Help With Kill Bill Hansu Sword

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by kevin1701, Sep 6, 2015.

1. kevin1701

kevin1701 Member

I want to buy my 19 year old son a Hansu replica for his collection. Prices on eBay seem to vary wildly. Can anyone give me buying advice?

how much should I pay for a good replica?
    what features should I look for?
    how sharp is appropriate in the replica weapon world?

thanks.

2. Pascal Kurosawa

Pascal Kurosawa Active Member

As much as you want. I would say Minimum 40$, Maximum 5000$.

What do you want? A cheap present, a good replica and/or a good sword?

Here you see the most important (most important for me) features about japanese swords:
    http://new.uniquejapan.com/7-points-to-consider-when-choosing-your-japanese-sword/

3. kevin1701

kevin1701 Member

I'd like a good replica. Possible for under $100?

Also, is there a rule of thumb in the replica community about sharpness?

4. Pascal Kurosawa

Pascal Kurosawa Active Member

I think, for a good prop replica the look is all what should be important. So a nice hamon pattern is more important than the sharpness. Do you have any good screenshots from the film?

5. Damndrew

Damndrew Member

Kill Bill Hattori Hanzo swords are notoriously inaccurate, especially when inexpensive.
    I looked all over for kill bill swords when I started making Johnny Mo's sword i did look for as much info as I could and of course found out that the Bride's Bill's and Budd swords were all bad.
    http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/kill-bill-swords.html

If you wanted to pick up a cheapy sword and modify it till it's eventually accurate. That's one option or you could opt for a pricier blade that might be more accurate.

6. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

At that price sharpness is irrelevent, it is a wall hanger, something that should not be used for anything but decoration

justice league likes this.
  7. parfaitelumiere

parfaitelumiere Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You have the "1060 steel' on ebay not so bad, then the "clay tempered 1095" adding "kill bill" n your search, have a real temperline, however the accuracy varies.
    The lion on omote side is really ugly, whatever the price you pay, but depending on luck or not, you can have a quite accurate fitting, no groove on the blade and "what looks like a real" blade.

The offered sword for 99- described in the previous like is really close to what I called a "1060" replica, probably same maker, not too bad.

8. justice league

justice league Active Member

There is nothing under 100 thats a well made or accurate film representation of that sword sorry .

9. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

2nd that. There was one for sale (sharp too) for about $120AUD at the recent Comic Con but it looked cheap and nasty. The Swords I own already are way nicer than it was.

10. parfaitelumiere

11. justice league

12. parfaitelumiere

Right, sadly I checked all stuff for lower price, but it's so wrong design it can't be considered as accurate enough for the price.
    Even at 300-500 price range, this is the only one with correct looking handle and blade, sadly the hilt has missing parts, probably because they just customised standarts hilts by adding engraving.
    I would think about a accurate one, based from a clay tempered blade and a glossy black hilt, making other parts, it will be lots of work.

13. justice league

Thats actually a great sword for sub 3 I am going to snag one for myself lol

14. parfaitelumiere

you can easily customize it, adding the missing parts on scabbard.

15. justice league

Talk to me about that do you supply additional parts ?

16. parfaitelumiere

I don't, I was thinking about it, but I don't.
    It will be necessary to make a wax kojiri and koi guchi, then cast from bronze.
    I think in 2016 I will work on this saber, buy a blade and scabbard and make the other parts, hesitating between making wax pieces or buying antique parts and modify them, then cast from wax.
    I am thinking about some antique parts, the actual saber guard has useless holes, even there are no additionnal blades in the scabbard, so I would use a antique guard and antique handle parts, new blade and scabbard.