Help with my new foam build

xorex

Hi all,

I am an armor builder from Gatineau (Ottawa area), I've build stormtrooper, scout trooper and mandalorian and now I am tackling foam building.

I have my foam, my Pep files and my cutting tools. All I need to know is what kind of glue should I use to glue all the armor?

Since I have your attention, just to make sure, what kind of cutting tool should I use? I was thinking of using an exacto knife with new blades of course.

please help a guy out
Thanks

I have my foam, my Pep files and my cutting tools. All I need to know is what kind of glue should I use to glue all the armor?

Since I have your attention, just to make sure, what kind of cutting tool should I use? I was thinking of using an exacto knife with new blades of course

Hi xorex and welcome to the RPF.
With regard to the adhesive: some use a hotglue gun,some prefer contact cement (cleaner look).You have the right knive to start with.
Check out the sticky post on foam building,and personally I would recommend JfCustom's foam files thread for tips,tricks and .pdo files to get you started.
Enjoy your stay

Love to see fellow foam-smiths! I would advise using a contact cement such as barge cement, the foam would rip before the adhesion would, also hot glue is a cheaper alternative, with the down side being that you might have to clean up the squeeze-out later (not cleaning the hot glue squeeze-out makes for really cool fake weld marks) and to cut foam you can use anything from a band saw to a sharp extendable box cutter (my preferred method) Good luck!

Plenty of YouTube vids to look at in terms of techniques (hot paint gun to form the foam, Dremel bits to shape, sand and make fake screw heads, heating the foam and applying a meat tenderizer to make a ``gaufré`` look, etc...) I'm on the other side of the river, btw...good luck and post some pics when possible:)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back