Help - advice needed on airbrushes

claymore61

Ok you airbrush guru's
Having worked myself into a corner ( see my Davy Jones posts ), I think I need to invest in an airbrush.

Ive looked at the one in the picture, which is advertised on EBay for about £70 ($110) or so, but I'm not sure.

any advice greatly received.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 112
Hi.
Go for a decent dual action airbrush like A badger 150.
these are great airbrush's and can be found on Ebay for reasonable money.
These are mainly for Fine detail airbrushing.

if you want a decent Set, also get yourself A Paasche Single action airbrush.
this will be a workhorse for years and you can get amazing results with this baby.!! :D

I use a large 50 liter tank compressor, but any small hobby compressor will be fine.
stay away from china or Taiwan knock offs as you pay for what you get..

The next step would be to choice your airbrush paint, I use Auto Air Colors.
These are Great paints to use, As you can use urethane clear coat over them.
there also water based paints, so they are easy to clean up and safer to use indoors.

I would suggest you use a larger spray gun for urethane clear coating as it will clog up your airbrush fast.
I use A Decent touch-up gun for the clear coat as you get A better Finish.

clear coat out of a can is OK! but to get A strong finish you can't beat 2k urethane Clear coat.

if you need any other advice let us know.:thumbsup

Thanks

Thanks Kinglee (again)
I'm looking to use it for latex or silicon painting too.
I have a compressor which I use for my nail gun and stapler etc, but it can be noisy indoors, so I was going to purchase a small compressor with a small tank which can be stored in a cupboard under the work top or something.
I don't envisage massive usage, but I like to get the best I can.

Thanks Kinglee (again)
I'm looking to use it for latex or silicon painting too.
I have a compressor which I use for my nail gun and stapler etc, but it can be noisy indoors, so I was going to purchase a small compressor with a small tank which can be stored in a cupboard under the work top or something.
I don't envisage massive usage, but I like to get the best I can.

you can Run a long hose from your compressor through a window/door and keep it outside or in a garage/shed.
The airbrush's are perfect for latex & silicone.

if you use gel-10 when casting your mask, you can thin a small amount of gel-10 down to airbrush the mask.
you can tint the silicone with silicone pigments or auto air colors.
you can use normal talk/powder to remove the Silicone sheen if your on a budget
or you can buy the special matting agent.

There are many ways to airbrush silicone but this works well for me if I'm using Gel-10 Silicone.

you can use cabosil to Matt the silicone, but i find the above method works very well and all the materials are safe.

I have a wee kit and it isn't the best. I am looking at investing in the paasche (or the likes). I agree with Kinglee, if you have a compressor already, surely it would be cheaper to run long hoses and just keep the beast outside and run the hoses indoors if you are worried about noise. Good luck

I don't have a lot of experience with compressors, but I have heard that cheaper air brush compressors can be quite noisy, not to mention that they run non-stop. (Then again, that might not be so bad, mine scares the crap out of me almost every time it kicks back on.)

I don't have a lot of experience with compressors, but I have heard that cheaper air brush compressors can be quite noisy, not to mention that they run non-stop. (Then again, that might not be so bad, mine scares the crap out of me almost every time it kicks back on.)

:D:D airbrushing with shaky hands lol - not a good idea.

maybe lean towards using my own compressor with some adaptor fittings.
i suppose if its only an airbrush, it shouldnt switch on too often as it has a reasonably sized tank on it.

that'll let me get a better airbrush

I just bought a harbor freight air compressor with a regulator, for 40 bucks and it works great. Like Jbomb says though, every time it kicks on it scares the crap out of me, so I stuck it in a box under my table, and it really muffled the sound. you dont want too long of a hose though, definitely under 50 ft, cause that will screw with your air pressure, if you wanted to keep it outside. I use an Iwata HP-Cplus for my detail work, I have been using it for silicone, and latex etc, and I got a single action generic brush, also from harbor freight for 8 bucks, and the thing work likes a paasche. You just have to make sure to thin down your paint enough so it will spray well, and to clean the things after your done, because the silicone paint base will screw it up.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back