Help fixing my new portal gun replica.

XOIIO

Hello everyone, first time poster here, after hearing the rpf forums on tested podcasts so often I figured that this would be a good place to ask for help.

I just got the NECA portal gun replica (had to pay a bit more to an ebay seller so it would ship to canada) and eagerly waited 14 days, however when it got here there is one thing that is bugging me big time and took the wind out of my sails.

The middle arm is bend to one side. It's no actual visible bend in the plastic, it's just crooked for some reason, and I can't figure out why. I need to fiddle with it more but I am hoping some of you can offer some advice as to how I would fix it. As far as I know this ebay seller only had two (and both are gone) and I wouldn't want to wait another month to have to ship it back and have them ship another.

Here are some pictures, I'm hoping some of you can help. I was thinking maybe hot water would work to bend it? It's made out of multiple parts that seem to be glued together though, so I don't know. The whole arm seems to be off kilter, and I don't know how I would fix it.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG

It definitely seems to be the first arm section (the one with the LED) that is the cause, however I'm not really sure why. It all seems fine, the very base of the arm is lined up straight with the rest of the gun, so I see no reason why it should be off center but it just... is. I'm toying with the idea of using an xacto knife to try and seperate the base of the arm and the rest of it, rotating it, and then gluing it with super glue so it lines up but I first have to test a drop of super glue on that plastic to be sure it doesn't just eat through and ruin it, plus i don't want to damage the gun, and I don't know how the arm piece fits in. I think it has pegs and not just a post but I don't know if it is different from the side ones in that way.

Past experience with cheap plastic, it warps.

So it could be properly cut, properly installed and still be 'off', because the plastic is warped.

So check for straightness with a hard edge (ruler).

Past experience with cheap plastic, it warps.

So it could be properly cut, properly installed and still be 'off', because the plastic is warped.

So check for straightness with a hard edge (ruler).

Best I have is some calibers, it was a bit hard to get the edge in there, but it seems fine. From what I can tell it just needs a very minor "twist" to adjust it, only a few degrees and it would be perfect. I'm not sure if putting it in hot water (not sure how hot it would need to be) and bending it, and holding it for a bit, would allow me to tweak it ever so slightly.

Usually a hair dryer set on high is enough. I'v done it in the past with a cheap $10 hair dryer.

Hot air gun is much too hot, don't microwave the part, don't boil it and don't put it in the oven. All of those are much too destructive and risky (people have ruined parts in the past like that).

Awesome! It took two "sessions" of heating for a bit, twisting with a bit of force and holding it, but the hair dryer worked, and it lines up perfectly now! Glad I didn't need to do the hot water crap, thanks guys!

6f81w4.jpg

ir5h61.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back