Help! My air compressor is overheating!

Scrapps

I am about ready to chuck this piece of junk out the window!

I probably get a good half an hour, give or take, of airbrushing done , then it cuts off because it's overheating. Then it takes a good 2-3 hours to get cool enough for me to use again. I've got a TC20 compressor and my garage is nowhere near a "hot" temperature and isn't especially humid or dry so I doubt it has anything to do with the environmental conditions. Did I get just get a bad one? Does it need to be repaired? Or am I doing something wrong?

I googled it and kept getting pages trying to sell me the compressor, rather than to solve an overheating problem

Please, If anyone knows how to either stop it from overheating or at least shorten the time it takes to be safe to use again (safely, of course,) that would be a big help.

Thanks,
Scrapps.

I bought a compressor that overheated - found out it was a cheap imitation of the better brand. I got the real deal and had no problems today.
The only problem I have now is keeping my airbrush clog and "cold" free. I'm damn near chucking that thing out the window :D

If it has it, check the oil level. Friction builds heat.

If your overusing it then there's nothing else you can do (see the previous 2 posts). Most light duty compressors aren't meant to run at 100% duty cycle.

I'm not familiar with the model you're using but the first compressor I bought was ***** for the same reason you've outlined. I replaced it with an Airmaster 8/36 which is different class. I was able to spray paint a near 7ft Predator without it cutting out once. I needed to re-charge the reservoir every 5-10 min of continuous use but it never overheated. My first hobbyist compressor needed re-charged after about 1 min if I recall correctly. Soon started to overheat and cut out. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

You need to know what size of nozzle you're using with your airbrush and contact the company to find out how long their compressor runs before either the reservoir runs out of air pressure, or it overheats. Chances are the compressor you've got is underspecified for the task your doing.

Good luck.

Personally, I went to Home Depot and purchased a PorterCable 135 PSI 6 gallon compressor for $150.00.
Only complaint I ever had is that it's loud when it "refills/recharges", otherwise never an issue!

Thanks everyone. I haven't really been checking this post because I've been on con crunch time but I'm back. I oiled it up and it worked a bit better. To the point where 1/2 an hour turned into about 4-5 hours of work. But, that only worked for about two days. I'm thinking about just getting a new compressor. I'll look into the models you guys suggested.

Thanks for all your help.
~Scrapps.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back