Help Find! Original Treasure Planet Map Design

Holy ****, why didnt i see this earlyer when I was designing my verson of the map. But I made mine out of 17 parts, in bronze. With buttens and it can turn on an axis.

Damn, looks like you guys beat me massively to my project of trying to make a somewhat functional/ moving version of the map.

I've had a crappy thingiverse model printed out in a couple parts for well over a year, not sure exactly when, but I had printed it in clear petg to allow for lighting to come through. Unfortunately petg is a royal pain, and I lost motivation on the paint job when I saw how many print artefacts came through.

I wasn't even thinking of being able to make the whole thing move and spin, that would be amazing, but I wanted a couple interactive parts to enable some lighting.

I just found austins model, fired off an email since there was no download link, and then found this thread after. I was hoping he'd share his model in the hopes that it would be in separate chunks since I now have a resin printer and have also kind of wanted to try casting.

Guess he disabled the download for some reason, still hoping I can get it, but man, bummed that I got beaten so thoroughly due to various reasons why I put this project on a back shelf. I doubt I'd ever be able to figure out the rotation mechanism inside to make it all moveable. Back when I starting thinking this over there were basically no actual props made :/

Holy ****, why didnt i see this earlyer when I was designing my verson of the map. But I made mine out of 17 parts, in bronze. With buttens and it can turn on an axis.
Dang yours looks sick! and the box you did is amazing! love the hand, nice work!

View attachment 1452087View attachment 1452090View attachment 1452089View attachment 1452088View attachment 1452085View attachment 1452091

Posting a bit of an update I've been working on the mechanical pen parts for the majority of the time but I think I've finally got a system that will work reliably for this! I also was able to reduce part count by including a section of the mech in the core of the map itself. I then spent probably a good week or two getting a bump map figured out for the surface texture, I think I still need a few tweaks for the finer detail but overall I'm really happy with how it's turning out! I am getting a more ABS-Like Resin on monday so that should help prevent scratching ect. and I think for a finish I'll likely be using a metallic powder and rubbing over the surface and then doing a matte clear coat. I think I'd like to do a run of these but with over 100 parts and finishing time required I'm still unsure of the cost. I also would like to test this on an FDM machine but don't it would likely need to be done on a 0.1 mm extrusion to minimize the friction on the mechanics. Oh I did also get spring and screw hardware in and that'd been working great! I even made room for springs being the screws so that there is a little bit of play like there is on a rubix cube! Hope to finish a completed version by end of may but we'll see! :)
This is absolutely AMAZING!!!! So thankful I've found this thread. Would you be open to sharing the 3D model?

This is absolutely AMAZING!!!! So thankful I've found this thread. Would you be open to sharing the 3D model?
Hey thanks! I'm not quite done with the modeling, I'm just about to do the first test fit with all 96 pieces and hardware so once that's done I've got a few adjustments to make. I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to release them but I think I'd like to do a run of commissions if people are interested and maybe list the files as pay what you want after. I know it's been a long time coming so I do apologies for anyone who's waiting. <3

Hey thanks! I'm not quite done with the modeling, I'm just about to do the first test fit with all 96 pieces and hardware so once that's done I've got a few adjustments to make. I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to release them but I think I'd like to do a run of commissions if people are interested and maybe list the files as pay what you want after. I know it's been a long time coming so I do apologies for anyone who's waiting. <3
Wow that's great ! Nostalgia hitting hard :oops:
How is the project going ?

This is the final print I made from AustinHicks' design and ready to send to him. It is hollow, and will have a plug to put in the bottom about an inch in diameter. This allows it to be printed hollow, but also allows him to put in electronics if he wants.

Attachments

• IMG_2165[1].JPG
    IMG_2165[1].JPG
    2 MB · Views: 180
  • IMG_2166[1].JPG
    IMG_2166[1].JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 180
Dang this is awesome. I started plans for making a (possibly) fully functional map last year. I'm still a rookie at CAD so I wasn't able to get very far.

map1.jpg

Figuring out a mechanism to expand the panels, contract the buttons, and allow the skin to rotate freely. I bought a 3x3x2 Rubik's cube and tried to reverse engineer the inner mechanism.

map2.jpg

Figuring out each unique panel.

map3.jpg

As far as I could get with CAD

Heyo, Bit of an update, Moved and took a bit of a break after the first test assembly, but forgot to share the results. I got all the pieces printed and I'm really happy with how they turned out. In total there are 96 printed parts and 23 springs. Took ~24 hours to print everything not including cleaning time. Assembly was a bit of a hill to climb it took about 6 hours of gently screwing things in and a lot of tight clearances. It does rotate and most of the pen mechanisms can function but the rest had resin in the screw wells so they couldn't sit down far enough. I was able to do a full rotation on the top portion before adding the screws but it was a tough go about, so I didn't dare try the others. The clearance on the rotated pieces are currently too tight and there is also a Z-Height issue preventing the "rails" from coming out consistently. Also I'm fairly certain there are a few rotations that will allow pieces to just fall out. So long story short there are some issues that I believe can be solved but may be difficult.

Wall clearance -adjustment in Fusion
Z-Height accuracy - ???
Resin pools - Better Cleaning possibly a ultrasonic cleaner?
Also could uses some better springs currently they are modified pen springs. :p

I don't know when these will be fixed exactly but I'll post here when they are. Also currently plan is to do a run of these eventually and release the files after.

Attachments

• IMG_20210721_181932_01.jpg
    IMG_20210721_181932_01.jpg
    773.4 KB · Views: 248
  • PXL_20210722_174919490.jpg
    PXL_20210722_174919490.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 237
  • PXL_20210722_174923963.jpg
    PXL_20210722_174923963.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 220
  • PXL_20210722_174932172.jpg
    PXL_20210722_174932172.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 217
  • PXL_20210723_044415439.jpg
    PXL_20210723_044415439.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 274
  • PXL_20210723_044417379.mp4
    36.1 MB
Heyo, Bit of an update, Moved and took a bit of a break after the first test assembly, but forgot to share the results. I got all the pieces printed and I'm really happy with how they turned out. In total there are 96 printed parts and 23 springs. Took ~24 hours to print everything not including cleaning time. Assembly was a bit of a hill to climb it took about 6 hours of gently screwing things in and a lot of tight clearances. It does rotate and most of the pen mechanisms can function but the rest had resin in the screw wells so they couldn't sit down far enough. I was able to do a full rotation on the top portion before adding the screws but it was a tough go about, so I didn't dare try the others. The clearance on the rotated pieces are currently too tight and there is also a Z-Height issue preventing the "rails" from coming out consistently. Also I'm fairly certain there are a few rotations that will allow pieces to just fall out. So long story short there are some issues that I believe can be solved but may be difficult.

Wall clearance -adjustment in Fusion
Z-Height accuracy - ???
Resin pools - Better Cleaning possibly a ultrasonic cleaner?
Also could uses some better springs currently they are modified pen springs. :p

I don't know when these will be fixed exactly but I'll post here when they are. Also currently plan is to do a run of these eventually and release the files after.
I made an account just to say that this looks incredible. Treasure Planet is my favorite Disney movie, so I would absolutely be willing to buy one of the run you plan on doing. I hope you get the kinks worked out.

hi guys , your work looks awesome, im a webdeveloper and want to make a 3d tresure planet, but i need a texture for my 3d sphere, do you have one ?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back