Help Thread: Need introduction into the world of Foamcraft

Synonym

Howdy all, found this forum hub just yesterday and already i'm amazed at what you've got going on in here. My goal is to build a Voltron suit (I know that there are currently two threads on this topic in the Non-pred section, but I thought help was a better section for my post).

However unlike the other two users threads (Jax Archillies and grim_hammer your input would be highly valued) I am a total noob in the world of foam crafting. I have been cosplaying for several years now, slowly getting more elaborate and daring in my creations however one of my all-time fantasies was to create a Voltron costume.

I understand the time demands this kind of project will have and am still willing to go ahead.

However what my question at this point is, is "How do I get started in the foamcrafting world?"

Questions like:
-What kind of tools will I require
-What kind of steps are there before we get to the foamwork (I read something about cardboard mock-ups)
-What kind of expenses are usually associated with this kind of project

I searched the site for tutorials of this nature, but was unable to find anything that went all the way back to a basic level.

Many thanks in advance,
Synonym

Well two questions. What kind of foam and are you on a budget?

Darren

In terms of foam I havn't a slightest clue. The only type I know of, and not even if its appropriate for this type of build, is Polyurethane.

In terms of budget, i'd like to keep the project under $200 if at all possible.

Thank you for your speedy reply as well Darren.

I would suggest that you PM the two members who have the experience with the suits in particular. As for the foam I believe it was a type a furniture foam sold at craft stores however I may be wrong. Good luck.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back