Help! How to emboss something on leather book cover?

Sulla

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am branching out with my book binding. I know how to tool leather (though I am not that good at it), but is there a way to take an existing image say, this one:
monroe.gif

...and stamp it into the leather for a book cover and then paint the grooves to match the color picture? Am I making any sense? I am not skilled enough to use small punches and tool out the diagram free-hand. So I was wondering if there was an easier way to maybe make an inexpensive LARGE stamp (say 2.5" diameter) of the image and just hammer the sucker into the leather?

And if I do manage to stamp it in, what paint should I use? I was wanting something that would give me a flat black and a metallic yellow or gold. Would testors or other model paint work? Brushed or air-brushed?

Thanks.

I believe I heard someone made a plaster positive of the design, then pressed it into the leather. I figure you could moisten the leather cover, set the plaster positive on top of it, put some weight on it, and leave it for a while.

-Mike

From Leather Stamps, Anyone make them on the board??:
<div class='quotetop'>(Kaylee @ Mar 25 2006, 03:01 PM) [snapback]1213011[/snapback]</div>
I had one made here.. I just had to send them an .eps (and money of course)

http://infinitystamps.com/

A few weeks later it turned up at my door. Very nicely done, very sharp. I think it was laser cut, I'm not sure. I paid around $200, but the design was pretty intricate. Might be cheaper if you're looking for something simple.
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>(Sulla @ Jun 21 2006, 10:52 AM) [snapback]1265124[/snapback]</div>
And if I do manage to stamp it in, what paint should I use? I was wanting something that would give me a flat black and a metallic yellow or gold. Would testors or other model paint work? Brushed or air-brushed?
[/b]

Tandy Leather sells paints specifically for this kind of thing.

<div class='quotetop'>(Darkknight0667 @ Jun 21 2006, 11:37 AM) [snapback]1265147[/snapback]</div>
Tandy Leather sells paints specifically for this kind of thing.
[/b]

Wow, thanks everyone. I've got a lot to think about.

I wonder how cheesy it would look if I were to just make a stick-on template of the symbol and just use the Tandy paint to paint it on the surface rather than stamping it in and painting it... I'll have to try it out on some scrap leather maybe.

<div class='quotetop'>(Kyle Katarn The Rebel Agent @ Jun 22 2006, 12:24 PM) [snapback]1265910[/snapback]</div>
Sulla,
If you want to draw over the leather I recommend a tool called "pirograbador". I used it to draw lines. You can do whatever you want with it.

http://www.theforce.com.ar/Scripts/WebForm...on=2&lNewsId=15

You can use it like a pencil.
[/b]

Wow, thanks for the tip. Is it just some kind of heated tool with a leather etching tip?

I wonder if I could take my universal soldering iron or my wood etcher and use a special tip for leather?

More research is needed... Thanks again.

Sulla,
Yes is it. Works with heat, and have some different tools to do lines or whatever you want to draw. Circles, V traces, etc. You are welcome. The problem with the soldier is that heat can not be reguled. The pyrograbber has a heat regulator. Best regards.

Some higher end soldering irons can be regulated. Specifically, those in doing stained glass. Either the tip is changed or a regulator is used inline to vontrol the voltage, and therefore the temperature at the tip.

Dear Darkknight0667,
You are right, but Sulla was talking about an universal soldering iron. They dont have voltage regulator ( in Argentina as far I know :) ). I am quite sure Sulla will be able to get one on Tandy Leather website.
I bought my pyrograbber for about US 20 in Argentina. Best regards.

"Dear"?.?.

No need to be quite so formal, Kyle. DK will do just fine. ;)

Just pointing out another option, in case he had one of the higher end irons, or knew someone that did.

BTW, welcome aboard.

<div class='quotetop'>(Darkknight0667 @ Jun 22 2006, 07:57 PM) [snapback]1266258[/snapback]</div>
"Dear"?.?.

No need to be quite so formal, Kyle. DK will do just fine. ;)

Just pointing out another option, in case he had one of the higher end irons, or knew someone that did.

BTW, welcome aboard.
[/b]
Thanks again all. My soldering iron indeed has no volt or heat regulator. My wood burner does and I will experiment with it. I am headed to Landwerelyn's (A local leather store) here soon, and will enquire with them about a pyrowatsis and will very likely get some paint and scrap leather to practice with.

I really appreciate all the helpful advice you have all offered up. :p

I've burned designs into leather using both a soldering iron and a woodburning tool. The fancy leather tool probably has some improvements, but the others worked fine for me.

If you have a cheapy soldering iron that you don't mind messing with, you can easily make it a variable voltage soldering iron. All you need is a simple potentiometer in the line. And the simplest potentiomet is a stupid light dimmer switch that you can pick up for a few bucks. Snip the power cord, splice in the potentiometer and voila, instant variable voltage soldering iron.

-Fred

Hey, what about doing a sculpt of the symbol, then have a fibreglass yopy made of this (hey, this is the prop forum, isn´t it ?), and then use the embossing with a weight in wet leather technique ?

Or carve it out of wood as a negative ?

Michael

I forgot it. My leather provider sells metal stamps. You heat it and stamp any leather or wood. He customize the stamp with your logo or isologo. That will do the job. I am pretty sure u will find that in your country. Best regards.

<div class='quotetop'>(Gigatron @ Jun 23 2006, 11:12 AM) [snapback]1266647[/snapback]</div>
If you have a cheapy soldering iron that you don't mind messing with, you can easily make it a variable voltage soldering iron. All you need is a simple potentiometer in the line. And the simplest potentiomet is a stupid light dimmer switch that you can pick up for a few bucks. Snip the power cord, splice in the potentiometer and voila, instant variable voltage soldering iron.

-Fred
[/b]
I have a front dial speed regulator for a VERY old Dremmel that has a plug-in-the-wall power cord. I have often wondered if I could plug my power drill into it to operate a jewelers saw for cutting butted chain maille rings. Now I sit here contemplating plugging into it a soldering iron/wood burner. I've never had the nerve to try it though.

No reason it shouldn't. It's not so much a speed regualtor as it is a voltage regulator. Lower voltage equals slower speeds (or in your case, lower temps).

Give it a whirl. Or if your questioning the regulator you have, just go out and pick up a cheapo dimmer switch. Simple solutions for a simpler tomorrow (it sounds like a commercial from a bad robocop movie).

-Fred

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back