help, do you have a shure 55 microphone? sizes needed

zorg

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
hello people.

trying to establish some sizes for 2-1b medical droid microphone.

on the droid right now there appears to be a 55SW mic with the HML lettering near the bottom hole.

everyman and his dog have been buying 55SH. (including me)

personally i believe this is a replacement and we don't see HML on the screen, there is a noticeable repair on the droid now
i think it probably took a dive face first.............

I take my molds from a head casting, the original sculpt is long gone.

i fully understand there can be shrinkage from original to cast,

so the purpose of this thread is to establish if there is a size difference between the 55SW AND 55SH

the cast from where i take my molds used a 55SH and it comes out at 52.4mm wide (resin)

i just measured a 55SW (real metal) and it's coming out at 56.4mm wide

4mm of difference, which i feel is too much for shrinkage alone.

so if i take a mold of my resin mic, the next gen casting will be even smaller.

if you have a 55SH could you measure the width please (side to side)?

thanks

z

Last edited:
Chris I sent you the first one. I have another, would you like it? I'm gonna buy one of your updated 2-1B heads.

*Also when I get back to my shop later today I'll check on the measurement for you.

Chris I sent you the first one. I have another, would you like it? I'm gonna buy one of your updated 2-1B heads.

*Also when I get back to my shop later today I'll check on the measurement for you.
Thanks,

I went and sold an 55SH last year.
As I got hold of an HML one. Just trying to confirm sizes before I go too far with the updated sculpt. I just assumed they were the same apart from the lettering stamped on the bottom.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
Chris I’d contact Shure directly. I remember someone saying they had contacted Shure and that the mic housings were all the same from the 55 line.
That was me :)
I contacted Shure (in that little “may I help you“ window chat bubble thing) to ask if there were differences in size between mode years. I was having a hard time finding vintage ones. I was wondering, cause the first one I got, the seller said it was vintage, but it was clearly brand spanking new when I got it. I wasn’t expecting a reply... but they did. The guy said he’d investigate & get back to me, as my question made him curious. A day or two later I found a broken vintage one (early ‘60’s) for cheap. & then I got an email about a week later from Shure.
He said, even though the workings on the inside were changed & updated over the years, the outside “cage” dimensions didn’t change from (the exact years I don’t remember) early ‘50’s? to early 2000’s. The newer ones are slightly bigger all around.
I‘d measure both of mine (vintage & new), but as I’m moving I don’t know what box my calipers are in :confused:.

My most recent build I found a Shure replacement cage that worked great. I had to drill the hole for the PL-259 connector after cutting off the mic mount and shaping the bottom. just the the vintage ones, after shaping you have to sand off all the plating and get it down to the bare metal so it all looks uniform

OK thanks everyone, looks like I will be cutting off the resin mic....

I have rear halves of a 55SH and 55SW which I could have taken measurements but like every thing else I have I can find right now (as usual)

My HML mic has some bubbling in the plating so maybe that is why my measurement is the largest so far. I bought it because it had a nice aged patina to put on my "final" personal droid.

I do believe however the front of the nose top on the SH has a slightly different side profile than the 55SW. there seems to be a kinda corner in it whereas the 55SW is more bulbous.

Chad the real droid mic has a pretty obvious mark where the plating has been ground away. So I have never been concerned about that.

If I can find the rear half of the mic I may try and embed that into the sculpt. So.... If you attach a real mic to it, it will (fingers crossed) fit onto this, maybe even using the same screw holes. It might not be possible with that nose part in the way.

Cheers

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back