help with cleaning up a rough cast of a latex mask?

MrGzilla

ok, so a few days ago i finaly got my creature from the black lagoon mask in but its just the raw mask with no clean up or paint so i was wondering how to clean a seam line in latex, and what type of paint to use on it.
thanks!
heres some pics:

296823_279633885394465_100000435685847_1082010_1975011428_n.jpg

304129_279630995394754_100000435685847_1081998_1281208615_n.jpg

314879_281995701824950_100000435685847_1091800_1009734193_n.jpg

Last edited:
Re: help with cleaning up a rough cast of a silicone mask?

The FX Lab's Tutorials section has some stuff on silicone seaming & painting in the stickies;
Google and YouTube ('paint silicone mask' etc) turn up plenty of others, either directly or linked from results.

Annoyingly I was looking up loads of this stuff just last week, and now I can't find half the links / videos again... Loads of stuff on latex & gelatine, but not silicone.

Re: help with cleaning up a rough cast of a silicone mask?

The FX Lab's Tutorials section has some stuff on silicone seaming & painting in the stickies;
Google and YouTube ('paint silicone mask' etc) turn up plenty of others, either directly or linked from results.

Annoyingly I was looking up loads of this stuff just last week, and now I can't find half the links / videos again... Loads of stuff on latex & gelatine, but not silicone.

ok thanks!

just realized that its a latex mask, not silicone... but thanks!

Last edited:
Your mask is latex... Not silicone... You'll want to take a pair of SHARP scissors and trim out the eye holes and such. Then cut away the seam line, creating a bit of a trench (similar to seaming silicone). Then, clean the whole thing with mineral spirits. At this point, if there's any burs anywhere, grab a dremel with the cotton buffing wheel and some Naptha. Dab a little naptha on the bur or a rough edge and then buff off.

Now, take some new latex, thicken with cabosil and trow it into the trench, smoothing with a que tip wet with some distilled water. As it starts to set, you can add in texture to match and blend into the rest of the mask.

Painting is as simple as mixing acrylic paint with rubber cement and thinning with naptha. This can be brushed or airbrushed over the entire surface. Then go in with tinted and thinned latex, PAX, or rubber cement paint in thin washes to create depth and add color.

Similar to the above - If you are REALLY REALLY CAREFUL -

Get a battery powered (not plug in - too much torque) dremel drill with the SOFTEST buffing bit you can, and slowly and carefully "sand" the seam down - Then just fill the remainder with liquid latex in thin layers until it blends smoothly -

My advice would be NOT to fill the mask with foam. That would be a non-reversable decision. Make a headform, or use a commercially avaiible one altered to fit the inside of the mask. That way you still have a nice mask to use if desired, and a wonderful display bust. I like the stand design, but I bet you can do better and not rip-of the commercial design.

AFAIK silicone and latex won't stick to each other, so using silicone to fill in the seams wouldn't work (and you couldn't paint over it with latex paints, either). Careful use of nail scissors - the small ones with slightly curved blades - should let you clean up the seams with very little need for filling.

AFAIK silicone and latex won't stick to each other, so using silicone to fill in the seams wouldn't work (and you couldn't paint over it with latex paints, either). Careful use of nail scissors - the small ones with slightly curved blades - should let you clean up the seams with very little need for filling.

damn i dont know why i keep saying silicone... i meant the latex skin from haloween stores.. which i already bought some of and its working pretty well.

My advice would be NOT to fill the mask with foam. That would be a non-reversable decision. Make a headform, or use a commercially avaiible one altered to fit the inside of the mask. That way you still have a nice mask to use if desired, and a wonderful display bust. I like the stand design, but I bet you can do better and not rip-of the commercial design.

i was kinda thinking of doing that, but i dont really have use for a creature mask, but i guess i might in the future.
and as for the stand, i have a few ideas.. but i like the look of the oficial one but id want it to have the same feel of it. or i might go in a completely differant direction... i just dont know yet

I did I thread on something like this a couple years ago: http://www.therpf.com/f9/finishing-raw-michael-myers-mask-tutorial-76124/#post1067435

Give me a yell if you need help. I can give you some advice either through PMs or the phone. Ship me the mask, some liquid latex, and a couple bucks, and i'll even do it for you.

thanks! ill look through that! and you might get a few pms later on when i start painting but id deffinitly like to do it myself, but thanks for the offer!

I always wondered what a TK looked like without their helmet on. haha
Love that mask! Good luck cleaning him up:thumbsup

MrG -

If its latex, and you have a TAPS PLASTICS or a MICHAELS ART near you, just go buy some latex from the MOLD MAKING section and use that!

I also hear hardware store PLASTI DIP can work, since its basically latex, but get someone who knows more to OK the idea before you try that!

Just stick with real latex. You'll have to clean the talc off the mask with some warm soapy water before adding new latex. Like Tyler said, get some at the craft store, equally at this time of year, you can go into a Halloween store and buy a small bottle of liquid latex. You shouldn't need much.

As far as cutting off flash and boogers, always use small sharp scissors (cuticle scissors work best). Never use a knife.

When you're done filling in holes with the new latex, be sure to talc over the areas, and then wash the mask again before painting.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back