Help Please

Brokenbow28

Hey everyone! So i have found loads of information on every piece of the puzzle, but i have no idea where to start right now i have nothing so what would be a good starting point to test my skills and patience and get a better understanding of what im getting myself into. Thanks for you opinions!

I'm sure the veterans can chime in soon, but personally I would start with the head and bio mask and work from top to bottom.
Don't know if you are going to sculpt it yourself or purchase items, but the head would be a good starting point.
That way, you can test your skills on painting, build, etc.

If, down the road, you find you cant afford purchasing all the pieces for a full costume or statue, you'll still be able to make a real nice bust to display.

Hey Welcome,
So ..what exactly are we talking about when you say "test your skills"? some people have spent countless hours sculpting out full suit and then casting them...we all have different skills...but it is the love for the character and the desire to suit up as one that unites us. Myself ..I like to conceptualize, Then I turn to my Lair brethren to help out with parts skins etc. I paint armor myself, design weapons kit bash all kinds off things to add to my suit. Be a little specific about what you want, what you think you can do on your own ..and we would be more then happy to lend a hand

My goal is to make everything myself except for the Head hands and feet basically i dont want to be clay sculpting. I have done it before and it takes a skill beyond my own. I have and airbrush and have done mostly model cars and air planes with it. I have made some Pepakura Halo armor before so when i say test my skills i mean steping my airbrushing up and going from halo armor to the beast of a predator suit.

Sounds like the same point as me. I am buying everything you are, but I also want to buy some skin raw and paint everything myself.

I went ahead and made a duct tape dummy of my waist up (damn my wife and her camera when I was all taped up!). I bought some foam sheets at walmart, some basic art stuff, ordered some Sintra to eventually make my armor out of, and started working on what I wanted for my armor. That alone has been a much slower and much more gratifying experience. In one week, all I have done is mock up one side of shoulder armor, and I am still tweaking it. So many things to do. Picking one thing to work on has really helped me feel less overwhelmed. Now in the evening, I sneak into my little room in the garage, crank up my iTunes, and just draw, cut, tape, mock, rinse, repeat. I know that my taste will probably change as I work on my stuff so I am trying not to jump right into the expensive items I am going to source out.

Hope this helps somehow.

--Josh

Good advice all round and I agree about getting the head/bio first. This is the crucial part of the whole build and the best armour in the planet will look naff with a crap head. If you're already into airbrushing transferring your skills to mask painting shouldn't be too difficult. One thing to look out for is the paint scheme you use. If you have a long period between painting the head and rest of body make sure you have an accurate account of the way you painted the first piece, otherwise you'll have a beast of a job matching the colours. Take a note of all your colours, the order you sprayed them and photos of the different layers. I guarantee it will save you a ton of trouble.
Good luck.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back