I am going to carve them from rigid pink foam. As far as the corners, if you look at the photos there are radiuses on them. The pic of the replica has them sharp.

I have based my design purely on web images. I need to do some screen grabs of my own to get it just right.

From the web images, I see a lot of incostencies and I don't know whic are replicas or screen grabs.

Thanks,

-Eric

13. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

* that's a good quote...

Mike? :darnkids

Really cool all the little nuances! I like the "imperfection" of the original. :)

14. Moviefreak

Moviefreak Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I cannot wait for the run :)

Woo hoo!!!!

15. Contec

Contec Master Member

I did not believe that the other picture was a replica :confused I thought that was the real deal that they used for the scene when they find the grave and marty steps on the grave.

16. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

In the little B/W photos (post #2) the name "CLARA" doesn't look like it's italicized like the words just prior to it.

IMO. :confused

17. Roland

Roland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, that's right. The photo is from an exhibition and shows the original tombstone from that scene. Compare the details of the stone surface with the stone on the screen grab. They're absolutely identical.

[​IMG]

18. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Those tiny "polaroids" would naturally give a soft image, inferring rounded edges.

19. Woodlake

Woodlake Well-Known Member

Comparing the screen cap with your WIP, I'd also say that the box surrounding "Emmett Brown" is a touch too close to the perimeter (meant as constructive critism of course as your WIP is looking great).

20. hdtheater

I did not know the history of that pic. Comparing it to the grab Roland posted, I can see they are the same. I'll make the changes and get another version posted.

Thanks,

-Eric

21. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

True. But in this case I think it's simply a continuity error between the physical prop and the "Emmett Brown to Clint Eastwood name change" visual effect. Regardless, Eric will obviously have to decide whether to replicate the rounded corners in the Polaroid photos or the squared corners on the physical prop.

22. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

You're right. The one in the polaroids could even be a miniature, being that it is an effects shot and all.

There is rarely one set of any prop.

There are at least three different sets of tablets in the 10 Commandments.

23. hdtheater

An inconsistency I noticed just by looking at web posts is in the scene where Marty and Doc notice the head stone being made, the one they use in that shot is far narrower than the completed ones.

When I watch the movie again, I'll pick the scene I want to replicate and go from there.

Thanks again,

-Eric

24. hdtheater

I have received the movie damaged twice this week from Netflix! Still waiting for final changes to this.

-Eric

25. hdtheater

Alright!! Netflix finally delivered a disc that wasn't cracked.

I had to take a couple grabs and stitch them together to get as close to a straight on shot of the tombstone that I could. It still has a bit of a taper, but I am going to go with what I got.

[​IMG]

I took my drawing and sized it to match up to the screen grab the best I could get it. I could be off a little, but again taking into account the angle of the camera and the skewed angle the shots came from, I got it as close to perfect as I could.

[​IMG]

And here is my final design.

[​IMG]

-Eric

26. Woodlake

Woodlake Well-Known Member

Nice!
    You might consider centering the "Emmett Brown" text vertically though - looks to be slightly off.

27. hdtheater

I had it centered originally, but after studying the pics it is actually slightly off center.

Thanks,

-Eric

28. mrsmartypants

mrsmartypants Well-Known Member

Hey Eric,
    I have studied the photos quite a bit myself and I have to respectfully disagree. Emmett's name definitely looks to be vertically centered in the original piece to my eyes.

What are you using as measuring points?

That being said, I'm looking forward to the remainder of your build. Such a great idea. :thumbsup

29. hdtheater

I had been using the Polaroids that were in the second post for that detail, but now that I go back and look at the screen grabs and the prop itself. It is centered. I think someone said they examined the Polaroids up close and they looked drawn on.

I am going to just dismiss those any sort of reference and focus on jus the screen grab itself.

Thanks,

-Eric

30. applefish

applefish New Member

I took this pictures during a french expo and i hope that can help you !
    If you want biger size, give me your mail !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

31. hdtheater

Those are great! Those are staright on! I'll check those against my design file.

-Eric

32. hdtheater

Using the photo uploaded by applefish, I have made a few more adjustments.

I centered EMMETT BROWN, shrunk DIED and played with the spacing on the letters. Lastly, I changed the arc of the top of the tombstone.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks,

-Eric

33. hdtheater

Here is a shot of the tombstone cut from the foam.

[​IMG]

Thanks,

-Eric

34. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

That looks great!!!!! Good work...a great display piece for sure. Can't wait to see the finished look.

35. outlander

outlander Sr Member

OOooo!:love. As a huge Halloween fan, I would definitely love to have that as an Easter Egg in my Front Yard graveyard. Are you going to mold these and offer them to the board? Failing that, any chance you might accept an independant contract to produce another?

Jeff

36. hdtheater

These are made from rigid pink foam. I will make thes available after I catch up on orders as well as some of my own projects.

-Eric

37. outlander

outlander Sr Member

Great! I look forward to it.

38. hdtheater

I decided to try something here. I went ahead and made a file for the Clint Eastwood version too. I was thinking it could be two sided. That way if you had it outside you switch and tell people that Marty must have gone back in time and saved Doc. :)

[​IMG]

-Eric

Spiderstella likes this.
  39. DBCooper

DBCooper Well-Known Member

Looks great. I may be interested in one of these.

Look forward to updates.

Best,
    DBCooper

40. hdtheater

Thanks, I am a few weeks off from being able to do a run of these. Need to get a few things out the door before I take on anything else. :)

-Eric

41. The9thWonder

The9thWonder Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It looks nice all done up. I might need to be added to a list of potential buyers if/when you produce these.

42. Moviefreak

Moviefreak Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks awesome!! I can't wait :lol
    I bought paint this weekend :)

43. Beechy McFly

Beechy McFly Sr Member

Looks awesome.. Does this mean I need more money?? LOL.. Great job, can't wait to see them finished.. I think having it double sided would be the way to go..

44. hdtheater

45. Hanny

Hanny New Member

Actually registered just to be able post my kudos to you! What an awesome prop! I'd love to get one as well!

I'm also a bit of a nitpicker, and I hope this doesn't come off as jerkish from a board noob... but I did notice one thing.

On the bottom lines (Erected in eternal memory/by his beloved CLARA), it looks to me as though they're spaced just a smidge further apart in the real prop. Also, the "b" in "by" is more aligned under the "E" in "Erected." As if those lines were left-justified, as opposed to center-justified. Also, does the "Here Lies" seem bolder in the real prop?

Again, sorry if I'm overstepping here. Either way, it's a spectacular job, and I'd love to get one! Well done!

46. mayan jaguar

mayan jaguar New Member

47. casperdj777

casperdj777 Active Member

that looks way better then any Halloween gravestone I have ever done. what did you use to ingrave these

48. hdtheater

I carved the foam on my CNC. I used the rigid pink foam found at Home Depot. It carves very easily.

49. Davidsjferguson

Davidsjferguson Active Member

Any plans to do another run of these?

Spiderstella likes this.
  50. Spiderstella

Spiderstella Sr Member

Yes it would be cool to see another run! I'm in peddling price! :)