Help painting eva iron man~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

gavilan

hey you guys my buddy mothman and I are working on a eva foam iron man, and were stuck on what kind of paint to use ... any suggestions? any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Re: Help painting eva iron man~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

GetAttachment.aspx

Re: Help painting eva iron man~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

I dont know what you did to seal the foam but I used Krylon and Rustoleum paint that I got at wal-mart.

For the red color I used Krylon - Cherry Red Gloss.

I paint the foam first with a watered down Elmer's glue. Or you can slow cook it until it separates. Look online for that. Anyway, I coat the foam with the glue mix and wait for it to dry. It creates a skin that is bonded to the foam and looks like it's made of plastic but is still flexible. Then, use whatever spray paint scheme you are going for. Test on a spare piece of foam and see if you agree with the results before you go guns blazin' on the nice suit you've got. *my 2 cents* ;-)

1. go to Wal-Mart

2. head over to the craft section

3. find ModgePodge(in spray or by the tub)

4. apply modge podge to the foam

5. go to Ace Hardware or Sears and buy PlastiDip spray

6. spray foam with plastidip

7. go to an auto parts store, buy an adhesion promoter spray, Duplicolor Dark Cherry Metallic, and Sunburst Gold, plus a argent Silver if you're doing a MK6

8. spray gold, then tape off and spray silver(opt.) then tape off and spray red.

9. have a beer, or a root beer if under age

10. Winning

I always use either plastidip or Rustoleum plastic primer to seal the foam and trust me you want to seal it.
Here's the difference between painting right over the foam and, in this case, the plastic primer. The colors are much more vibrant and true.

317015_10150908946015317_540370316_21373442_111622206_n.jpg

391013_10150908946270317_540370316_21373446_512264358_n.jpg

Last edited:

1. go to Wal-Mart

2. head over to the craft section

3. find ModgePodge(in spray or by the tub)

4. apply modge podge to the foam

5. go to Ace Hardware or Sears and buy PlastiDip spray

6. spray foam with plastidip

7. go to an auto parts store, buy an adhesion promoter spray, Duplicolor Dark Cherry Metallic, and Sunburst Gold, plus a argent Silver if you're doing a MK6

8. spray gold, then tape off and spray silver(opt.) then tape off and spray red.

9. have a beer, or a root beer if under age

10. Winning

:lol your #10 is great advise LOL

I had a lot of luck with the following combination...

* Plasti-dip (2-3 coats)
* Adhesive Promoter (2 coats)
* Dupli-color auto paint (RED: Dark Cherry Metallic, GOLD: Sunburst Metallic Gold
* (optional) clear coat for plastics

5792497344_431c1bec88.jpg

Here's a picture of the back of my son's suit. The chest, arms and legs are done using this method. The cod piece is hardened fiberglass and bondo (same with the helmet - not pictured). The boots are actually part resin plastic and part eva foam - they all match pretty good using this method on the eva foam and just primer and auto paint on the hardened pieces.
6292233772_b07fb6476d.jpg

Things I dont understand... Why usa PVA on the foam... if its a rigid paint... and it cracks ( it happened with me) ...
Why use primmer over plastidip? wont it hold the flexiness of the plastidip? wont it crack? Why not use primmer directly to the foam?

plastidip directly on the foam makes the edges curl, painting without sealing, plastidipping and adhesion promoting will make the paint crack faster.

So... plastidip and adhesive promother... should or shouldnt be used together? I didnt get it lol. Since Im from Brazil Im, trying to develop a different way to paint it... I usually use water based enamel paint... but it tends to stick to it self...

Plasti dip first

Adhesion promoter over plasti dip

Then paint

I didn't use adhesion promoter on my build but I think it's better to do so.

is it ModgePodge? or mod podge? I was also looking into painting foam but I cant find modge podge at walmart.

is it ModgePodge? or mod podge? I was also looking into painting foam but I cant find modge podge at walmart.

It's Modge Podge. Its in the craft section next to the foam at all the wal-marts but they usually only have 1 or 2 bottles in stock, so it's prolly sold out ...

Michaels and Jo-anne fabrics always has a bunch in stock but they charge an extra dollar or so for it.

Im looking online right now..I am googleing modge podge but it is only showing mod podge..can you find it online and send a link? Im not trying to prove anyone wrong here, I just want to find it so I can get started on my painting since my wrist is still too missed up to keep building.

Edit: ok I guess I found it. Its wierd that the bottle says mod podge but you search it under modge podge...thanks anyway

Im looking online right now..I am googleing modge podge but it is only showing mod podge..can you find it online and send a link? Im not trying to prove anyone wrong here, I just want to find it so I can get started on my painting since my wrist is still too missed up to keep building.

Edit: ok I guess I found it. Its wierd that the bottle says mod podge but you search it under modge podge...thanks anyway

haha I'm sorry about that :confused

I been telling my friends Modge Podge too and none of them corrected me, so I thought I was right :cry

But I'm happy you managed to find it. I personally used plasti dip spray to seal mine but I heard that Mod Podge gives it a real shiny smooth surface.

Try to find a big container of it because all I seen in store are the size of a bottle of advil. I know for a fact you're going to need a lot of it

If you're looking to 'harden' your foam creations, Mod Podge works (and is less toxic that other options). However, I've been very pleased by how standard 2-part epoxy 'hardens' the foam pieces I needed/wanted more rigid.

I did this for connection points, hand-plates, elbow pieces, etc.

Hi Guys,

I have a new process that takes a lot of labor but will give you a true hard coat finish with a touch of flex wher you need it. Warning you will only have the mobility in the joints of the Hot Toys figure. I ordered two, 2 quart kits of Styro spray 1000 from industrial polymers in Texas. You paint it on in four coats. I did learn that you should sponge dab on the first few coats, Sand with 60 grit then paint on the last two coats. If you sand the finish with 60 grit and 100 grit, Hi-build up primer two coats, wet sand with 220 grit then immediately hit it with wet 1200 grit. This two week nightmare will give you an automotive finish to apply what ever paint you like. I did go cheap at the end ion paint to finish for halloween with cherry red hi gloss krylon, gloss clear coat, then a black paint and water blackwash over the whole suit then add silver rub n buff on some edges for slight weathering. This process is really hard but I took on three nightclubs this weekend and the suit doesn't have a scratch on it except for the cod/inner thigh friction point.

I've got problems with my PVA glue and camping mats. I can peel the PVA glue off my foam when it's completely dry? Is that normal?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back