Hercule Poirot business card - later seasons

Discussion in 'Free Replica Paper Props' started by Picard1138, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Picard1138

Picard1138 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have been a lifelong fan of the David Souchet show, and decided it would be nice to recreate his later business card. This card started when the show changed art direction, around the 10th season I believe, so this is the later seasons card. An earlier card had a red and black design with two squares. I am in the process of recreating this as well.

Photo of an original, as well as high resolution JPEG attached. Sized at 3.5x2", you will need a .25" white bleed on all sides for proper printing.

Please let me know what you think, and enjoy!

-Max

Poirot_businessCard2.jpg PoirotCard_2_TEST.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    AZSneed and DMPOMP like this.
  2. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like you nailed the font (Engraver's Gothic?), but 2.5 x 3 is the US business card standard.... Current UK business cards are 85 x 55 mm.... but I don't know what size a period UK business card might be... You might have to ask around.

-MJ

DMPOMP likes this.
  3. Picard1138

Mike, thank you. Similar to Engraver's Gothic, the original font is actually "BlairMdlTC TT Medium," in all caps. It's unchanged for the top three lines, then at "Sandhurst Square" and below it is actually squashed by about 10% vertically, as seen in the oblong "Os" and fat "S" and "8".

As for the size, I took the dimensions off of the original card photo. It's possible that it's more of a square than a long rectangle, and the angle of the photo was deceiving. I'll play with it a little and see what I can find in screen captures, but for now the graphic is able to be printed by any cheap card printer in the US.

-Max

4. Picard1138

Mike,

I know in the earlier seasons Poirot's card was a US size, 3.5x2. Check out the proportions here (apologies for the poor quality).
    283136b.jpg

5. EpicSorcerer

EpicSorcerer New Member

Thats really great! Love the Poirot series. It'd be fun to just have a few of these in my pocket for the off chance someone would need a detective... Good work!

6. Picard1138

Well, I suppose I should upload this then. I finished the earlier seasons card as well. Enjoy, and if I find it on eBay I'll send Chief Inspector * after you!
    Size is 3.5"x2", needs .25" white bleed to be added for print.

PoirotCard_TEST.jpg

-Max

AZSneed likes this.
  7. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here's the difference between the two BC sizes: UK in blue, US in red. Pretty subtle.

-MJ

Attached Files:

• bcs.jpg
      bcs.jpg
      File size:
      47.5 KB
      Views:
    AZSneed and DMPOMP like this.
  8. Picard1138

Mike,

I tried the later season card in the UK size, I don't think it lines up with the original. Reference photo and UK size trial below:

blogp1011088.jpg
    UK Size:
    PoirotCard_2A_TEST.jpg

US Size:
    PoirotCard_2_TEST2.jpg

-Max

Attached Files:

AZSneed likes this.
  9. AZSneed

AZSneed Sr Member

Picard1138, thanks for the cards. My Mother would have loved these, since she was a big fan of the series.

10. Picard1138

Absolutely my pleasure. I am a big fan as well. I may have these printed and do a run of them. Getting a good, authentic 1930s feel to them will be the trick. I believe I have an idea for the earlier cards, with textured paper, and then using raised lettering for the later card. I'll post here if I do a run.

-Max

DMPOMP and AZSneed like this.
  11. DMPOMP

DMPOMP New Member

Very interested. Thanks.

12. Picard1138

I just ordered a set of the later seasons Poirot cards on quality matte stock with raised black lettering. They should arrive in a few weeks and I'll be able to put together a cost for the run. I'm thinking 10 cards for $10, including shipping in the U.S. DMPOMP, AZSneed, EpicSorcerer, Mike J.

-Max

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    DMPOMP likes this.
  13. DMPOMP

DMPOMP New Member

Thank you!

14. Picard1138

DMPOMP, and everyone interested, the cards are in! And they look great. I'll be posting more details in the project runs section, so keep an eye out

20151021_224546.jpg

-Max

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018