Help Casting Raimi Spider-Man Urethane Webbing

LyMovieDude1

Hi! I am working on putting together a Raimi style Spider-Man mask for display purposes.

My mask has been printed and sewn using KenLandrum's pattern which I modified. I want to try and cast the webs from urethane by 3D printing Ken's webbing files and making a mold from them which could then be filled with the liquid urethane...

Here's a pic of the 3D webbing for the front part of the mask.

Untitled-1.jpg

I was wondering what would be the best material for making the mold? My plan is to place the 3D printed webbing piece on a smooth piece of wooden board or similar, glue some foam board walls around it and then pour the mold material directly over the webs and let it cure. I understand that the mold does not need to be flexible since the urethane is. Would silicone still work or should I use a solid material for the mold? I was looking into plaster but figured it might not create a smooth mold. This is my first time molding and casting anything so I am not very experienced.

Appreciate any help I can get with this. Thank you!

//B

I would recommend doing a silicone dump mould that would definitely work for urethane webs as long as you make it thick enough so it won't warp when you pour the urethane

Gus

I would recommend doing a silicone dump mould that would definitely work for urethane webs as long as you make it thick enough so it won't warp when you pour the urethane

Gus

It just seems somewhat unnecessary to use a flexible mold material like silicone when the urethane itself is flexible.

yup plaster works for Urethane for sure as well.As I work with latex and i use a plaster mould as well

Thanks for the information. Does the plaster mold create a smooth surface for casting? I have been thinking about casting the webs in latex as well since that's how they were done for the movies. Again thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

It just seems somewhat unnecessary to use a flexible mold material like silicone when the urethane itself is flexible.

Thanks for the information. Does the plaster mold create a smooth surface for casting? I have been thinking about casting the webs in latex as well since that's how they were done for the movies. Again thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.
Very true, I was thinking that it would pick up the texture of the webs alot better than plaster (didn't think about the webs not having any texture lol) but you would probably get cleaner castings from a silicone mould but plaster should do the job, post some pics when youve figured it out tho fingers crossed for you man[emoji4]

Gus

Hey I am kinda confuse with the liquid urethane. Is this a kinda paint? like a plastic paint?
Could anyone recommend me any brand please?

Urethane rubber. It's a two-part compound. You mix two liquids/gels together, pour them into the mold, and it cures into a solid, stretchy rubber.

i don't know if this might be a solution but if you have 3d printed the positive, could you glue it down to a flat surface and vacuum form a mould from it? the vac mould would be rigid enough to use to pour the flexible casting material into, just like a chocolate bar?
would need to drill holes in to get a better pull in-between the web strands i would say.

Last edited:
all I have is a 3d Printer. My thought would be to print the webbing and then make a plaster mold for example to pour urethane into. Would this be possible

What type of urethane do you use to make the webs? I'm currently working on resin 3d printing my own positives in peices. Sanding the seams smooth. Then making a plaster mold from that positive.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back