Helmet ventilation fix

FirstPick

If you've worn a helmet for an extended amount of time, you know how hard it can be to breathe, keep your temperature down and keep your vision from fogging.
uploadfromtaptalk1433118915012.jpg

I have been thinking of wearing a rubber half-face mask with hoses to bring in fresh air.
I went to home depot and found something better.
uploadfromtaptalk1433119128065.png
This is made by 3M and the good thing about it is that it has one-way seals for inhaling and exhaling.
uploadfromtaptalk1433119188923.jpg
The fresh air comes in from the outer seals and you exhale the warm air through the middle seal and it exits here at the bottom of the mask.
uploadfromtaptalk1433119274752.jpg
For me and my helmet, this works perfectly. I can wear it under my helmet, breathe in fresh air and blow out the warm air. It keeps my visor clear and my helmet cool.
uploadfromtaptalk1433119421680.jpg
I'm in the process of painting it black to hide the visible parts of the respirator.

How much does it muffle your voice? It's hard enough already for people to hear you when talking through a mask.

It definitely muffles it but I'm not sure how much more, if any. The exhaling port exits outside of the helmet and my wife says she could hear me better.

Great idea. Adding in a couple of small fans will improve things even more because the body does generate heat and you need some circulation.

TazMan2000

Great idea. Adding in a couple of small fans will improve things even more because the body does generate heat and you need some circulation.

TazMan2000
Yeah I had one mounted in front of my mouth, but I may move it now that the respirator is there.

Great sucesss. I wore my helmet and respirator on Sunday for 4.5 hours without the visor fogging up or having trouble breathing. Didn't have to take my helmet off once.

Part of the other reason for fans in the helmet are to keep the head cool while wearing extra head stuffs. Did you notice a problem with this, or does eliminating mouth exhaust eliminate most all of the issues of head-heat in general?

Sounds a great idea. Have been thinking of a way to hold my RomFX microphone in front of my mouth and this would work perfectly.

Part of the other reason for fans in the helmet are to keep the head cool while wearing extra head stuffs. Did you notice a problem with this, or does eliminating mouth exhaust eliminate most all of the issues of head-heat in general?
Eliminating the mouth exhaust kept the helmet temperature down also. By sucking in the helmet air and blowing it out of the helmet, it kept cool air flowing into the helmet. (I had a small fan going also.)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back