Help wih Silicone and molding process

TheDarkKnight08

Hi,

I have created a Batman sculpt with Monster Clay and I want to do a few things. I made a silicone mold of it with Brush on 25 from Smooth on. That came out great. Now, I made a Plaster bandage mother mold for it and tried to cast a resin (plastic) to make a copy of the sculpt (Hard copy) but the face was deformed. What wuld be a better choice for a mother mold?

2nd question. Now that I have the silicone mold of my sculpt how can I make a Silicone mask to wear of that? Do I have to use a different silicone or do I have to go back to my original sculpt of Monster Clay and use a different method to make the silicone mask? I'm confusing myself trying to do this and don't want to chase my tail and spend a ton on different silicones. Also, what silicone would you recommend for the mask? I want the ears to be stiff and not droop or be floppy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

If you want to go the cheap way, you can use just plaster for the mother mold. But you have to reenforce it with some jute-fabric or maybe some irons too. Also do not forget some locks so the different pieces will fit together perfectly. If you want to have a more durable and lighter mother mother mold, you can use polyester or (more healthy) acrylic resin.

acrylic resin
I will have to try that or find a tutorial if it exists but I like the sound of that better than plaster because all I seem to do is make a giant mess and not a good mother mold. I appreciate the advice and will try the resin. Any other ideas please feel free to let me know.

Here is a link of the company... the resin is called Acrystal:
Acrystal - Samaro
I don't know, if its easy to order that stuff worldwide, but the stuff itself is pretty nice. It is not as poison as polyester but nearly as hard as polyester is. You can find some informations on the homepage. Unfortunately I can't find any tutorials on youtube or so.

Last edited:
Here is a link of the company... the resin is called Acrystal:
Acrystal - Samaro
I don't know, if its easy to order that stuff worldwide, but the stuff itself is pretty nice. It is not as poison as polyester but nearly as hard as polyester is. You can find some informations on the homepage. Unfortunately I can't find any tutorials on youtube or so.
Thank you for your help and I will go check that out.

Why did the mother mold fail?

Was the plaster reinforced? Cheese cloth? Burlap? T-shirts? How many layers?

Plaster bandage is fine but you need minimum of 1/8" - 1/4" for support

Polyester resin has its own issues, none-the-least of which is smell and mess.

There is Plasti-Paste made by Smooth On which works well

You want to cast the cowl in silicone? Most guys make them from urethane rubber. It's my understanding you can't cast silicone in a silicone mold.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back