HELP! Possible On-Screen ROTJ Storm Trooper Armor??

CHADBAMF

(SOLVED THANK YOU )
Hey everyone, CHADBAMF here, longtime lurker and first time poster with Big Time question! The community here seems well respected and respectable at that, so now that i may have something to contribute i exit the shadows :)

Longtime collector and commissioned costumer but I've exhausted my resources on this matter. I purchased a fairly rough shape storm trooper armor from an estate sale receiving little on its background. However once inspected I believe it may just be an or at least incorporate original armor pieces??? All the 'checklists' i know of and have found seem to check out so far. Yes, i am well aware how unlikely this is..but the more i research the less I've found to disprove it. Sooo gentlemen and ladies.... any good sources you could recommend to help me prove this one way or another?? I'll send pics to anyone interested and even upload some if still no answers soon. Thanks everyone :) !

Last edited:
Might also be a so-called "tour suit" (superficial ROTJ stormtrooper lookalikes) with a certain degree of screen lineage, but not really screen used.
Good pictures of what you have will definitely help to clear things up in no time.

Ok here's some pics of the helmet. Close ups of the details that apparently help determine where its from. (So ive read) Appreciate any replies...just be kind to the noob ;) Thanks All! trooper helmet 001.jpgtrooper helmet 002.jpgtrooper helmet 003.jpgtrooper helmet 004.jpgtrooper helmet 005.jpgtrooper helmet 006.jpgtrooper helmet 007.jpgtrooper helmet 008.jpg

Ok from the top - No Ear covers on ear pieces and they are rivited, front airators appear to be incorrect , it has hot glued bubble eyepieces , no mesh in face plate , no edge trim round helmet bottom, top line appears to be fabric or plastic strip, it is vac formed but photo seven shows the mouth plate ridges , it should be smooth, photo 8 does show the locking rivets - to be sure , I'd need to see the inside top dome, also what are the dimensions and how heavy does it feel ?? and are the grey areas at the top of the ear pieces, painted or decal ? and how thick does the sheet ABS appear to be ?

First impressions just from the photo's it could be a tour suit, it's definitely not a screen or production used piece , it has been assembled almost correctly, but not quite - so it could be a very good copy indeed . I'd need the other bits of info to be sure. I have identified pieces for Christie's the auction house, in the past, so I do know what I'm talking about.

Ok from the top! - No Ear covers on ear pieces and they are rivited, front airators appear to be incorrect , it has hot glued bubble eyepieces , no mesh in face plate , no edge trim round helmet bottom, top line appears to be fabric strip, it is vac formed, but photo seven shows the mouth plate ridges, photo 8 does show the locking rivets - to be sure , I'd need to see the inside top dome, also what are the dimensions and how heavy does it feel ?? and are the grey areas at the top of the ear pieces, painted or decal ? and how thick does the sheet ABS appear to be ?

First impressions just from the photo's it could be a tour suit, it's definitely not a screen or production used piece , it has been assembled almost correctly, but not quite - so it could be a very good copy indeed . I'd need the other bits of info to be sure. I have identified pieces for Christie's the auction house, in the past, so I do know what I'm talking about.

You're kidding right?

That's an FX trooper helmet: Fan made replica from 14 years ago when no cast from original helmets were widely available.

This is as far from an original as it gets. Completely oversized and innacurate. Amongs many other things the vocoder is a dead giveaway.

:facepalm

You're kidding right?

That's an FX trooper helmet: Fan made replica from 14 years ago when no cast from original helmets were widely available.

This is as far from an original as it gets. Completely oversized and innacurate. Amongs many other things the vocoder is a dead giveaway.

^^^^
THIS.

Sorry CHADBAMF this has absolutely nothing to do with a screen trooper.

To PropsJB, thanks for your help. Should of clarified just how bad and disassembled this thing was when I got it. It does have the ear caps, ear piece was dual flat screws not rivets. The lenses were falling out of a yellowing epoxy, as was black trim around the bottom of the helmet. The top lines definitely not fabric. It was a mess to say the least.

However it looks like you were right :) Finally got reply from original owner. Name and dates I thought were pointless written on the insides??, turns out are from a promotional tour his ex-brother in law was a part of. Go fig

So again To you props thanks for your help, to all others who posted "help"
: It's a good thing I mentioned up front that I was an expert who was convinced this piece was authentic...otherwise your comments would of really seemed condescending and needlessly rude had it been some new guy looking for help.. -pheew!- dodged that bullet.

Last edited:
You're kidding right?

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with you, I don't think he was kidding!
It's only obvious to us hardened "experts"

But yes, no lineage in this lid unfortunately.

If you are looking for a Rotj lid cast from original, I can help there. :)

Keep looking, there are a still a load of originals out there somewhere. Stuffed in attics and boxes with owners not knowing their importance. I've beards of a few but unfortunately never got hold of them due to one reason or another.
I was told an old timer walked into the company I vac form my Rotj armour and lids and said who's is that, pointing at one of my faceplate pulls and said he had a set of plaster Stormtrooper moulds in his workshop he rescued from Elstree vac rooms in the 80s when he worked there when LFL shut them down. Unfortunately I've never been able to get hold of him since. :facepalm Think of the importance of those moulds. He's had them sitting on a shelf for nearly 30 years collecting dust!

Good luck!

Mark.

FYI and for the record this is at least the third time / thread in which a supposed original screen used set of trooper turns out to be only an armor FX suit or helmet...a fan made replica. Others here will attest to that. It gets old after a while.

So yes my replies were rude, sorry, but after so many cases of "my father was offered an original stormtrooper helmet after filming", pics never showing up, "it is buried in the forest", "its in my grandparents cellar's attic' why would we not suspect you of trolling.

Also the fact that you'd post "All the 'checklists' i know of and have found seem to check out so far", just to show us an FX helmet, seemed suspsect as well.

Anyway tip : a simple preliminary google search would have solved this, I just did it, none of these are from my personnal reference library.
Firts get a screencap from the film, then compare it to a confirmed original in private hands, then to your own helmet. That wouldn't work for a cast from original but here it does. Obviously I uploaded these in low rez.
rotjtroocomp.jpg

Also it's no tour suit, unless you're refering to 501st events. All the tour suits had some lineage to the originals in one shape or another. This doesn't.

Again apologies for the replies, next time I won't post "help".

Last edited:
Again apologies for the replies, next time I won't post "help".

I don't think the fact that you "helped" is the issue, it's just the flippant way in which you worded the help. The guy obviously has no idea what he had in his hands and judging by his post count has not been in the prop world for longer than 5 mins.
"We" all know exactly where to look and what to look for..... beginners don't necessarily.

Too many people here get quickly annoyed with beginners dumb questions but we were all beginners once.
I bought a complete FX when I started not knowing any better! :lol

Anyway your quick Google search goes to prove a little research doesn't hurt and isn't hard.

Sorry mate, I sincerely thought the guy was trolling. His first post seemed to suggest that he had already done some research and wasn't a beginner. My bad.

All the 'checklists' i know of and have found seem to check out so far. Yes, i am well aware how unlikely this is..but the more i research the less I've found to disprove it.

I thought the same thing :lol

after so many cases of "my father was offered an original stormtrooper helmet after filming", pics never showing up, "it is buried in the forest", "its in my grandparents cellar's attic' why would we not suspect you of trolling..

Apologies accepted all around, I share my own if came across as an expert on the matter. That expertise comes to fabrication and repairs for sure...you got a broken trooper cod piece broke in half I'll make it good as new; hell I'll 'endow' it for you. As far as it goes telling the difference between an original and your grandpas softball sports cup...thats another story. Whats more if it helps ease any ones mind out there; not even a clue what 'trolling' is in these regards. Again if doesnt include hunting under bridges with goats for bait??... I'm at a loss.

So to all thanks again, I'm hoping this can be a false start for myself here when I have many large projects in the works i hoped to share with you all.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back