Here is a new "Pred vs. " scenario- Starship Troopers

oneuglymf

How would the pred Fare on a planet from the movie franchise of Starship Troopers, like Planet P

(Planet-P is a planet in the Klendathu system colonized by Arachnids) as per Wikipedia

I figure the ferocity and quickly multiplying opponents, mixed with different casts of opponents (as evident from the different types of bugs, drones, queens etc) would be very similar to hunting the Xenomorphs or Hard Meat (thats what she said)

I also thought they would be more of a challenge, because they've developed ways of firing into space, stratagizing, and evolving new species as a means of offensive weaponry.

The Xenomorphs, while wicked as hell, seem to be more of an infestation. a stark contrast of the Bugz crew from Starship Troopers which seems to be more of a cultre with a genuine set of goals and expectations, and reasoning ability.

anyway, I'm rambling, and again I apologize if this topic has been posted before. I tried the search, but nothing really stood out as being discussed. I could be wrong though.

Anyway, have at it my fellow hunters. Throw in your $0.02!

I love starship troopers so will add my thoughts... first off the Roughnecks and the Mobile infantry in general are a relatively simple fighting force from what weve seen (there are no sequals, shut up!!!) They would stand far less of a chance compared to the colonial marines for example and seem to die in there hundreds of thousands against simple bugs. They do of course have those small.. ish nukes to fall back on to maybe give any pred a taste of his own medicine. There ships are super cool but again, probably wouldn't stand up against the most recent pred ships weve seen from AVP being that they are essentially troop transports and dont hold up well to plasma weapons as we saw when the rodger young split in two, they could of course have destroyers etc that may do a better job.

As for a pred vs Arachnid scenario, well the bugs appear to be rather dumb drones, working beneath an intelligent brain bug, quite similar in some regards to the xeno's from alien in some regards. The difference being the xeno's themselves appear to have a great intelligence and the ability to learn and adapt quickly, not to mention they can see right through a preds cloak which presumably the arachnids cannot? they will dumbly run at a pred albeit in great numbers and simply try to rip him apart, they are fast and deadly though so it sure would be fun to see.

hums SST theme in head.....

i agree there are NO sequels. i think the arachnids are pretty smart in their own way. they set traps. like the brain bug making the dude call in a distress call to get troops down. plus the fact that there are several types to deal with. flyers, tanks, warriors, and just pure numbers.

I think it may matter the scenario you place the pred in. If you just toss a pred on the planet and wish him good luck I think he is toast...simply because there are SO many bugs he will slip up eventually. Now if you have him in a AVP type situation (a basic set # of foes to fight and in an inclosed space) then the Pred will take it.

I think it may matter the scenario you place the pred in. If you just toss a pred on the planet and wish him good luck I think he is toast...simply because there are SO many bugs he will slip up eventually. Now if you have him in a AVP type situation (a basic set # of foes to fight and in an inclosed space) then the Pred will take it.

Unfortunately, as much of a Predator nerd as I am, I'm inclined to agree. Against the arachnid's numbers, a sole Predator, most likely wouldn't stand much a chance.

Oh, and I also agree, there were no sequels!

The 'Bugs' in Starship Troopers were rather implausible... I mean...an entire planet with just billions and billions of them on it.... what did they eat ?
You can make a case for the Xenos... they lie in wait for months, maybe years, and basically 'parasite' any prey which ventures close....and although they are plentiful, they are not overbearing on their prey items. ( this doesnt happen in nature, it shouldn't happen in Sci-fi. )

But then you watch Starship Troopers...and there's zillions of the bastards on otherwise desolate planets. They're stupidly plentiful, stupidly strong and stupidly intelligent. Since the Predator is more based on sensible plausibility... he wouldn't stand a chance.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back