Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand.

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by TazVader, Oct 11, 2017.

1. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

G'day folks,

I'm trying to replicate the explosives used in the film for a display...This picture seems to show something written on the side. Anyone able to help with this as I've come up blank
    blank.

22405755_10155647157228796_4650841246046067093_n.jpg

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

Mike J. likes this.
  2. Grey

Grey Sr Member

This was the best shot I could find in the movie while skipping through it. The flamethrowers in the movie are real 'M2' flamethrowers which were initially developed during WWII, the specific kind used in the movie are Vietnam-era M2A1-7 flamethrowers. If you look at WWII-era dynamite, (the kind used by combat engineers) there are similarities in the markings.

Obviously the dynamite is a prop, so maybe they looked at photos or had access to surplus inert "training" dynamite from the same era as the flamthrowers and made up paper labels to wrap around a tube.

dynamite.png

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Mike J. likes this.
  3. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Thanks legend. You have cemented the UN for me. I have now identified the logo and brand of Dynamite. i just need to figure out the remainder of the text under the UN.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

4. Grey

Grey Sr Member

:thumbsup

5. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Found your logo: https://www.trademarkia.com/logo-72158447.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules_Inc.

After some fruitless Googling, I've learned an appropriate Nobel trade name is "UNIGEL" (1979):

https://www.dynonobel.com/practical-innovations/popular-products/dynamite

Searches for "Unigel" and 'explosive' (or whatever) can show you modern examples.

It's possible someone just cut and pasted some stock prop labels to make the ones seen on screen. Or, Hercules was making Unigel in / for the US under license.

-MJ

Attached Files:

6. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

I know it's a movie, but it is doubtful that they would use World War 2 era dynamite. The stuff crystallizes when it ages and becomes unstable. Sunlight could set it off. Was it image.jpeg this stuff?

Manufacturers change labelling all the time. Logos and lettering change in size and sometimes colour. The additional lettering would be lot numbers, safety information and brisance (shattering power).

TazMan2000

7. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Thanks guys. You've done some great research and it was a fun hunt. It's actually Hercules Inc. Just trying to get the right text in the other areas.:)

Regards
    blood test hercules.jpg
    IMG_0934 (1).JPG

I plan to make some replicas of the sticks and Macready's bundle if there's enough interest as it's going to be used in a spiderhead display of my own.

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

funboy1013xx and Mike J. like this.
  8. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Who wants to mock up a wrap with me? I'm not really mr digital. Lol. I'll make you a free stick or two;)
    Still working on design.

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. funboy1013xx

funboy1013xx Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

friggin AWESOME! :eek

10. Dan Efran

Dan Efran Active Member

I'd totally be into that! I had a lot of fun inventing some faux vintage battery labels a while back; here's the build video: https://youtu.be/8YO-Pj8Flk0

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  11. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

I'd also be happy to help, I'd love to have some dynamite sticks for my display.

12. Dan Efran

Dan Efran Active Member

On further reflection, yes, I'd be happy to help with vintage label design. But no, please don't send me fake dynamite in the mail! :facepalm

I don't need any dynamite props at present, but I can't rule out building some someday. (I've already made several short films featuring bombs of various types!) So I'm interested in the dimensions and logos and stuff that you're uncovering. (Weight, maybe?) I hope you'll share the results of your research.

13. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand.

Awesome guys!!! Mmm....well perhaps just aged stick wraps with the correct details would be a better option for post lol

I've got a Norris spider head on the way to my house so I figured a cool base would be a half open crate of dynamite with a few sticks...sticking out lol

So brown paper ie grocery bag or similar should work for our wraps...just need to work out length and diameter of the tubes then the printing can be positioned correctly I guess lol I'll have a hunt around after work on fri Dan unless someone here is familiar with said material...

Now we have the Hercules and the symbol down... anyone have any better screen caps to confirm the smaller text?

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  14. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

15. funboy1013xx

off the shelf road flares would be a good similar size, :popcorn

16. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

So how's this going?

17. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

I'm about to go on holiday so will start it moving when possible. Got some talent involved;)

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

18. funboy1013xx

man..... that sounds like my boss. "ive got something exciting to show you..... but im heading off for a 2 week hunting trip... " :lol

19. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

As in I'm going to have more time to devote to this as I'm not at work lol

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

funboy1013xx likes this.
  20. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

Have a good holiday Taz, can't wait to see how this turns out. :)

TazVader likes this.
  21. Dan Efran

Dan Efran Active Member

I dug up a few "pictures" of other Hercules sticks - not the same style but still helpful. Note the angled wrap line.
    5e473bfa29f336d354e5abc4f1951d83--hercules-lighthouses.jpg
    s-l1000.jpg

Also, I took the crate image from post #7 above, and removed most of the perspective distortion on the logo, so that it basically matches the proportions of the low resolution logo from post #5:
    straightened-hercules-logo.jpg
    Not perfect, but probably good enough.

Next I'll clean that up and start mocking up a wrapper. Maybe tomorrow.

Does anyone have more screencaps? I don't own the movie. A clip from the blood test scene, on YouTube, reveals that there's quite a bit of blank space on the labels, but I wonder if we can get a better look at the text below and beyond the "UN". If not, I'll guess it's similar to the vintage ones.

funboy1013xx likes this.
  22. Dan Efran

Dan Efran Active Member

Internet consensus suggests these sticks are usually about 8" by 1-1/8" or 1-1/4". Size may vary by strength, though - bigger stick, bigger boom?

Of course the props were props, so might have been non-standard sizes anyway. I haven't tried to scale the ones in the movie from other props/scenery. It might be worth attempting.

Instead, I decided to spend some time today cleaning up my workshop. Wouldn't you know it, one of the first out-of-place items I had to put away was...

tube.JPG

A cardboard tube, just about 1-1/8" diameter. Well okay then! I sawed off 8", as shown. Ready for label tests.

I'm not sure where I even got that tube. Probably gift wrap, my favorite source for narrow cardboard tubes.

23. Dan Efran

Dan Efran Active Member

Dug a bit more and found this screencap.
    ranking-john-carpenter-the-thing-700x300.png
    Notice how you can't see any printing on those sticks at all. So the entire back half is blank and these are all facing away - I guess.

Note the diagonal wrap line.

24. Dan Efran

Dan Efran Active Member

Partly cleaned-up logo. Not perfect, but quite possibly good enough at the size we need.
    partly-cleaned-up-hercules-logo.jpg

25. funboy1013xx

so your gonna have to adjust the "mock up" and print this out at an angle to get the "spiral" wrap of the paper? right?

26. Dan Efran

Dan Efran Active Member

Yeah, I was just coming to that conclusion. It'll have to be printed diagonally.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  27. Dan Efran

Dan Efran Active Member

28. GrenadeKing

GrenadeKing Sr Member

I'm skeptical of that one. It looks nothing like the ones in the film. Wrong wrap, too glossy, and too narrow. Only one picture as well. Seems off.

29. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Some other interesting images;

normal_Hercules-Incorporated-Fire-Department-Patch-v1-New-Jersey-Patches-NJFr.jpg HERCULES.jpg download.jpg $_57.JPG $_57 (1).JPG

funboy1013xx likes this.
  30. Dan Efran

Dan Efran Active Member

I agree. At best, not the same prop we're doing. Maybe they had more than one style on set. I just read that they actually had the actors throwing real dynamite sticks. That's pretty weird.

Very cool finds!

Stay tuned for a rough draft.

31. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Awesome. It does look like the Hercules inc logo in the previous post is spot on apart from the "industries" etc bit. I bet they cobbled together some images lol

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

32. Dan Efran

Dan Efran Active Member

Here's my first draft:
    draft 1 stick test.JPG
    I think the wrap angle is pretty good. The text is purely speculative - I still can't see anything beyond "UN" for sure. But if you squint I think this looks pretty close.
    It shouldn't be hard to fine-tune it from here.

33. Dan Efran

Dan Efran Active Member

Here's a direct comparison of my first draft to the original:
    draft 1 vs screencap.JPG
    Not exact, but getting close.

funboy1013xx likes this.
  34. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ahh Location shooting in the early 80's.

Where they were they got away with a LOT of things! :lol

Sean and funboy1013xx like this.
  35. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

I looks to me like UNIGEL is written twice with text in the middle. Probably the high explosives text.

I like what you done so far mate.
    Least it won't be hard to find black waxed cord for the fuse and electrical tape lol
    Regards
    T
    A
    Z

36. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

What about actual fuse for the fuse? I have a spool of the stuff at home.

37. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Re: Help Identifying Carpenter's "The Thing" Dynamite brand.

Lol real fuse? For your cannon? Lol well it looks like the fuse in the film is black to me. Sounds like a great offer. I think I'll settle for black waxed cord or something to be on the safe side lol

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

38. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

I'm not sure why I bought it, I suppose you could use it on a cannon. :) I've had the stuff for over twenty years now.

39. Dan Efran

Dan Efran Active Member

Okay, I think I'm done:

dyna test 2.JPG

I could tweak it a bit more if necessary, but I'm about out of time to work on this and I'm satisfied with this version.
    I think it looks pretty close. Without better reference from the film, there's really not much more I can do.

Here's the printable wrap; note that it's exactly 11x8.5 inches , so be sure your printer doesn't try to scale it down to fit a smaller printable area. Keep it at 100% scale:

dyna 02.png

Enjoy!

Mike J. and breen2057 like this.
  40. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is soooo great. Wonderfully obscure.

41. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Amazing Dan! Stellar effort and let me say a big "Thanks" to you and everyone else that added time and research to this fun thread.
    Now...what thing...thing is next? Lol

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

42. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

How about the microphone that goes with the tape recorder/player? I've got the tape player, need the mic.

43. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Lol. 3D print maybe? What's it look like?

I was thinking accurate Petri dish and labels with appropriate wire,spool and scalpel with of course fake blood for a nice little display:)

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

44. GrenadeKing

GrenadeKing Sr Member

Taz, where did you find that picture of the real box? I've been looking up "Hercules, Unigel, Dynamite" and any other combinations I can think of and I haven't seen that picture anywhere but here.:confused

I'm thinking there may be more to the text on the sticks but, I can't really find anything conclusive. The quality I have of the film doesn't yield much, just that the 2nd line of text looks longer than the 1st and 3rd.

45. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

It was a personal photo of a guy exploring a mine and unexploded dynamite. Just a weird forum. I've only ever found it on one place. Thats the only pic. So unless we can ask someone who mined in Canada or find a rep from Hercules that might know what the sticks look like we are stuck. I'll see if I can find the forum but not much there mate.

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

46. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Well I quickly did a rough mock with the awesome files done by our fellow "thingist." Really fun but already learned by doing. We should keep hunting this. The box and accurate stick text.

Now...who wants to find accurate Petri dishes and what size are they lol

[​IMG][​IMG]

Just for fun...fuse in the other end;)
    [​IMG]

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

47. GrenadeKing

GrenadeKing Sr Member

Now those look pretty good. I was wondering if I was the only one thinking of doing an "accurate" fuse. Nice job!

There is a perfect shot of the side of the box in the film. I've only got access to a copy in 720p and I can just barely make out the logo, the Hercules text, and Unigel with a trademark symbol. Going from other boxes on the web, it must list the details and, perhaps what to expect on the sticks themselves. I just need a clearer copy, maybe 1080p.

There are a few scenes that, if they were clearer, might show the text on the sticks, and there's one where they have a bundle of dynamite next to one of the thermite grenades from the opening. I just happen to have a vintage smoke grenade that's in the same body so, I can work on some accurate measurements.

48. breen2057

breen2057 Sr Member

put one of these in the Petri dish

The-Thing-Replica-Monster-Blood-Sample-1.jpg

49. Dan Efran

Dan Efran Active Member

Yeah, petri dish with a blood monster jumping out of it gets my vote too.

But is that really what it looked like?

thingcap25.jpg

50. TazVader

TazVader Sr Member

Grenade king. That's some great snooping there. With the new transfer released we may be in for some more luck there when it comes to the dynamite:)

The thermite would be cool to have in a display as well.
    Dan...yeah. Blood monsters cool. But in reality it just looked like a blood vomit not the Rolling Stones creature. I thought that was just a cool take on it. There's a Palmer head version too.

Let's post some more pics folks:)

Regards
    T
    A
    Z

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018