Help ID these sculpts Chewbacca & Rancor

grumble garage

I have two castings I picked up on eBay about 8 or so years ago. Wondering if anyone can help with any info on origins or sculptors. Note: I'm not interested in selling either one.

The first is a head of Chewbacca in fiberglass. It is about 1/2 scale and roughly 16 inches tall. If I remember correctly the auction said it was 1/3 and I was surprised how large it was when it arrived. I believe it came from the UK, but I could be wrong. Curious if anyone knows the origin or sculptor. I love it, it is very episode 4 in feeling. I think it was also advertised as a reject casting because there are a lot bubble holes and damage around the eyes. All stuff I can fix.

The second is a Rancor head, no idea on scale. It is made of foam filled latex and measures about 12 inches high and 7 inches deep. I think it came out of California, but again I may be way off.

I personally haven't seen the another Chewbacca show up anywhere else. The Rancor was popping up on eBay for awhile after I got mine, but I haven't seen that one for sometime either.

I just want to know more about these and maybe who made them. See photos.

Hi there,

The Rancorhead looks a lot like the one made by Illusive Concept :

Rancor.jpg

More pics here:

Illusive Concepts Rancor Monster Prop w/box & Certificate | Tucson | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) | 11339987

-Chaim

Hi there,

The Rancorhead looks a lot like the one made by Illusive Concept :

More pics here:

Illusive Concepts Rancor Monster Prop w/box & Certificate | Tucson | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) | 11339987

-Chaim

At first glance, I thought "NO WAY", that Rancor looks awful. Taking a longer look, it appears that it is possible. The head (less the paint job) is actually pretty good. It is way off scale with the body. That threw me off. Mine has a lot of skin texture, which I can't see in the photos of the Illusive concept ones, but it could be there or be buried in the paint. All the proportions seem to fit. The teeth, brows, jaw line, earring all seem to line up. The Illusive concepts says it is about 2 feet tall, and this casting is about 12" which would seem to fit.

Soooo, what I have could be a re-cast, or better if it is a test pull from Illusive concepts. Possibly someone could have been pulling them that had access to Illusive concepts molds. The detail and texture is very sharp on mine and would be tough to get from casting a painted copy.

While there are more questions now, it looks like part of the origin of the Rancor head is solved.

Anyone have ideas on the Chewbacca sculpt? I don't recognize it, but has anyone seen a production piece that this could have been taken from? I believe the auction said it was from and original sculpt. I currently believe that is true, as I have never seen one before or after.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back