Help Needed: Flat Space Bracelet

Zaphod

Sr Member
Hey all,

Never made jewelry before, but, this looks pretty easy.

uv2033.jpg

I think I can sculpt this, but, don't know if I should sculpt it flat or so that it is curved?

I want to cast this in metal, but, I've never worked in metal before. Can anyone recommend the cheapest metal that I can work with that DOESN'T tarnish? Once I know that, I can start researching how to do metal work.

The original is made in silver and measures 2.75" in diameter.

Thanks

Originally posted by shuktuki@Apr 12 2006, 11:10 AM
i would sculpt it flat and then cast it from pewter
pewter is very easy to melt
soit would be your best bet
[snapback]1225060[/snapback]​
Will pewter tarnish if warn?
Thanks

it can sometmes leave a black mark on skin
also if you do cast in metal make sure the mold you use is bone dry
any moisture at all in the mould will cause steam which will throw out molten metal
into the air (learnt that the hard way)

Originally posted by shuktuki@Apr 12 2006, 12:56 PM
it can sometmes leave a black mark on skin
also if you do cast in metal make sure the mold you use is bone dry
any moisture at all in the mould will cause steam which will throw out molten metal
into the air (learnt that the hard way)
[snapback]1225124[/snapback]​

I was reading about the moisture bit here: http://www.warehamforge.ca/pewter.html

i usually sculpt my prototypes in plastacine
then cast in plaster of paris

from there its a somple matter of placing a piece of woodon the back and clamping it in place and then just pour the pewter
i hope this project works out for you it looks a nice prop

The proper way to do this would be to make your original from wax. Once you've got the wax master it's attached with a wax sprue to a rubber pipe cap. A metal pipe large enough to encase your project is placed over it and snuggly in the base. It's filled with Investment, a plaster of Paris type of substance. Must be careful to get all bubbles out. After it hardens (24 hours) the end cap is removed. It'll leave you with a wax original encased in Investment. This is the part where the average person has a problem. The wax needs to be burned out in a kiln. Once this is done, you can use a small crucible to melt your metal, be it Pewter, Silver, Gold, Platinum, etc., and pour it in to your mold. The mold is heated up again in the kiln before casting. Investment is removed in water. with screwdrivers or the like.

Jay

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back