Help please with my costume for Saphir/Sapphire from sailor Moon

Cetxw3

I am pretty new to costume making, and this has been puzzling me for weeks now. My husband and I are dressing up as Saphir/Sapphire and Petz/Prisma for Halloween, and Saphir's shirt has me stumped. He's got silver charms on his shirt and I have no idea what to use for them. My last resort is cutting them from foam and spray painting them silver, but I don't think that will look very good. Any suggestions on what to use instead? I've attached a few pictures of the character for reference.

Attachments

• 6578228.jpg
    6578228.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 2,502
  • large.jpg
    large.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 333
A number of costume addons lately have been based on puff paint or puff ink. The fabric ink is painted or screened onto the fabric and then heated to provide a raised, 3D puffed effect. This has been used for insignia like Star Trek, arm stripes for Star Wars Rogue One, etc. The puff can be achieved with a heat gun after printing or painting. Obviously test your fabric and technique before doing a complete costume. The puff additive can be added to any compatible ink so you should be able to choose the color you need.

Another option would be to look for small mirror pieces - you can find packs at hobby/craft stores. If you get a variety of sizes and shapes you can glue them on the shirt with a gel super glue (Gorilla and LockTite have good ones).

use thin aluminum sheet you can buy at hardware stores. 0.02 inches thick or half a mm thick. Easy to cut, just make sure you use a file to unsharpened edges and corners.

*or* consider beads and use a straight rod of aluminum. The beads can be sewn to the shirt, but when you wash that shirt, make sure t is in a protective bag.

I assume the rod portion dangles and moves with the character.

as JPH mentioned, personally I would make strands of white or silver bugle beads with a round bead on top, and then sew them to the fabric. Beads are really nice for adding a lot of flashiness to an outfit without looking out of place. Beads honestly would be your best option, as they complement the Sailor Moon art style pretty well.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back