Help identifying helmet and pack

SEAWIZ

I'm a long-time lurker but a new member. Please let me know if this is the wrong place to post this. I'm trying to identify whether this helmet and pack are related to a particular movie or a one-off that someone created. The helmet is fiberglass and is wired with interior lights and fans. All of the hardware is stainless steel. The batteries are in the backpack. The center panel on the pack might be a control/access panel from some piece of equipment. Most of the lettering is cast into it. The only references to L.O.P.D. that I can find are the Low Orbit Police Department from the 2012 movie Lockout but I haven't been able to find any images that match. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you and have a great day.

Attachments

• ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 123
  • ss2.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 108
  • ss3.jpg
    ss3.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 103
  • ss4.jpg
    ss4.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 107
  • ss5.jpg
    ss5.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 109
  • ss6.jpg
    ss6.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 116
I love "Lockout". A cheesy, low budget throwback to 80s action movies like "Escape from New York" with a tough-as-nails. wisecracking hero that doesn't give a ****. What you've got there is the helmet and the backpack of the space suit the main character, Snow, wears in the movie. Either you've got a nice replica or maybe that very helmet has been worn by Guy Pearce. Do you know any of the history of the pieces?

Attachments

• lockout 1.jpg
    lockout 1.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 76
  • lockout 4.PNG
    lockout 4.PNG
    139.6 KB · Views: 77
Unfortunately, I don't. I bought it from Goodwill in Minnesota. Do you have any idea how to authenticate it? I'm a high school science teacher and I wanted to make a "spaceman" to decorate my class but I don't want to ruin something important.

Unfortunately, I don't. I bought it from Goodwill in Minnesota. Do you have any idea how to authenticate it? I'm a high school science teacher and I wanted to make a "spaceman" to decorate my class but I don't want to ruin something important.
Sorry, I don't. But I know there are some people on the RPF who might have that knowledge or know people who work in the movie business. With a little luck one of them comes across this thread.

Another idea would be to get in contact with The Prop Store of London, for example. They deal with real props all the time and might know how to authenticate a piece like this.

Have you tried to screen match the little irregularities on the backpack?!

lockout 42.jpg

I keep my fingers crossed that you found a genuine screen worn helmet and backpack, that would be super cool!

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. I've mainly looked at the RPF for ideas about how others have made their own versions of sci-fi/fantasy props so this process is new to me.

The stitching on the pack is actually kind of distinct so that may be the best place to start.

I did a little more digging and found out that Movies.com (Fandango) gave the suit away in a contest in 2012.

Thanks again for your help.

This could be the one from the contest. Someone could have entered the contest, who wasn't interested in it. Or died and the people dealing with his/her estate didn't realize it's legacy.

It's probably why some million dollar famous paintings end up getting found in homes where the owner has no knowledge of their worth.

TazMan2000

Regardless of if this is screen used or produced, it’s an awesome piece! What a find!

I must admit, I’ve never found anything that cool at a Goodwill. Lol

Oh and Lockout is a fun movie in that cheap 80’s action film sort of way.

I hope you find out more about this.

Thank you for the replies. I ordered a Blueray of the movie to see if I can find some images with better detail.

I saw the movie when it came out but I haven't seen it since.

When I first started trying to identify it, I searched for the movie and "spacesuit" and found pictures of a completely different suit so I thought I had the wrong movie. I never thought to search by the actor's name.

If anyone would like to see detailed pictures of how it was made let me know what you're interested in and I'll take closeups of everything that I can.

Also, if anyone has any idea what the panel in the center of the backpack came off of, I'd love to know. I worked on electronics in the Navy way back when and it looks very similar to the panels that were on some of my equipment.

Even if it's not an actual movie piece, somebody put a lot of time and work into it.

Thanks again.

Maybe posting this thread in the "Screen used costumes and props" could be the ticket to know more about the costume.
Mods?

I took a picture of my pack under similar lighting as the screenshot and it looks like some of the details match up. I also included another picture of some of the detail on the inside of the pack that matches another screenshot.

In the "detail 1" pictures the stitching in the corner seam and the buckle are similar and you can see the wire that goes between the battery in the pack to the lights and fans in the helmet.

In the "detail 2" pictures the corner stitching and folds look very similar.

I guess it's a good thing that I didn't modify this to use as a Halloween costume.:)

Attachments

• lockout picture detail 1.jpg
    lockout picture detail 1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Lockout picture detail 2.png
    Lockout picture detail 2.png
    163.1 KB · Views: 54
  • pack detail1.jpg
    pack detail1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
  • pack detail2.jpg
    pack detail2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
Since this may be an actual screen used piece, just have the mods move this thread to that section instead of having two posts that will just make things confusing and will eventually just be merged anyway.

Cool find.

Since this may be an actual screen used piece, just have the mods move this thread to that section instead of having two posts that will just make things confusing and will eventually just be merged anyway.

Cool find.
Just for the sake of argument, let's pretend that I'm an old fart with very little experience navigating through forums. How would I go about doing that?

don't know if this helps as its old and there are no links remaining to the contest site or details of winners etc. or if its even the same suit in question.
Thank you for the input. This could certainly help explain how the suit ended up in MN.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back