Help A Newbie With Paint Advice

Supa troop

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey Guys

Next week is going to be very exciting due to the fact my Pred head display should arrive

so

in preparation for it's arrival i have purchased very cheaply i might add this male torso, but as you can see it is need of fleashing out with a pred style paint Job.

would very much like to hear how you go about painting a torso and what paints and techniques you use please

many thanks in advance

kgrhqniee2jcwco7bnpyuge.jpg

Hi,i would use airbrush and FW inks from daler/rowney.Ref for your pred and copy paton.FW inks can be normal brushed.

I painted a torso and head as a Zombie for halloween; I used Fw inks as mentioned above, they spray very easily and I've found they cover better than other inks.
I also used thinned down Liquitex and Tamiya acrylics, they can be thinned with water or acrylic thinners, but you won't be able to spray the cheap craft acrylics, they are too coarse to go through an airbrush.
Before painting, I gave the torso a good clean with surgical spirits (nicer smell in the house than white spirits), lightly sanded the torso with very fine sandpaper, then cleaned again with the spirits.
The next step was a couple of light coats of white car primer before applying the final colours.
Hope this helps, I'm still fairly new to airbrushing myself, but there are some good tutorials on youtube.

I'm rephrasing what Carss66 said :)

"Hi,i would used an airbrush and FW inks from Daler/Rowney. Use reference pictures of your predator of choice and copy the skin-patorn. FW inks can be normal brushed. "

i, myself have never tried it, but i agree with Carss66 :)

Good luck with your painting ^^

I'm rephrasing what Carss66 said :)

"Hi,i would used an airbrush and FW inks from Daler/Rowney. Use reference pictures of your predator of choice and copy the skin-patorn. FW inks can be normal brushed. "

i, myself have never tried it, but i agree with Carss66 :)

Good luck with your painting ^^

Great thank you :D

So i need to invest in an airbrush and learn how to use that first, crieky and i thought this was going to be easy

Great thank you :D

So i need to invest in an airbrush and learn how to use that first, crieky and i thought this was going to be easy

yes, but you will get the hang of it pretty fast :) and its fun to work with!!! the part i hate is to clean the damn thing all the time, take it apart and assemble it back together... and its usually alot of parts! but its defintly worth the time and effort.

if you really consider buying a used one, make sure its working alright - that nothing is missing or clogged up :)
so if a new one isn't much more expensive, i would go for a new one :)

can't wait to see pictures of how it turns out!

Airbrushing isn't to hard, just takes a bit of practise, if you don't feel confident enough you can spraypaint a basecoat down, using a spraycan, then using brush and sponges you can do a decent enough paintjob.
I saw a torso painted up on ebay using the same torso, that were you got the idea?

Airbrushing isn't to hard, just takes a bit of practise, if you don't feel confident enough you can spraypaint a basecoat down, using a spraycan, then using brush and sponges you can do a decent enough paintjob.
I saw a torso painted up on ebay using the same torso, that were you got the idea?

It is yes, i was going to buy it but i get the plain torso really cheap instead and i thought i could maybe do one myself

very soon i will be in possesion of a 1:1 Predator Head, its being made and painted for me by a member of the lair.

I have everything here ready to finish it off, Dreads, dread beads etc etc.

Rather than just have a Pred Head display i thought it would be cool to try and Make a 1:1 torso for the head when it arrives.

Now my painting skills are not too clever however im willing to give anything a try.
Im told using an airbrush gives great results however i dont own one nor have i ever used one.

so what are my alternatives ????

here is the Torso i am using, although it is not very clear i have begun to shade areas of the torso using pencil graphite to highlight the muscle tone areas and will gradually make them darker as i progress.
dsc0026tw.jpg

As monstermaker said above, you could use a sponge and brushes. Once you've got your base colour down, use a torn up sponge, dip it in acrylic, then remove the excess paint on to kitchen roll before gently dabbing on to the torso. For the more detailed bits you could use an old cut down brush and use the same method. You'll probably go through a fair bit of paint with this method, so I would go for cheap acrylics - hope this helps

I know a lot of people favor acrylics, but hands down, if you are painting latex and you want a really permanent bond, rubber cement paints are awesome.

you can not get the Union process stamping inks in the UK, unless you pay to have them imported with a massive dangerous goods fee to come into the UK. which is way way more than the actual costs of the inks.

you can make your own, though they are not as good on foam latex as union process inks, just mix high quality rubber cement, naphtha, and a touch of oil paint

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back