Help needed with technique for building a replica (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by av32productions, Mar 29, 2015.

1. av32productions

av32productions New Member

I need help. I really want to build a replica of the wizard from an old disney show called Phil of the future. Its not so much that i need help with dimensions or with the normal help with building a prop but help with what technique i could use. i have gathered as many reference pics as i can being that the show was only released on dvd once. That dvd only having two episodes featuring the prop in question. I am wondering what materials look like i could use to recreate this piece of my childhood.

SbfAR75.jpg

t46VrLU.jpg

BMyxEBo.png

zHVT4Fj.png

qqbKi9c.png

KtF04t8.png

84EjLeg.png

HwRIgTp.png

MsmDoMk.png

QA01gR6.png

Yj8imTK.jpg

hzH4Axf.png

TZoh93g.png

137NoH9.png

w6kbchZ.jpg

ycv3rpH.jpg

YRluHw0.jpg

These are literally all the pictures i could find. Again im just looking for help with people who have made props before and maybe how i could go about doing this. also any possible kit bashing done here

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. Duncanator

Duncanator Sr Member

I'd use layers of acrylic and MDF(medium density fiberboard). The clear parts; obviously, would be acrylic. The painted parts could be acrylic too, but MDF is easier for most people who aren't comfortable with acrylic to work with.

3. av32productions

What would i use to fill in the gaps of the mdf?

4. Duncanator

Duncanator Sr Member

I like Bondo type fillers, but regular wood spackle works great too. It just takes a little longer to dry.

5. av32productions

Thanks. Any idea as to how i could do the curved clear bit around the handle, or how to do the shiny metal parts, other than spinning aluminum?

6. Dracosfire83

Dracosfire83 Well-Known Member

The shiny metal top piece shape reminds me of a souvenir rolled penny.

7. av32productions

8. paulp

paulp Active Member

Yeah, I like the rolled penny idea. The other option would be to cut it out of thin layer of K&S Metals aluminum sheets. Two or three layers would be enough to give thickness. Bend them to the shape you want, then use thin superglue to hold them together.

9. av32productions

that isn't a bad idea on the antenna. ive been playing with the idea of vacuum metalizing or using crome paint but I don't have any experience with that

10. av32productions

UPDATE: I have found some low quality episodes online and more reference pics. still not sure how ill do the chrome antenna or the clear grips. i might try casting in resin

rYtTA53.jpg

Xl5ZtYQ.jpg

YndqWjD.jpg

jyugeOX.jpg

nb4fIQM.png

kQcvuGv.png

xLHMSjD.jpg

Attached Files: