HELP!! Blue painter's tape disaster!!

JBradley

So I'm doing a paint job and everything is going swimmingly until I peel the tape off to discover the glue on the tape stayed on the wood of my project! Now it's like there's snot all over and it's near impossible to get off! Any ideas?

Try using more tape to lift it off, usually works for me. You'll be lifting it off immediately so there shouldn't be more residue sticking.

let the paint dry thouroughly then use a wet towel and wash the glue off. but makesure the paint is dry, even if you wait a day. i am a painter by trade so i may know what i am typing

I was just going to suggest that!
It's a very mild paint remover but doesn't work very well on paint because it's so mild. However, it's perfect for taking off adhesive from painted surfaces, just make sue the paint has fully cured for a day or two.

And forget that stupid blue tape. Whoever invented it should be permabanned. Get thee some green 3M tape from the auto parts store. You can leave it on for years and no residue.

-Rog

Also whatever tape you use, make sure it's a quality name brand and not dollar store type stuff. Not all tapes are created equal.

Good tape saves lives!! A good trick is to press it to your shirt before applying it, it will pick up some of the lint and not be so sticky.

I really love the legit 3m Blue tape for holding down wood and acrylic in my lasersaur, it cuts clean and peels off without leaving residue. HOWEVER I only leave it on for a few minutes at most on raw wood. When I use it to mask paint it's usually on top of primer and it leaves no mess.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back