Help Please!! Need Advice Page 3!!

Re: Han Solo DL44 blaster Blast Tech

I'll be going off these plans http://www.paperrobots1999.com/downloads/DL44_ESB_rev14.pdf
On them, 1 square= 1 inch

By the by, in case I need to, where are some facilities where I could get machined aluminum for the mount and flash hider? Again, only if I need to. And how far from the magazine should I cut the barrel?

They were my base for my first build, nice and useable, but not really accurate - but most wouldn´t notice the difference.

Take a caliper and some good pics, and scale everything to your Denix - should give better results.

I know there is a ebay shop from Argentine who sells the flashhiders, "Fenix-props" or "Evolution-toys" - not sure which and how to write it, but should be easily found when searching for "Star Wars props".

The place to cut depends on the flashhider you use - get that first and decide then.

Vince at Corellian Exports - Since 1999 has sold blaster parts in the past. He really knows his blaster parts as he has done extensive research in all the Han blasters for years now.

If you use the Blast Tech suppressor the best thing to hold it up to the end of the barrel and mark the barrel where the suppressor ends. Then measure the depth of the inside of the supressor to where it stops on the inside (you can only stick the muzzle in so far till it stops). Take that measurement and add it to the barrel from where you marked it for your cut line. The idea is that the muzzle go about as far as the original barrel.

One other thing, I have not studied blasters too much and ihave bee naway for a few years and do not know what new info has risen, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

From what I understand about Han's blaster in ESB. His blaster you see on Hoth was not available during the Bespin filming. So instead he used Luke's this is why it is called the Han/Luke shared. Luke's is pretty much bare on the other side, just a few small bit but no pistons.

Here is my Luke/Han shared (not blast-tech)

myesbwood.jpg

I believe another difference in the Luke and Han is Luke has a spacer between scope mount and the gun frame.

Here is the one I had prior to the one above. This IS using BlasTech parts.

myesbblaster.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks for everything guys. I'll use it all when it comes time to build. So I got another email from blast tech, and he says the only part he has in stock is the scope mount. I can get everything else except the scope. Where can I get a resin M19 scope? Should I ask Correlian exports?

Where can I get a resin M19 scope? Should I ask Correlian exports?

No, ask User TK 4702 - he makes some superb brass powdered scopecasts. Nice, cold as metal, and heavier than pure resin ones.

I bought 3 of that version, they are the best M19 casts i´ve seen up to now.

Maybe you are lucky and he has still some.

I have no recommendations for a resin scope. I'm not a fan although I understand how it is when you have limited options you got to do what you got to do. Mine pictured above are cast in brass, machined out, fitted with faux lenses and screw-in optic rings. They were a limited run someone did 10 years ago. I am not sure if anyone does them anymore but it is the next best thing to a real scope

Thanks Everyone. I now have the list of all parts I think I need, tell me what you think. Am I missing anything?

Denix Mauser 1896/C96 replica
Aluminum Flash hider
M19 scope
M19 aluminum scope mount
Revell Piston
Revell Motor Coil box (for back)
2 pieces above trigger

I know i can get everything BUT the scope ATM.

Last edited:

So if I buy a black mauser, would I need to clean and paint it? Ad how should I go about weathering? Should I use dry brush, or actually scrape it?

If you are getting a denix, I would strip all the paint off it. It is not very good and you can give it a better paint job. Also, you need to sand off the diamond denix logo and the little nub that the hammer strikes.

Once you paint it, you can use steelwool to weather the desire areas. Take a look a reference photos to help you decide where to weather to the metal.

If you get a resin scope. You want to paint it brass first with some good coats. Then you want to hit it with the black. You need to e careful when weathering off the black paint because you do not want to rub through the brass paint.

Most people use black paint to make the suppressor look weathered and burnt. I prefer Aluminum Black. You can find it a gun shops. you add coats till it darkens to the color you want and then you weather it down to the desired look. Warning, the Blas Tech muzzle is anodized so the AB will not work until you sand off that coating.

Thank you sir! That's a REAL big help to me. I won't be getting a blast tech muzzle, only a cope mount from them. To strip off paint, would you recommend chemicals, or sanding it all off? And good tip on the scope and steel wool.

If you are getting a denix, I would strip all the paint off it. It is not very good and you can give it a better paint job. Also, you need to sand off the diamond denix logo and the little nub that the hammer strikes.

Once you paint it, you can use steelwool to weather the desire areas. Take a look a reference photos to help you decide where to weather to the metal.

If you get a resin scope. You want to paint it brass first with some good coats. Then you want to hit it with the black. You need to e careful when weathering off the black paint because you do not want to rub through the brass paint.

Most people use black paint to make the suppressor look weathered and burnt. I prefer Aluminum Black. You can find it a gun shops. you add coats till it darkens to the color you want and then you weather it down to the desired look. Warning, the Blas Tech muzzle is anodized so the AB will not work until you sand off that coating.

And good tip on the scope and steel wool.

I had several standard resin M19, don´t pay more that 10-15$ for such.

I still would suggest to contact TK4702 for his brasspowder version. Thats so much better than painting them bronze + black and weathering, or black with bronze drybrushing.

No, definatly not - it adds realism if you keep the original finish combined with new parts.

That would be true if you it were a real mauser but you are talking about a cheap replica... and guess what... it has cheap paint as well.

It comes off very easy.. almost too easy which is another reason to strip it off. Just use steel wool or a moderate grit sand paper. You do not have to take every bit of black off just well enough to prep the surface for painting. Do not worry, this does not really take too long

Another reason you want to paint it is because you are going to need to once you sand off the logo. So you might as well sand it and have a good surface to paint on.

You can use flat black or satin black. Satin black looks more like real weapons but if you look as ESB blaster mauser props in the movie, they appear to be flat black.

Thanks man! I contacted him, and he said he can get me one!
I had several standard resin M19, don´t pay more that 10-15$ for such.

I still would suggest to contact TK4702 for his brasspowder version. Thats so much better than painting them bronze + black and weathering, or black with bronze drybrushing.

That's probably true about the paint...I'll see once I get it. I'm just glad I dont need paint stripper, cause that stuff is really nasty to have around. And do I need to prime it? If so, I'll use gray primer.
That would be true if you it were a real mauser but you are talking about a cheap replica... and guess what... it has cheap paint as well.

It comes off very easy.. almost too easy which is another reason to strip it off. Just use steel wool or a moderate grit sand paper. You do not have to take every bit of black off just well enough to prep the surface for painting. Do not worry, this does not really take too long

Another reason you want to paint it is because you are going to need to once you sand off the logo. So you might as well sand it and have a good surface to paint on.

You can use flat black or satin black. Satin black looks more like real weapons but if you look as ESB blaster mauser props in the movie, they appear to be flat black.

Interesting idea - showering them all over with black paint. Might make it look as toyish as the MR stuff.

And why should someone tread a old Mauser in another way than a MGC or a Denix? At the moment the first hole is drilled to make it a spacetoy, the mauser is ruined.

That's probably true about the paint...I'll see once I get it. I'm just glad I dont need paint stripper, cause that stuff is really nasty to have around. And do I need to prime it? If so, I'll use gray primer.

You do not need to prime it simply because when you do weather it, you want to see surface metal and not risk primer showing. Just make sure it is free of debris and paint in light layers. Good advice in painting is do not try go for complete coverage all in one coat. Light coats, letting each coat dry.

Interesting idea - showering them all over with black paint. Might make it look as toyish as the MR stuff.

For the most part, that is the way the real props appear. I always encourage people to do their own research and do what they think is right if in doubt. When you look at Han's ROTJ blaster, the scope is clearly the original shiney color but the rest looks the same flat type black. If I had to guess, and I am guessing, the scopes on the ESB are probably their original color but it is hard to tell because the tones are so similar and the scope is textured. If you desire, you could always do a satin on the scope and flat on the rest if you feel that it should be different colors.

Like i said earlier, I am no expert on blasters, there are people on this board like Corellian Exports who have studied ever little detail of every version of the blaster. I'm sure if you do a forum search you can probably find some good reference photos and great tips.

Last edited:

there are people on this board like Corellian Exports who have studied ever little detail of every version of the blaster. I'm sure if you do a forum search you can probably find some good reference photos and great tips.

I think that is not neccessary. ;)

It´s interesting to look for the old stuff, but in the last years many new developments arrised (or at least old "knowledge" had to be adjusted in the important details).

And if i need to ask for a detail when building blasters, i know which persons i will ask. :D

But one thing is correct stated - always crosscheck everything and do your own research.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back