Help Find! Original Treasure Planet Map Design

SMCR

I want to build a high quality, highly accurate, Treasure Planet map/orb for a desk display. (Still in the design phase at the moment.)

There are plenty of Etsy-esque replicas already out there, but none of them are truly screen accurate.

After capturing more than 100 screenshots throughout the movie, cropping out the map, then reviewing the compilation, I have discovered that there are 2 completely different models used in the movie:
The first version is the main model/design used throughout the movie, as seen in a close up on the desk in Dr. Doppler's home before Jim picks it up.
TPMR11.png

The second version appears immediately after this, when Jim is unlocking the map for the first time. Which I believe is the only time that model is used.
TPMR17.png

I will be using the first, more prominent, design as the reference for my project.

What I want to do differently with my project, which I have not seen done previously, is etch in all those little hieroglyphs:
Heiroglyphics Sample.png

They are subtle and easily overlooked, but are a truly beautiful detail that cannot be missing from the final product.

I understand that when building movie props, you don't always need a complete model all around. It saves time and money to only add detail on the parts of the prop that will actually be shown on the screen. And I fear that this is the case with this map, based on how the hieroglyphs cut off on the right side of the ball:
Heiroglyphics Sample 2.png

But in my heart of hearts, I am hoping that there is either a completed model that one of the makers from the movie has, of which there are reference photos to, or that the hieroglyphs are an overlay from a preexisting template that is out there somewhere!

If push comes to shove, I will just make repeatable patterns/stencils from the symbols that can be seen. But with how many hours I see my future self putting into this project, I at least needed to put in a solid effort to confirm whether there exists an original model, design, or concept art that depicts the rest of the map that leads to the treasure of a thousand worlds.

If you have any leads or are able to track down the required reference material I will be eternally grateful!

-SMCR

I've been trying to model the map in 3D, and unfortunately while every angle of the first map(/hero prop) is shown in the movie, the surface symbols cannot be made out on around 20% of the maps surface.

Here's a screenshot of what I've been able to map it out so far, and a work in progress 3D render:
1590928021633.png
1590928512812.png
1590929712766.png

The parts highlighted in blue are the parts that I've been unable to get a good enough look at in the movie to accurately map out as of yet.
So I too would love to get a good look at the original map files.

But from what I can gather there's a distinct band of densely packed symbols around the equator of the map, and the symbols become larger and more spread out the further from there they are.

I've been trying to model the map in 3D, and unfortunately while every angle of the first map(/hero prop) is shown in the movie, the surface symbols cannot be made out on around 20% of the maps surface.

Here's a screenshot of what I've been able to map it out so far, and a work in progress 3D render:
View attachment 1304649 View attachment 1304650 View attachment 1304651
The parts highlighted in blue are the parts that I've been unable to get a good enough look at in the movie to accurately map out as of yet.
So I too would love to get a good look at the original map files.

But from what I can gather there's a distinct band of densely packed symbols around the equator of the map, and the symbols become larger and more spread out the further from there they are.

Awesome work even getting that far!!!! :love:

WOW ! Dedication and hard work. I love the link to the 3D viewing. It's gorgeous.

What size would this be in the real world ?

Ideally the same size as the object in the movie.
About the size of a coconut.
I'd love to get it 3d printed. But the cost would be more than I can budget. Especially down in Australia. I'd be better off getting a 3d printer of my own. (Not that I haven't considered that as an option.)

I ordered a larger RESIN 3D printer. Rather than print in smaller pieces, with the new printer, I can 3D print the ENTIRE sphere in one piece, in resin. Looking to do this possibly SUNDAY, but sometimes I schedule these things, and it doesn't work out. :(

I ordered a larger RESIN 3D printer. Rather than print in smaller pieces, with the new printer, I can 3D print the ENTIRE sphere in one piece, in resin. Looking to do this possibly SUNDAY, but sometimes I schedule these things, and it doesn't work out. :(
Which one did you get / what's the build volume?

I picked up Austin's model and am working on an internal structure for the map. Going to continue working on breaking it up so I can print in sections and combine later. I'll be printing it in castable wax so I can cast the pieces in Bronze for a metal version. Fun thing is I get to learn how to set up one of the circle sections to be a spring loaded switch that will light up some LEDs on the inside. Still need to settle on an attachment method for the outer shell pieces to allow the light to emanate from the underneath creases.

Frames.JPG

I've been staring at the renders in this thread for months now, but in just the last few weeks I started trying to map out the mechanics of how the map functions. (This is also my first time posting on the rpf and using fusion 360)

In the activation scene you can see Jim poke at the circles and eventually they collapse. Ideally we'd be able to have a touch switch on each of the 23 buttons and once you press them all in the correct order they trigger 23 electric solenoids to pull in each of the buttons. However with the limited space (and budget) I figured a more mechanical means was needed. This is also overkill but I hope to share my trials and tribulations whether or not I succeed lol.
1612002317301.png
1612002288371.png

So with the top being where the circular button would be screwed on and the bottom being towards the center of the sphere.
I sketched this assembly separately so that they could be printed and assembled easily rather than trying to print it all as one piece.

The center shaft shown at the top goes through the whole assembly and has 3 trapezoidal hooks shown in yellow.
Those hooks drive a springloaded piece in the middle colored in orange that keeps the buttons flush while also allowing them to be pressed inward.

You might be able to make out in the middle of the right hand photo two downwards spikes, these allow the central spingloaded piece to sit at a lower level without popping back up, meaning you would need to repress down to unlatch the button.

This system is pretty much verbatim what's inside a retractable pen however with the added complexity of needing rigidity in both directions. you may notice on some pens the top of the pen can fall back and forth once clicked in. For this to work as a rubix cube these pieces couldn't be getting loose when turned upside down.

1612003043948.png

I've started work on the rest of the assembly making an assumption on the size being about 130mm (~5in) I have just been using Austin's model as reference since I figured Fusion360 probably doesn't work well with prebuilt stl files. However I pretty much just need to map out the 2x3 internals within the ~7mm clearance left in the outer sphere. I do believe having gotten this far it may be possible to fit the required solenoids with some slight tweaks but I'm not entirely certain just yet.

I plan on 3D printing these parts eventually probably with an SLA printer from a friend but if anyone has printer recommendations or ideas for electronics do let me know!

(Also if this needs to be moved to a new post let me know)

Got the rubix portions figured out now I just need to get a 3d printer... it's 119 parts + 4 screws and just over a liter of volume to print. The lines were definitely the most tedious part so far. Still not entirely sure on what clearances to use between surfaces but thinking 0.2mm should probably be enough play without it falling apart?

unknown (1).png
unknown.png

Last edited:
Every time this thread updates is like Christmas :D

jumpercabelz and Shonuff , those builds look to be incredible. I'm awe struck at seeing these amazing projects emerging from the string of late nights I spent mapping out the maps surface.

I'm probably late to this but if you have the DVD when the before the menu shows up it shows the 3d model of the map moving and it has all the little details.
josh1917 I looked into that version. It appears to functionally similar to the mechanical prop only seen in the movie the two/three shot where Jim unlocks the map. Since it is divided into the same (almost) 18 segments that the mechanical prop is.

Which is distinctly different to what I've been calling the hero prop, which is split into 4 large side sections, with two caps sections that themselves are comprised of four smaller sections.
Which is the one I chose to model. Since it has the most screen time, and can by going frame by frame through the film you can catch every angle of it.

Here's a quick and jokey visual guide I threw together of the 3 distinct versions of the map in the film:
1612612733336.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back