Helmet lens questions.

dz-6489

I recently decide to try and vac form my own bubble lenses (similar to Vader or TK).

Can anyone point me in the right direction for sheets of smoked plastic. Not sure of the type or best thickness.

Not sure if Home Depot or Lowes sells smoked plastic/acrylics but the do sell sheets. If not there are several suppliers that can be found via Google with various options and prices. The thickness depends on what you want to do. I would think lenses should be fairly thin.

good luck, in my experience, clear tinted plastic tends to change color when heated to a pliable temperature. in my experience, it tends to work better if you form clear acrylic, pvc, or styrene, all of which are readily available at Home Depot, Lows, Hobby Lobby... etc, and then dye them with plastic dye. the dye can be purchased at hobby shops, plastic suppliers, or on the ever helpful internet. Finally, you can alter both the color, and opacity this way. as a side note, often on movies, lenses that appear as black, see stormtroopers, are actually a dark green. I have used this technique to repair a broken mid nineties store bought Boba Fett helmet last year, and it looked better than ever. The basic process can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGUf1VpvICI

best of luck, RNC

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back