Help Identifying R2-D2 Part

womo68

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Help Identifying R2-D2 Part

Hey Guys,

I'm starting to fill in my R2 dome with servos and gadgets and thought I would add a Periscope and Lifeform scanner. I've got the periscope...and I wanted to stay close to the OT with the scanner. I need help id'ing what type of metal it's made of...here's a couple of pics...

sensorclose.jpg

R2Sensor.jpg

I'm thinking cheese grater or hot-roller hair brush.

What do you guys think? These were the best images I could find of the ESB one.

Thanks for any help, :thumbsup

Wayne

Hard to say exactly....if it is a found item or a cobbled together piece. The mesh looks very similar to the Vader Reveal neck mesh, maybe a smaller pattern. I know that Hobbytown has some similar stuff in the metals section, thin brass/bronze. Good luck.

Originally posted by bobasfett@Feb 7 2006, 07:33 PM
Hard to say exactly....if it is a found item or a cobbled together piece.  The mesh looks very similar to the Vader Reveal neck mesh, maybe a smaller pattern.  I know that Hobbytown has some similar stuff in the metals section, thin brass/bronze.  Good luck.
[snapback]1178497[/snapback]​

thanks for the reply...if anybody else has better screen caps...that would be great if you could share them.

womo

Almost looks like carbon fiber. You could go to the auto store and get carbon fiber decals cheap and put them on styrene or metal if you want a cheaper solution. Otherwise i am lost. Dont think its cobbled, the pattern is very perfect and even on the sheet metal. It definately came made from something

dan

Is it just me, or does the base of the scanner (where the arm poking out of the dome meets it) look an awful lot like an adaptor for a car cigarette lighter? The coiled cord would even be already attached.

Please feel free to correct me if someone else has already mentioned this years ago, it's the first time I've ever seen a large pic of it.

I was going to note, in the unidentified SW parts thread here, a pic of the pre-pro Fett gauntlet that shows an extendible metal rod with a coiled wrire around it.

It wasn't used on Fett but I wonder if it made its way onto Artoo as the supporting arm for the "dish"

Originally posted by womo68+Feb 7 2006, 07:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(womo68 @ Feb 7 2006, 07:37 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-bobasfett
@Feb 7 2006, 07:33 PM
Hard to say exactly....if it is a found item or a cobbled together piece.  The mesh looks very similar to the Vader Reveal neck mesh, maybe a smaller pattern.  I know that Hobbytown has some similar stuff in the metals section, thin brass/bronze.  Good luck.
[snapback]1178497[/snapback]​

thanks for the reply...if anybody else has better screen caps...that would be great if you could share them.

womo
[snapback]1178501[/snapback]​
[/b]

does anybody have a pic of the vader reveal neck mesh?

thanks guys,

womo

Seeing those pix made me think of my childhood wintertime friend..

Now its definately not this model, but maybe another? The metal piece could be easily be cut out in that shape, and voila..

heater725small.jpg

I agree with bobasfett and kurtyboy it looks strikingly similar to the Reveal mesh (can't find any photo at the moment). I've been looking for it for ages but have all but given up.

I'm pretty sure it's also used as the inside surface of Luke's prosthetic wrist at the end of ESB - check out the shot of 2-1B closing it up after Luke's had his new hand fitted.

Jeremy

Originally posted by gonk27@Feb 8 2006, 07:48 AM
I agree with bobasfett and kurtyboy it looks strikingly similar to the Reveal mesh (can't find any photo at the moment). I've been looking for it for ages but have all but given up.

I'm pretty sure it's also used as the inside surface of Luke's prosthetic wrist at the end of ESB - check out the shot of 2-1B closing it up after Luke's had his new hand fitted.

Jeremy
[snapback]1178831[/snapback]​

Man, I need to get some pics of that Vader reveal stuff....

Thanks for your help guys. Keep it coming.

womo

Here's what the replica stuff from a Vader Reveal kit looked like:
mesh.jpg

Originally posted by PropReplicator@Feb 8 2006, 05:11 PM
Vader reveal neck mesh: (This is a borrowed pic from darthblade.com. Let me know if you want it down.)

rotjpic9.jpg

W.
[snapback]1178973[/snapback]​

Originally posted by kurtyboy+Feb 8 2006, 04:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kurtyboy @ Feb 8 2006, 04:10 PM)</div>
Here's what the replica stuff from a Vader Reveal kit looked like:
mesh.jpg

<!--QuoteBegin-PropReplicator
@Feb 8 2006, 05:11 PM
Vader reveal neck mesh: (This is a borrowed pic from darthblade.com. Let me know if you want it down.)

rotjpic9.jpg

W.
[snapback]1178973[/snapback]​
[snapback]1179168[/snapback]​
[/b]

that looks pretty dang close. Any contacts where to get it?

Thanks,
Womo

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back