help with reproducing car part

MARK2

I belong to a all Scion car club. I have come up with the idea of having a plastic car part reproduced, but in clear plastic
I have the prototype already smoothed out all I need to do is make a mold of it so I can reproduce the part. Is there anyone that can lead me in the right dirrection or is there anyone that would be willing to make a mold for me and if so how much would you charge? Also what kind of plastic can I buy and use in the mold? It has to be a clear plastic.

Hear is the deal if a remake this piece in clear plastic. Individuals can take this clear garnish and place a vinal sticker of thier screen name from other scion sites, and there car club names, or even nick names - etc. And then paint over the sticker. When paint is dry, just take off the sticker and wet sand and clear and then back light the piece. Here are some pics of what I have come up with so far.

garnish5.jpg

garnish2.jpg

garnish1.jpg

garnish4.jpg

making mold will be tough job for this if the piece have undercuts , if have not you can use plaster to do a two parts mold! this procedure it's hard for me to explain but I can send you some links so you can understand what you have to do!
I woul use clear resin for the part, but must 5 mm thick at least to have some durability!
http://www.digitalemerald.com/cosplay_armor_index.html
http://www.danperezstudios.com/workshop.htm

I hope this would help you ,but have patience, some of the guys here may be able to explain you better!

Thank you for the reply. The second site looks more helpfull towards what im going for. If there is anyone that is willing to do a mold for a decient price i would greatly appreciate it alot.

I have found a couple companys that reproduce parts like this but i am not sure yet what they are going to charge me to reproduce the parts one by one. If they want like 1000.00 i might have to resort to making a mold of the part.

you welcom ,I can't help you more than this!:(making a mold it's a very hard job and I think anyone could charge you enough expensive! take your time and make that mold ,search the lair or google,I'm sure you'll find a easyer way to do that mold! take a look on youtube, I don't know ..!
good luck! :)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back