Help with patterns / garments

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by AmazonChitlin, Apr 29, 2012.

1. AmazonChitlin

AmazonChitlin Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey all,

I am currently piecing together a plague doctor costume from Season of the Witch. I can't for the life of me figure out what the white outer robe they wear is called. I don't think it's a cloak since it has sleeves, but I wouldn't call it a gown because it's open. Same with their undergarments. The white directly on top of the black looks like a pretty standard surcoat with a pocket sewn in and straps sewn onto the sides. The black outfit underneath looks like a priest robe, but I'm not sure.

If you know what these articles are actually called, please let me know! Even better if you have a source for patterns or close to patterns/garments.

Included are some screen grabs.

Thanks for any help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. the_batdemon

the_batdemon Sr Member

Those do look vaguely liturgical; cassocks, surplices, etc. The outer hooded garment reminds me of a ladies hooded poncho from the 60s.

3. AmazonChitlin

Thanks for the quick reply!

I didn't even think of a surplice! I'm kinda thinking that the hooded garment may well be a modified surplice, lengthened, split in the front and a hood added!

The middle garment looks to thick to be a surplice to me. To me it looks like a surcoat (or tabard) modified with a pocket to hold the bloodletting tools. I could definitely be wrong though!

You're definitely right about the bottom layer being a cassock.

Any ideas on the black hood? I wonder if it'd be a modified coif?

4. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The black hood looks to me to be your standard 2-piece balaclava pattern with the whole face cut out and extra material in the back to allow the head in since stretch fabrics didn't exist.

5. AmazonChitlin

Hi Risu,

I was thinking the same, but then starting thinking of historical accuracy and threw myself for a loop. I mean come on, it's Season of the Witch we're talking about here, hahaha.

I may try a balaclava once I get the rest of the costume worked out and see if it looks right! I'm not going for a 100% copy, just an approximation.

Thanks for your help again, guys!

6. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm not saying you should use a real balaclava, just get two pieces of fabric, cut a rough head profile shape with a straight back from the head down the neck, and sew them together.