HELP!! Issues with easyflo 120 Cast

poochums

Hello there,

I am new to the forum and am in desperate need of some advice.

I have created a cast out of EasyFlo 120. from an original sculpture which was made out of Monster Clay.
For some reason, upon opening the cast the monster clay was stuck hard to the insides - despite my
using the appropriate spray release.

I have managed to pick nearly every bit out which has taken me over 24 hours.
The cast is very detailed with life like skin textures covering most of it - and the monster clay
though 98% gone is still lingering in the pours and creases - almost as a brown tint rather than chunks.

I have scrubbed with toothbrush and lighter fluid/Terpentine substitute but the brown tint wont shift.

I am worried that when I come to cast my final piece out of platinum silicone (Platsil) that the tiny amounts of residue
will transfer onto the silcone and ruin the piece.

I am using Ultra 4 Epoxy Parfilm mold release on the cast before I start the silicone process - will this succesfully stop the clay residue from
ruining the final piece?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Yours desperately - Tim

Here is a photo of the 'brown tint'. Like I said, have tried hair dryer, acetone, lighter fluid and terpentine substitute and scrubbed hard with a toothbrush but it just wont budge.

tint.jpg

At this point you might try a small test of the silicone to see if it transfers.

I would wager that it was either not the appropriate release agent used, or it did not create a sufficient barrier if it was stuck so much in the mold. You might experiment with that, too, next time.

I don't think silicone pigments work with urethane, but you might as well do a tiny test batch to see. There are urethane specific pigments that work great, but you can also use Proline/CalTint/PaintSolutions, which I believe are designed for tinting paint and concrete.

Hi ChickenHaunt,

Im locking in on you now as you are the only user that has responded to my post :lol - sorry!
If you could offer your advice on this area of the project then id really appreciate it as I cant seem to find anything
online that specifically discusses it.

I decided to separate the trunk on my model as I was worried it would cause problems. (see photo)
Now I am arriving at the point where I must attach the two separate pieces to each other and was
wondering if there is a right or wrong way to do this?

I was going to use metal armature to connect the two pieces and then build the same colour silicone around the join gap.
Is that feasable? Also as you can probably see to the right of the trunk there are some areas the silicone didnt fully form.
Is it simple enough to just fill them in with blobs of the afore mentioned appropriately coloured silicone?

Hope this makes sense - any help greatly appreciated.

Tim

TRUNK.JPG

It's hard to tell what we're looking at there. I'll typically use Silpoxy from Smooth On when joining two silicone pieces. Then, yes, you can seam and patch with small batches of the original silicone with the same tint. You can add a thixotropic agent to make it more paste like if needed. That's why it's a good idea to keep some tinted, but unmixed material from your original batch.

Hello there,

I am new to the forum and am in desperate need of some advice.

I have created a cast out of EasyFlo 120. from an original sculpture which was made out of Monster Clay.
For some reason, upon opening the cast the monster clay was stuck hard to the insides - despite my
using the appropriate spray release.

I have managed to pick nearly every bit out which has taken me over 24 hours.
The cast is very detailed with life like skin textures covering most of it - and the monster clay
though 98% gone is still lingering in the pours and creases - almost as a brown tint rather than chunks.

I have scrubbed with toothbrush and lighter fluid/Terpentine substitute but the brown tint wont shift.

I am worried that when I come to cast my final piece out of platinum silicone (Platsil) that the tiny amounts of residue
will transfer onto the silcone and ruin the piece.

I am using Ultra 4 Epoxy Parfilm mold release on the cast before I start the silicone process - will this succesfully stop the clay residue from
ruining the final piece?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Yours desperately - Tim
Hi I know it was a few years ago but did you find the right mold release as I am having the same problem. I did use air drying clay and macwax release but it sounds like it was pretty irrelevant if you were using monster clay with the right release agent?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back