Here Goes Something Awesome!

Ditto PP.
Ditto Karl.
I'm blown away by the work you guys are doing.

When I got mine all I could think,"This is huge".
I do like all the interiors, and the provisions to install a lighting system.

Now PL needs to build a TOS version of the "Big-E".

I need a nap . . .

Guys, watch out for warping (pardon the pun) of the engineering hull walls. I had a heck of a time getting them to stay put, and as you can see, I still have a bit of miracle working to do.
Also watch for how the pylons and the hull fit, it's a little weird. Onto the bondo...
engine.jpg
pylon.jpg

Thanks for all the hosting wackychimp. B)

That is looking really AWESOME Hotshot....

How are the seams on it and how are you dealing with them before and after painting?

I was reading the artical above and it made it sound like they seams were pretty bad and needed attention and some rework of detail, but then I have heard they were pretty good.

Lynn

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369@May 14 2005, 11:58 PM
That is looking really AWESOME Hotshot....

How are the seams on it and how are you dealing with them before and after painting?

I was reading the artical above and it made it sound like they seams were pretty bad and needed attention and some rework of detail, but then I have heard they were pretty good.

Lynn
[snapback]987399[/snapback]​

Yeeknow, I think it's a individual kit warping thing. Truly, it's nothing a little smart test fitting and hot water can't handle. most seams really match well, with little to no filling req. but do remeber, the "seams" on the main hull are also supossed to be there.

Thats what I figured, I think the builder may have been going over board.

Are going to light yours?

I ordered the Aztech templets the other day, I hope my kit arrives at the hobby shop next week.

Lynn

Well, here we go. I got Byrans kit and his Aztec-dummy templates. The templates look great, and are very accurate(creepy accurate) but there's no metion of the fact they stick like hell. I've peeled and repainted more paint today than I can care to stop crying over(these were tested on my kit, not Bryans). So...here's the first shots of Bryan's TMP build-up. We started with a white coat, with ivory accents, then a tight dull coat. Then it was on to the aztec. I'm going to be honest: this stuff isn't going near the saucer section. While the sharpness and attention to detail is astounding, it is much to thin and sticky. Two light coats of paint held these guys right down, and even with a light coat of moisture, they still stuck like vinyl on a truck. But, in fairness, I'm gonna keep trying, cause these guys put some love into the templates. Here's the first shots, including the pearl panelling on two of the pylons(sorry Bryan, I couldn't resist.) the paneling was accomplished with the same process discussed in the link that dealt with the real paint job. I let the first three coats dry, the laid on the aztec, and then radomly used some green, blue, red and silver pearl, then laid down a thin coat of pearl, then a coat of white. Then I let them dry a few hours, then a dull coat to prep the peice for decals. Now your wondering, "What about the gloss and flat panels hotshot?" Well, after those shiny, shiny decals are on and the colored pieces are on, I've precut some friskets for the gloss paneling, so as your eyes move over the model, it wil sparkle.. Check it out.
newpylon.jpg

Just finished up the pylons, top coats on all.. Here ya go(and a teaser photo for you falcon fans)
dscn0112.jpg

falcon.jpg

Any more progress on the refit. I have been following this thread closely
top see how yours comes out. It has taken me a few weeks but I got my
garden done. LOL. I did realistic trees, gravel type pathways and even did
some new laser cut wall sections for the sides with a few doors and some
wall supports. Just looked kinda plain otherwise.

Let us know when you have another update on your project. Thanks.

P'ayn n' da' as's

Klingon for shuttle bay

Anyway, it's been a long week, but here I am with Byran's build and ready to show off the shuttle bay, and give you an idea of how I'm achieving the aztec on the hull. First, there are two great shots of the shuttle bay included in the kit in TMP, and if you have a DVD, you're in buisness. Both shots offer great color and detail(one even starts a chapter), while also giving sizes of people and equipment. For the bay, I grey primed the thing, then layed down some ivory in key areas, then started hand painting what you see here. The lighting is achieved, for now, with a bright light source, and, most importantly, the clear parts that come with the kit. This for me was a huge plus(note how the light spreads at the top of the ceiling), and was enough of a charger to enable the patience to drill and prep the small blue lights along the walls for fiberoptics. The hull is in the middle stage, and has not received the pearl coat or two finishes.
Note the different pearlized panles, as these will come out with good lighting on the skin of the model. I use red, blue and green. So...here's some new shots..
bay.jpg
litbay.jpg

hull_1.jpg

Glad everyone's enjoying the work. I've said it before, I'll say it again, this is a heck of way to greet a new member.. B)
a special shout out goes to, of course, wackychimp..

looking good Hotshot..

How are you tackeling the windows??

I'm not putting most of them in.

When I'm done painting it I will use that Testors liquid "window maker" to make the windows.

It is just a clear liquid glue designed to install clear windows on models and make small windows such as these.

It beats masking them off.

Lynn

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369@May 24 2005, 08:09 PM
looking good Hotshot..

How are you tackeling the windows??

I'm not putting most of them in.

When I'm done painting it I will use that Testors liquid "window maker" to make the windows.

It is just a clear liquid glue designed to install clear windows on models and make small windows such as these.

It beats masking them off.

Lynn
[snapback]995052[/snapback]​

They go in right before final fitting. No masking needed. and I put them in with a dab of plastiweld.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back