Help me ID the scale of this Macross Valkyrie

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Art Andrews, May 22, 2012.

1. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

I believe this is the foot of a 1:72 Armored Valkryie, but something about it, makes me think that 1:72 scale might be too small. The piece above it is a 1:24 Brutishdog foot and that is what I used to get the measurements you see below.

If you have a Valkyrie in any scale and could measure the foot, I would greatly appreciate getting an idea of which scale this is.

View attachment 95472

2. pengbuzz

pengbuzz Well-Known Member

I think that may be an IMAI 1/100 Valkyrie foot in Gerwalk or Soldier mode. Usually, most of the valk models have a two piece closing foot except for the small IMAI ones. But if anyone has a positive ID on this, I'll admit my mistake.

3. Art Andrews

I have been looking at the 1:100, but it just seemed like that foot of the 1:100 would be smaller than that... and they are PRICEY kits... so I hate to spend the money, only to find it isn't the right scale. I tend to believe whatever it is, it is an "Armored Valkyrie" as there are other parts of the Armored Valkyrie on the backpack, but this is the only one in close enough relation to another part to estimate the size.

4. silentknight229

silentknight229 Member

I don't have any of the VF-1's but I do have the YF-19 in 1/60 scale and the length on the foot of my YF-19 is pretty close to your measurement. Scale wise the two mechs are fairly close so I'm thinking it's 1/60. Hopefully someone can chime in to confirm that for you. I plan on getting some VF-1's just not anytime soon due to cost.

Steve

5. mitts3211

mitts3211 New Member

Just checked the foot pods out on my Hasegawa battroids, they're all two piecers so no dice there. I'd say it was it was a 1:72 Imai battroid foot, but then I remembered that Yamato(?) made 1:60 battroids a few years ago. Pricey either way.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  6. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It would help to know what that's on, what the assumed age of the piece is. If you have to go back to the early years (say '82 to '84) and are positive that it's an Armored 1J, then you're looking at a really narrow range. Imai's armored were :100, Arii's were :72. Bandai was also :100, but hit a bit later.

7. Art Andrews

This would be an 80s era model for sure. The item it is on is the original Predator backpack (Predator came out in 87, so I would think nothing later than 85). I am very frustrated by this because there are three pieces on the Predator pack that seem to be tied to some variant of the Valkyrie. I will post them up tomorrow and give you my thoughts on them.

8. mslz22

mslz22 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just checked the gewalk only kit and I get 5.5cm almost exactly, so that seems a bit small. I will say that I do not have the 1/100 armored GBP valk, but i do have the 1/72, and the 1/72 has rivets on it so i don't think it's that one. It may be the 1/100 armored GBP as the feet on the GBP are over sized to compensate for the armor. If you post a pic of the other armor that is on the backpack i may be able to help track it down, as there is a difference between the GBP armor and the superarmor. If it winds up being from the gerwalk only kit I may even have a spare set of the feet....
    mike

9. Art Andrews

OK, here are the other two Valkyrie parts on the backpack. I feel confident one is a 1:72 part and one is a 1:100 part... the kits are very expensive, so I haven't bought either yet. If anyone can confirm this, I would be very grateful. This still doesn't answer the issue with the foot. :(

10. mslz22

Here is a pic of the foot and the missile pack. The missile pack is from the 1/72 GBP and the foot is from the 1/72 super with gerwalk option. I know the foot may not be long enough but give it a look, I get about 3.2cm for the height. If you have an approx length on the booster part, the one you think is from the 1/100 I can check that against my 1/72.

How many of the 1/72 missile packs do you need? I have 1 extra, if it is the only part you wind up needing from the 1/72 you can have it.
    mike

11. Art Andrews

Holy cow! I only need one of those missile packs! I'd be more than happy to buy that one from you! What is GBP? I am not familiar with that variant.

Let me check that foot and get back to you.

Thanks for the info and update!

12. mslz22

GBP is the heavy armor variant, the one that the missile pack comes from, as well as that booster part. It a bit confusing because there is "super" armor and then GBP heavy armor.

The missile pack is yours, just PM me your address. You can have a foot as well to inspect it in person. I don't have the 1/100, but those don't get as costly as the 1/72nd kit, so i hope the booster part is from that one.
    mike

13. Art Andrews

This is good to see the 1:72 foot. I think not only is it a bit small, but clearly the overall shape and detailing is off.

Is it just me or is there some type of cube/block detailing on the bottom of the front toe on the part on the Predator pack?

View attachment 95914

View attachment 95915

14. Art Andrews

IF the scale remains the same and is somewhat true, based on the measurement of your 1:72 foot vs the measurement of the foot on the backpack... my estimate is that the foot on the backpack is 1:60 scale. Were there any 1:60 scale Valkyries back in the 80s? I know there are now, but they all appear to be prebuilt toys, not models. Keep in mind that there are a LOT of estimations and assumptions to reach that 1:60 scale, so I could be totally wrong.

15. mslz22

No 1/60's back then. There was a 1/55 toy but the foot did not look like that. Let me check the 1/72 soldier only kit for a measurement. I know that the ones i have have a U shape cut out of them for a ball joint, but maybe they filled it? I know that is not likely....I do still think that it may be the 1/100 foot from the 1/100 armored GBP, those feet one the GBP are over sized. Part of the issue with the 1/100 is that i think the foot is 1 part instead of 2 halves. I will see if i can find someone who has that kit to take a pic.
    mike

16. mslz22

Soldier only foot, do you think they may have filled it to make the V shape? I know it's unlikely but I can almost see the U shape in the foot, but i don't know if my eyes are playing tricks on me..
    mike

17. Art Andrews

HELLO!!! No question in my mind. That's it! The scale is right, the shape is right. The detail is right!

So, what is that kit called?

18. mslz22

Cool, it's pretty much any of the 1/72 Battroid only kits. Imai did the original release in the 80's but Bandai re released the kits in the 90's. I am pretty sure the Bandai kits are the same tooling but i will check, those are usually cheaper because they are not vintage.
    mike

19. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This has nothing to do with anything but I just gotta say, what yamato has done for fans of macross is amazing.

20. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Isn't the Bandai model hasbro used for the Generation 1 transformer Jetfire 1/60? That's what most transformers sites say.

21. Talos

Talos Member

No, that would be the Takatoku 1/55 transforming VF-1. Bandai produced it as well though. Jetfire is discussed in this podcast.

History of the Takatoku VF-1 Valkyrie Toy - YouTube

22. bishop375

bishop375 New Member

Talos is spot on. The 1/55 scale is for both the Bandai/Takatoku Valkyrie (also Hasbro's Jetfire, including Macross markings in the first run by accident).

There are myriad toy versions, 1/100, 1/60, 1/48, and the above mentioned 1/55. And that doesn't even start into the model kits.

I'm a bit of a Macross/Robotech nut, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

23. Talos

Talos Member

I'm a big Macross fan, so a lot of the profile art I've drawn has been Macross variable fighters, so this thread drew my eye as well.

I actually have a pair of the 1/60 VF-1 toys (both of Max Jenius's from the original show) and one 1/48 (Hikaru's from the show). I don't have any from the movie.

24. Art Andrews

I am SUPER thrilled to add these to pieces to the collection thanks to mslz22! Yet another mystery solved thanks to the incredibly diverse membership of the RPF!

View attachment 98857

View attachment 98858