Hensoldt wetzlar weathering question

Cobra14

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi I have a todds hensoldt wetzlar scope replica and I was wondering what the best weathering process is to get both the scratches on the bell correct and well as give it an overall used look. I've heard of people just put it in their tool box and just swish it around but im not so sure about that, the scope is so nice and it would hurt my feelings.:lol I also notice that it is a bit too shiny how would I matte it out a little? Steal wool just makes it shiner. Also since it is steal if I put the scratches into the bell won't it just rust? Any help would be great.

image_zpsijbfttcn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm sure everyone has their own ideas on how to weather these but for me, I don't believe in doing these things too tentatively. The most important thing is to build up weathering in layers - and not to try to do it all in one go - because real-world weathering takes place over time and yours should reflect that.

For mine I used a combination of a number of tools and approaches, fine pointed inscribers (for the scratches on the rear bell), a fine-toothed saw (for the bigger scratches), ultra fine-grade sandpaper, some metal polish (to remove some of the blue but without the scratches associated with sandpaper) and I also rolled the scope around on a concrete pathway in order to achieve more of the scratches the body requires.

Begin slow but don't be too gentle. This is metal and its fairly robust and it takes a lot to damage it beyond repair. I wouldn't worry about the shine because after you have removed some of the blue, scratched up up a little and handled it a lot, the sheen dulls down to match the blaster naturally.

ANH_Bapty_Raats_1_SMALL.jpg

ANH_Bapty_Raats_2_SMALL.jpg

Good luck,
MARK

I have not added any scratches to mine, but I would use a "silver" marker pen and q-tips with solvent. That way, the scratches could be removed and redone.
It is otherwise so easy to make a notch with a needle file or saw that you discover afterwards is a few mm off.

I used various files and scratchy tools for the more distinct marks on mine, and general tossing around (in the toolbox among other things) for more general scratching.
pedro_dl-44-weathering-1.jpg

Of course mine is cheap, scratchbuilt from a real scope and aluminum tube. I do understand your hesitation to beat up an expensive beauty like that! But you gotta do what you gotta do! I don't think painted on scratches would really capture the look, but mild scratching of the bluing can be removed with cold bluing concoctions if you don't gouge too deep and change your mind or make a mistake.

I'm sure there are a bunch of ways to dull it a bit, but I don't have any first hand suggestions to offer. Some kind of matt spray may be appropriate, but I would leave it as is and let weathering do the dulling. As to rust, you can protect it by oiling it from time to time, or use a wax such as renaissance wax or a lacquer spray (could dull it with spray as well).

I agree any weathering that I do will be actual scratches, I think what I'm gonna do is first start with the bigger scratches and then basically try rolling it around on concrete like KramStaar suggested and maybe give it a light sanding with 1800 grit if needed but I do like the shin a little. I also found that mixing the mount around in Allen keys gave it some nice small scatches. Anyway I'll post a picture when finished.

That steel is strong stuff! I do have Todd's mount, and I pretty much beat on it with various tools to get some smallish dings in it. Not clubbing I guess, but not exactly light taps either. I was hardest on the rings, seems like they'd take the most beating since they jut out.

That steel is strong stuff! I do have Todd's mount, and I pretty much beat on it with various tools to get some smallish dings in it. Not clubbing I guess, but not exactly light taps either. I was hardest on the rings, seems like they'd take the most beating since they jut out.
Oh yeah that steal is tough I also applied a little super blue to it and immediately washed it off and it gave the mount a good used look with a slight bluish look which is what I was looking for then gave it the dings and sanded off the edges a little, honestly the mount is my favorite part off the build. Good point on the rings I might add a few more dings to them.

I love Todd's mount too, though the "machine finish" leaves something to be desired, should be much smoother, especially the cross bar. Fixed relatively easily with files though.

Yeah the crossbar is definitely rough, I sanded mine down a bit with sand paper and then sprayed it black enamel. I tried my best to recreate the scratches from reference photos and it turned out pretty good, could have been better though, some of the smaller scratches are difficult to recreate.

Ok so I finally got down to weathering my wetzlar scope I used a Dremel with a metal cutting wheel to make the the three tiger scratches and used an exacto blade to do the rest of the scratches. for the brass parts I basically just used fine grit sandpaper to wear off some of the black in all the natural places. Here is the finished result and my finished ANH DL44.
image_zpsxbkxk7tk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpsd6za0dxj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpsv0yfjj0c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and some good outside pictures of the blaster with my finished boba debt rotj kit. Had to add these ;)

image_zpskxmibbbb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpspyv9mxpd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Anyway thanks for your advice guys, really helped, I think it turned out pretty good.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back