Helmet Stands

Originally posted by gjustis@Jan 20 2006, 01:27 PM
Looking for a good (cheap) source for helm stands.....any advice?
[snapback]1163442[/snapback]​
There was a recent thread in the Prop Forum on this very topic... specifically, using kitchen paper towel holders as helmet stands. Here's the link:

Making helmet stands out of paper towel holders

Some of these look very nice. I especially like the chrome ones.

Somebody should archive one of these helmet stand threads.

Use a papertowel holder. Bed Bath & Beyond, Linens & Things, etc... has a wide variety to choose from.

yeah, i swear by them. i get the basic black ones from target for around $7, 'cept for my fett helmet. that one got the deluxe stainless $12 one ;)

I went the cheap route here......

Flat piece of wood (8"x8")
Round Dowel (Cut to height)
Old Raquetball

Drill a hole in the board for the dowel. Glue or screw in the dowel to the board. cut dowel to the proper height you need. Cut a hole in the raquetball and place on top of the dowel.

I even painted the whole thing black so it would not be seen.

ALl my helmets are on a stand like that.

Originally posted by TK-6790@Jan 25 2006, 02:49 PM
I went the cheap route here...... 

Flat piece of wood (8"x8")
Round Dowel  (Cut to height)
Old Raquetball

Drill a hole in the board for the dowel.  Glue or screw in the dowel to the board.  cut dowel to the proper height you need.  Cut a hole in the raquetball and place on top of the dowel.

I even painted the whole thing black so it would not be seen.

ALl my helmets are on a stand like that.
[snapback]1167884[/snapback]​

Same with me except I use a 2 1/2 inch solid wood ball at the top of mine.

GREAT thread. I've been looking for an inexpensive way to display my Vader helmet for a long time now. This is great. Thanks for the great ideas.

Yeah, I picked up a really nice papertowel holder at Linens N' THings for $6 that I'm using for my Snowtrooper helmet. It's nicely futuristic looking and fits with the whole sci-fi theme. :D

My apologies, I know I'm a bit late on the subject, but I just did some today.......

Cheap "Made in China" paper towel stands from a $2 shop - ummm $2

Polystyrene bells (I assume they're used for Christmas and weddings) from a craft shop $1.49.

the-bits.jpg

Sand and paint the stands satin black. Then I needed to make a hole in the bells, I considered using a drill bit, but then I thought "BURN BABY, BURN" (No, I'm not a pyromaniac) My good old 80w Weller did a great job......

Burn-hole.jpg

Just take care, you don't want to burn through to your hand...YEEEOOOOWWWCH.

Here's the finished stand.....

Finished.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with the way they look, they don't detract from the helmets at all, I kind of wanted them to be something that people wouldn't even notice.....

Suits-most-helmets.jpg

And they don't look too bad with open face helmets either......

no-faces.jpg

So, for $3.49 and some old paint I had lying around, I'm pretty pleased.

Now I just have to wait for the cases to arrive and I can cut them to the ideal height.

Cheers,

Kraig

Edited- I put up a wrong pic :unsure
Edit 2- It did it again :confused

Wow. That's a great stand for $3.49 and a little elbow grease.

Thanks for posting your tutorial.

I'm liking simple black stands more and more. At first I leaned toward the high-tech look of chrome or nickel, but those do tend to show through the mouths and/or visors of some helmets. The black stands, on the other hand, don't take any attention away from the helmets themselves. And black goes with anything. :)

Nice job, yakcam. :thumbsup

Here's a holder I got at a local grocery store for $8. Has a faux leather base, I really like it:

Here's my cKing fiberglass on the stand:

Sorry for the bad pics, I'm not a great photographer. :D

that is a great tutorial if you can find those cheap towel holders...the best i could do was a cheap one from walmart...cost me 10 bucks...then i bought some foam used to put fake flowers in and hand sculpted it to have a somewhat shape of a head...then stuck the paper towel holder in the bottom about 4 inches after drilling out a hold. I also covered the head with old black sweatpants material and hot glue to keep the foam from rubbing off inside the helmet...kind of a long project and it cost a bit more than the 3.49...i say go with that deal if you can...good job

When I read this archived thread http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=103070 I realized that for somebody outside the US like me not all types of paper towel stands are available. Yet, I thought getting myself a styro head would be a good start. Later I could add a chrome paper towel base whenever I'd find one. Being located in Germany myself I found a good recourse on ebay for these ones:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Styroporkopf-Perueckenk...5QQcmdZViewItem

(this is a dutch auction and although I already bought from it it still active. If that causes a problem I will remove it of course)

The great thing is, they are the exact height for a fiberglass Vader helmet. The helmet sits relaxed and very stable on this head and exactly obscures it just without touching the ground. A stormtrooper helmet (TE / GINO) sits a bit elevated on this head, which looks much better than just having the helmet sit on the shelf without a stand. I plan to paint the head for the vader black, but on the stormies I guess I leave them white, not really sure yet.

In any case, they have a very stable stand and don't require any additional base underneath, such as a paper towel holder. Of course the chrome towel stands look much nicer, but if somebody thinks about getting any styrofoam head, this size works great. Personally I am totally happy with these and don't plan to add a chrome base anymore.

Just thought I'd share the info...

H.

I made my own stands ...I sculpted the original from bondo and added a 3" diameter raised circle to place the emblem of my choosing on....If you have seen the Riddell mini vader helmet stand this is what mine looks like but in large scale.
I then used pvc pipe to make the rod. what I did was make it telescoping to accomodate different helmets.....I drilled holes at different heights and then used a ring pin to lock it in at the height I want.
I made a mold and cast them in fiberglass...I have some pics below...it has nice details which are hard to see in pics because its black but youll get the idea.
I have the rebel,fett bentha skull,clone/republic,imperial emblems...when I get more done ill post some pics....

sgbdonestand.jpg

For those in the UK you can get these at Homebase, you have a choice of the standard wooden finish which is £1.99... or the slightly nicer aluminium finish (pictured left) for £11.99, I bought 2 wooden ones yesterday, cheap and ideal for displaying helmets

skygunbro: That's really nice work. :thumbsup

I admire the versatility you designed into the stands, both in terms of the emblems you can display and the variable height of the pole.

Does the pole rotate in the stand? With the Vader helmet it doesn't matter much, but I'm wondering if the ring pin and holes can be positioned to face rearward when you are displaying open-faced helmets like the X-Wing pilot. Of course, even if the pole doesn't rotate, I guess you can simply build the stands with the holes facing the rear in the first place.

Very inspirational. Thanks for sharing. :)

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back