Help Identifying Vader helmet?

Capn

Hi all! I'm hoping someone can help me with a lil' Dragoncon emergency. I let my perfectionism get the best of me and wanted to throw one more coat on the dome of this helmet. Murphy strikes, I've got a can of bad paint and stripping it gets me back to square one. Kind of wondering if I can find a replacement dome as time is short, can any of you tell me which version this is? It's been so long since I got it, I can't remember who did it, but I think it might be a JB. I know it's not the Don Post Deluxe because I actually have one of those, but it has the original paint and I don't want to beat it up at Con. Once I know who did it I'll be better able to hunt down another dome. Any help would be appreciated.
vader helmet.jpg

Perhaps you could try and rescue this mishap by using some solvent(?), light sanding and get a fresh can of gloss black paint for a quick and dirty touch up all over the dome ... let it dry fully ... wear it on the con, hardly anybody will notice if the rest of your Darth Vader is believable enough ... walk up straight and don't bend your head towards the kids to much ... play and act like Vader ... then when you get back home after the event ... focus on a proper repair job like you said by stripping perhaps and starting over . . . trust me it would be a lot easier than to try and score the proper dome for your facemask :)

Chaim

Yeah, I botched the solvent thing in magnificent manner. Ended up having to do a full strip which also ended badly Did you ever have one of those weeks when you just shouldn't touch anything???

It would take longer and cost more to get a replacement dome than it will to be patient and carefully reapply the paint, work methodically and be patient, ultimately you will be happier with the end result.

I'm 98% certain that's a Portumac Vader. The shape of the nose and the flat edging on the dome are consistent with his stuff.

Did you ever have one of those weeks when you just shouldn't touch anything???

Weeks? How about most of my crafting life ... and I mean from the time I tried to 'upgrade' a Mickey Mouse PVC figure to Supermouse . . . about 45 years ago :wacko ... and no I don't wanna talk about it either :facepalm

:lol

Chaim

@CS I wanted a bit more gloss to the overall finish and there were a couple of dimples. It's definitely a Portumac,...as soon as I saw the name it came back to me, thanks everyone!

I would, in general, avoid purchasing from Portumac directly at all costs. SithPlanet resells Porty's stuff. There has been controversy of Portumac pirating the eFX Darth Vader product and using that to bolster his own Vader helmet offering. He's not only retooled a casting to be his ESB helmet, but he also pirated the ACE Replicas aluminum chest box. He's been confronted on more than one occasion already by the Detachment Leader of the 501st, but plagiarism of a fellow fan's work is unacceptable. I do not fault anyone who innocently patronized Porty, but for future interested parties, I encourage doing research and find a reputable source for Vader props and parts.

Ugh,....I've been around the site a while now, and to be honest, I don't spend as much time on the forums as I do working on my projects. Popping in and out as I do, it always both amazes and saddens me to see how many of the folks who are considered reputable have taken the low road by the time I check back. Much obliged fro the heads up CS.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back