Help identifying a storage / carrying case (Star Trek Discovery)

E Williams

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The "Runaway" short as well as episode 2x04 of Discovery features this small carrying case as a first aid kit (inside are a hypo and dermal regenerator). I'm hoping someone out there can help identify it! :)

15c05f8ae500e42fa6fd93206526282a78afee5a.png

3b6ff0d0f37ef318357156292e106db47e031d71.png

7555f7de99f950bd1fcf68b9a1f641a21ecb794e.png

913ebaaf6bb4af032d2303537ba14dabf8b36ea2.png

It really looks like a found part to me -- there are a lot of cases these days in this general style with similar latches. The larger medkit in the show was made from scratch, though, so that's a possibility (the way the handle is filled in sticks out to me as odd); for something so 21st century and manufactured looking as this I'm still leaning towards found item.

Size-wise it looks about 10-12 inches wide. The two halves look identical - on each half there's a raised lip running around the left perimeter of the inner face, and a matching groove running around the right, such that when the mating faces close the opposing lips and grooves interlock. Because of this I don't think the case was originally waterproof as there's no continuous groove for a gasket and a break in the center to boot.

I looked through the usual suspects (Artbin, Plano, Sterilite, Stanley) and didn't find any matches. I've been paying particular attention to the shape of the latches and their angled cut-out as that might be a giveaway for the brand. Does this ring a bell for anyone out there?

Last edited:
Probably some sort of power tool case.
The outside opening (?) would probably have been for bits or attachments.

First thought would be Black and Decker or Dremel.

A drill bit case crossed my mind as well, though I didn't have much luck looking through those. I'll look again, thanks.

When you say outside opening, I'm not sure what you mean - there have been no shots of it closed where the outer faces are visible. If you mean those last two images on the lower right, that's just a different angle on the half with latches, partially obscured behind a shelf.

Yeah that one and its Artbin 8010AB cousin are the closest I've also found off-the-shelf but the shape is still off for those. The one on the show has a handle that has more of a tapered shape inside and out, and latches of a different shape/position. At the least it would work with different latches as a placeholder til the correct one is found or built. :)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back