Help: Ep. I/II Obi-Wan lightsaber - Accurate Dimensions?

Chris92

I did a precursory search of the forums for everything with Obi-Wan in the title, but I couldn't find this information (in the title). Would anyone happen to know what the accurate dimensions (primarily the length and diameter). I've also included a picture to try and help eliminate confusion about which saber I'm talking about. Thanks in advance!

1641233583005.png

There have been many threads discussing the dimensions, a long time ago. I suppose they must have been culled for inactivity.
AnakIn Starkiller have made replicas of the TPM and/or AOTC lightsaber not too many years ago after he got hold of a genuine resin cast. His might be the most recent threads about the saber.

When Master Replicas had a license, they sold both replicas and a fancy framed blueprint for the lightsaber, with dimensions. You can find photos of that blueprint on the web here and there.
It is believed that MR had based their replicas off a resin stunt cast of the lightsaber, and because resin shrinks, it is believed to be slightly shorter than the original hero prop of metal. It also lacked holes in the pommel cubes (which were actually trapezoids), and because MR had labelled theirs "Attack of the Clones", from that point forward replicas without such holes are usually called "AOTC Obi-Wan sabers".

There was also a blueprint from the author The Dark Side floating around, among other blueprints he/she did. I don't know what it was based on.

I made my own replica from aluminium pipes. I used 1.5" diameter for the emitter shroud with the "choke hold" below it and the black grip being 1.25". The rest of the dimensions had been scaled from an image of the TPM hero saber straight on from the side. Except for where I intentionally tweaked the blueprint to fit my tube stock, It turned out very close to a MR "AOTC" in dimensions, only a couple mm taller overall.

The greeblies:
- Emitter: Could have been a plate or bezel ring from a door lock, or custom-machined. In any case, door lock parts with perfect dimensions have been found and used for fan-made replicas.
- Brass knob: A bicycle valve adapter, filed down. There are several brands and not all are perfect though. A bluish purple jewel of some sorts was put inside. I used a half-dome amethyst from a DIY jewelery store, even if it is not blue enough. There are also plastic half-domes available for scrapbooking that you could use, or you could put a 3mm LED in there.
- Red knob: Rare thumbscrew. Replicas were being made and quite widely available back in the day. Roman Props had the best one, I think. Other replicas could still be available.
- Three 5mm clear LEDs and chromed LED bezels. The LEDs were filed down to be flush with the bezel.
- Covertec belt clip knob. The originals were plastic with a steel washer inside. Replicas have been made of anodised aluminium.
- Rubber O-ring where the emitter shroud meets the "choke hold". (at least, that is what some replicas used)

There is probably more that I once knew, but have forgotten ...

Last edited:
I surprisingly have no pictures of the belt hanger, I need to change that!

I THINK this was cast off the belt hanger, minus a few parts. The other stunts do not have this level of detail or disassembly. (click for larger)376163_0.jpeg376165_0.jpeg376166_0.jpeg376172_0.jpeg376174_0.jpeg

This lightsaber has been an obsession of mine since I first saw it in 1999. I have been working on my own Solidworks model of this prop on and off for the last 2-3 years based solely on scaling reference images. I have approximately 100 reference images of original hero prop and the various resin stunts that were made for production. I am hesitant to openly post them as some of them were provided to me in confidence. That being said, most of what I have can be found by searching around on the forums and google.

I typically scale based on the LEDs being .197" (5.00mm) in diameter, and the red button (blanking cap) being 0.564" (14.3mm) in diameter. From this, I get that the main emitter section is 1.458 +/- .010", the emitter neck is 1.253 +/- .010", the main grip section is 1.295" +/- .010". I need to do a lot more scaling work on the various resin parts (the black parts), so I will refrain from sharing any dimensions there.

Here is my work-in-progress model:

Capture.PNG

Here are some good references of the Hero Prop:
IMG_2619 1.PNG

Here is one of the resin stunts against a ruler:
376210_0.jpg

I love this saber. The OT sabers are nostalgic for me, but these look way more impressive. Blasphemy, I know, but the OT ones are obviously cobbled together with miscellaneous found object. These all look more designed... because they were. They were also more consistent from prop to prop which helps the illusion. There are a couple obvious reasons... they had more money and they knew how close we would look!!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back