help with servos...

BMP Props

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction here. I want a basic servo to make a part on a replica Rail gun that I'm making move up and down (open and close). I have zero experience with servos and do not know what to buy. Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks.

Nice work on your Master Chief :thumbsup

You'll need both the servo and something to control it.
Your best bet would probably be to look into using a microcontroller/servo setup. Essentially an arduino tied to your control servo(s) operated by a switch. If you're willing to jump into it with both feet, you can look at the arduino 5-minute tutorials on RobotShop | Robot Store | Robots | Robot Parts | Robot Kits | Robot Toys to get an idea of the setup and wiring. I've seen arduino starter packages for under $30 on Amazon and Ebay. The type of servo will come down to how much torque needed to move your stuff.

The microcontroller stuff may sound intimidation, but it's easier than you'd think. It also opens up the door for you to add more controls to your stuff (My IP cannon setup had pan, tilt, retract, and fire controls). Good luck with it :thumbsup

Here's an Arduino library on servos , little more interested in building your own controller (rather then a switch or buying a micro controller and programming it), here's a good explanation of how servos work, and here's some general info... about plugs/wiring/compatability with more in their reference. I would forget about core/coreless/brushless stuff and go more for an analog that will physically fit in the project and be cost effective.

also servos are all basically the same in operation (they are miniature gear reduction stepper motors). There are different sizes and torque limitations. In most cases higher torque capability will mean larger and heavier servos because they have metal gears or bigger/thicker plastic gearing. The plug on the wire is 3 wires which is +, -, and Signal. SIgnal is used by the controller (in the RC hobbies it would be part of the receiver) to instruct the servo's position by varying the width of the PWM signal fed to it. Any good hobby supply will have a multitude of servos.

Last edited:
If the movement of the servo will be tied to a control mechanism (trigger, slide, whatever) there is a shorter route to making the servo move: use a servo tester.
Example: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17143__simple_servo_tester.html

You plug power and a servo into this and the potentiometer is used to test the servo. It could, however, be easily linked mechanically to a trigger or whatnot. Of course, if the servo movement needs some autonomy, this won't work and you should take the others' advice and look into using a microcontroller. And like laellee said, it's not as intimidating as it sounds. Using an Arduino is much easier than you might imagine.

Good luck!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back