Help in balancing restraint and building my skill

Hi guys, Like the title says, I'm having serious issues in practicing restraint and building my building skills. In other words I'm almost 50 yrs old and have just recently (in the past 6-10 yrs) started prop making. I have come to the conclusion that my skills are O.K. (not great but just O.K.) and at this age probably won't improve drastically in the next few years. My biggest issue is that every time I start a project I find many more that I want to start. Case in point, right now I have nine projects in the works and when I start looking for pictures, plans, advice etc. I've found eight or nine more builds I want to start.
It started with me looking at light sabers, that turned into concept light sabers, which lead to Ralph McQuarrie concept designs so what started out as a light saber has turned into plans for the two McQ Vader helmet designs, a full size concept R2-unit , all concept light sabers. Further research led to plans to build BB-8 ( static model ) and then wound up looking at making a Doctor Who Cyberman, which made me want to make "Handles" from A town called Christmas and then that led me to a Sonic Screwdriver light saber.
The cyberman gave me the idea to revisit making a foam Iron-Man suit , I then noticed a picture of a Kroenen helmet....and (Well you get the idea) This is now just another stress in life and causes me to rush through current projects leading to frustration and less then perfect results.
I may have ADD so can anyone give me some advice to reign in my creative wants and focus more on what I can do at the moment.

Thanks
JS

Unplug the computer from the internet until you finish something? Roll a dice to choose a project and push everything else into a dark corner, then unplug the internet until finished? Choose a project then build six of them concurrently (lets you get well-versed on it as you go along with the builds.) Or just don't worry about it and have fun 'messing around'.

Many paths to enlightenment!

Cheers! Robert

I know exactly where you are coming from. I have four different builds right now. My advice is this; designate a work area in your home or garage and only use that area. Odds are you can only work on a single project at a time in that space. The second thing to do is actually write down on paper your projects and what order you would like to complete them in. If you prioritize the projects you will know what you need to do and in what order. Do not go on line and second guess your skill set just because someone else has a better build. I am working on a Star Wars Falcon and I have seen that kit painted a 1000 different ways, but I only incorporate ideas that I like. Do not get hung up on what other people do or even how they do it. As far as your age, that is no excuse. I am older too but I have improved my skill sets time and again and it is because I do not give up trying new things. Last but not least, post a build as you work on it. People on here support members no matter what skill level and it will get you excited about completing the project, especially when you see how members get excited about your work in progress. Now, smile and go paint some plastic.

I say welcome to the insanity... Nearly everyone here has some form of this malady... Myself I usually hit a project hard until I run into something where I mess up and am not sure how to fix it... I then put it down to think of where to go from here... then start something else. When My skills get to where I thin I fix "whatever it was" I revisit... you wind up with a lot of "good, "almost finished" projects this way.

as for advice on how to get past that... I'd say first limit your "collection" to only those items you really have a STRONG pull for. for me that is the OT Star wars (Millennium Falcon mostly), and the TOS Star trek (including the movies)... although recently I have been doing TOS BSG - the Moebius kits are SOOOO nice. Anyway - forcing yourself to stick with your true loves will help stop the "chase of the next bright shiney object" syndrome. At least that's what I try to do.

Jedi Dade

Only nine projects? Count yourself lucky! Every modeler does this, has this, so don't beat yourself up about it, just relax and try to enjoy yourself, 'cause the fun is in the doing. And, every project you do teaches you something new, so when you go back to the other ones, they'll come out that much better! Personally, I love this hobby, and have been at it since I was a kid, but it's never something I pressure myself about.I have a countertop in my home office that's piled high end to end with started models, but there's no pressure, it's there for cheap therapy and fun when my real job (traditional sculptor, very stressful, at least for me...) gets to me and I need to relax. I probably get about 8-10 things done per year, and that's fine for me. Sometimes it's enough if I have a half an hour to do a little sanding, add a detail, clean up a part, ect. Makes all the tension go away, and I can say, at least I did something fun for me!

I am the same way....

I used to stress about it.. and then thought..

who am I building for? what am I doing this for even?

The answer: myself.

As long as I am happy, not ripping people off by not completing commissioned pieces, then I say do what feels good to/for you. I let my motivation and imagination guide me.

Sometimes this leaves with me open projects... but eventually I'll come back to them.

I have found it helps for me to make a 'check list' of things I want to get done on a certain project... then I can run through them and reference the list to keep focused.

Maybe find a local group to work with.. or involved internet friends..

I know for myself, when others are interested, it helps keep me going. So find some buddies to work with. :)

All your projects sound exciting! I have found that with any project, there are always parts of the build I either dread or put off until I feel like getting to it. With that idea in mind, I would work on whatever project excites you the most and when you feel a little burnt or get frustrated with a certain part of the build move to another untl you can figure what steps to take.

You're doing these for you so it's not like you're under any specific time constraint. Take advantage of the fact that you DO have so many projects already in the que and just enjoy the creative process. :)

Originally, 'advanced modeling syndrome' but 'anal' as in 'anal retentive' is more accurate... I should know, I've had it all my adult life!
;^P
R/ Robert

Same problem, I started with wanting to make a (as in only one) Millennium Falcon model, instead built a MPC x-wing. I'm only building one model currently, but I have kits for at least 3 Falcons, plus several other star wars ships. I never thought I'd get into prop building either, now I've got 3 lightsabers I'm collecting parts for plus one (completed) that I'm replacing grips on, and 3 DL-44 blasters in the works. It freaks me out sometimes when I think about how much money I've spent and how much work/waiting for parts I still have to deal with. I've got a list, and I'm prioritizing it, and knocking out the easy stuff first. Focus on one or two until complete is my plan, so one model and one prop at a time.

You know, we could all be doing much worse things with our time and money. We're all involved in a hobby that involves intelligence, research, creativity, and problem solving. We're not hurting anyone, and we're keeping out of trouble. Our spouses know where we are. If you look at how much it costs to be involved in other hobbies - golf, boating, ect - this hobby isn't too bad at all. Nothing is cheap any more, but hey, you gotta do something with your time!!

I've got a list ... well, technically two lists, big things and small things. I always try to build a big thing and a small thing at the same time, because when glue/paint/fibreglass is drying/curing on one, I can get on with the other.

The only downside to this is that my list(s) are so long that I'm going to have to live until I'm 174 to get everything on them done (so long as I don't add anything more)!! :lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back