BloodBuccaneer

I have decided to make a “Pirate Short Film” over the next 5 months and am looking into different ways to incorporate models into the film. I have a plan to composite and use CG a healthy amount in the film to create scale, and film actors on bluescreen as well as on location using set extension.

I would appreciate any tips or helpful resources about paints and painting Scale Model Ships. Or if anyone is in the LA area and HAS a scale ship model or any other cool period pieces from that time we should talk.

My decision to make this film is based on the fact that I haven‘t found too many Pirate shorts that impress me or create a sense of scale, and would like to remedy that. Most of the film takes place on land, but there are a couple sequences with naval ships. We have done some location scouting and the course of action is to pre-vis the entire film with a virtual production approach, and shoot all the live photography last. I really would prefer to make models as much as possible as opposed to fully CG
5C3C889E-A2C8-4C23-9D3B-CF65BB7D7ACD.jpeg

division 6

Master Member
There are a few modeling sites that have extensive ship building threads and information.
It's a bit of a rabbit hole on how far you want to go.

Fine Scale Modeler
Model Warships
Brit Modeller
Model Ship World.
to name a few

For accurate age of sail colors Shipways Historical ship paints are available at MicroMark.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.