Help with Clay for molding

ZOMBIEREPELLENT

Sr Member
Hey guys, I picked up some plainsman M325 water based clay to make some mold walls and whatnot. I found out after buying that it may contain possible traces of sulfur dioxide. I'm not sure if anyone has used this type of clay before? Will it inhibit my silicone from curing? once my support jacket is made, the only thing I will be using it for is plugging holes and leaks in my jacket.

They changed their site around a bit since I've been on there. :facepalm

I don't do any mold making for modeling, just for prosthetics. Although I'm looking at doing some in the near future. After digging around their site, it looks like they placed that information directly into each product's Technical Bulletin. Not easy to find and a bit tedious to make a product decision.

My apologies!

But generally, you want to stay away from any sulfur-based clays if you're going to use platinum-cured silicone. Tin-cured you should be fine. I teach a Makeup Design class P/T at a local college and I talk about silicone's when we do prosthetics. I'll continue to bump around a bit and will shoot you a PM if I find anything.

Yeah Zombie I wouldnt use that clay like Al said I also had an episode a couple of months with some silicne not curing see if you can find some Kleen Clay you my be able to find some online heard the company went out of business so I picked like the last 10 pounds my store had.

Honestly, I was just stressed out and was having a brain cramp. I used the water based clay to make my support jacket. Once I drill the holes in that to let air escape, I can use a different type of clay. I just don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner. Thank you all for your responses.

Once you use a sulfur based clay in the making of a mold you cant use plat. silicone nemore. The sulfur gets trapped in the mold that you made and will still prevent the silicone from setting even if you clean it out. Seen this happen with a few silicone and stone molds. Just avoid plat. based molding silicone (which there are a few of) Just stick to the tin based and go get some WED clay. You will be much happier.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back