Want to Buy Helmet creator in there ?

Talion

Hi all,

I'm an airsoft player and i would have a different mask according to others players, then i found your forum AND a mask i would create, there it is :
Capture d’écran 2015-07-01 à 13.55.22.png

Nevertheless, i would have the glass part detachable with neodym magnets.

Is that possible ? At which price ?

Last edited:

OdiWan72

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
There are quite a few talented members out here, who accept commissions...
BUT are you aware of the costs involved with this project? We´re not talking about several hundreds, but a 4-digit amount to have this made.

If you want to go that route, get in touch with RPF member thorssoli

Good luck, Markus :)

JJ Griffin

Sr Member
This is possible, but as OdiWan72 mentioned, by no means cheap. You can PM me if you'd like a quote but be prepared to spend more than the rest of your kit costs, by far.

~JJ

Last edited by a moderator:

Talion

Well, i expected that the cost would be around 500 dollars (without the price of the glass which is pretty expensive, around 200 euros, i found it in polycarbonate) but the more i make research, the more i understand that the price would be high lol
I could afford a 4 digit price but i've to buy a new computer to work too :D

But can you tell me why the price for this mask would be so high ?

I found this one too...
ld-wide-PMFilmRonin-20140116182155432527-620x349.jpg47-ronin.jpg
The prob is that i can't found images of the FRONT with high quality right now... :/
(only the front part)

Maybe it's more abordable ? :p

Thanks ! :)

Last edited:

skylu3Design

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I prefer the big glass design in the first post, looks futuristic as well. But post above is much easier to make, probably make some remix for both the come out a totally new idea would be good :)

Talion

I LOVE the first one too but... i'll have to sell my mother if i want to make it lol

But, don't forget that i'm a nooby, i've the impression that the second is more difficult to make because of the "drawing", mouth, eyes, etc... while the first one it's "only" a sort of helmet. The glass would be the difficult part but i can buy it alone.

Look, i've an example of what i mean :
https://www.etsy.com/listing/224151768/mass-effect-garrus-vakarian-mask?ref=related-7
The mask cost 600$, if i ask it without the neck, eyes, paint and less details, i'm pretty sure i can have it for 400$ and i think it's more difficult to make than mine :)

Last edited:

Mockle

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Id guess more in the 1000$ area someone will have to sculpt it, mold it, cast it, or 3D design it print it, clean it, mold it, cast it. this is why folk do runs to keep the cost down more interested the less the cost. A one off will end up with the entire cost. so it will be high.

Talion

Hello :)

Is the modeling is obligatory ? 'cause i've a friend who could draw it (front, profil and above views).

laellee

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Whether 3d modeling it, or sculpting it using orthographic drawings your friend can put together, both are still expensive for different reasons. The simplest answer is, unless you do it yourself, it is going to be expensive. If it was a more popular piece, then you could have more people wanting one and then split the costs.

Just to guess on prices (and it always varies), here's a realistic price point:

Cost to model the helmet: around $200
Cost to print: $150-$250 on a home printer, Shapeways will likely charge well over $700 depending on a lot of factors
Cost to clean up the helmet, assemble the parts, smooth seams if it needs it, etc: $50-75 and a lot of elbow grease

That's just to have a helmet that you could wear as is, or take molds from, it could cost more or less but that's a ballpark for my experience. The visor then, you're looking at either a clear/tinted resin cast piece, or vacuum formed. Both processes require specialized equipment, and (especially for a tinted visor in epoxy or whatever), a decent degree of experience.

So, yeah, as has been said, it's a lot of money even to make one helmet. Iron man helmets are available for $250 or so, but that's because a guy can recoup his initial $800 investment by selling a few casts because it's a popular genre. My best advice would be either find some other people who might want this as well and help pay for it, or start saving. :) Molding and casting isn't any cheaper, you'll spend $200+ without even trying, and that's just for the rubbers and resins, not counting vacuum pots and other tools that make your finished piece a lot better. Anyways, good luck with stuff. We're not trying to dissuade you, but it's important that you know what you're getting yourself into. :thumbsup

Talion

Hi :)

Thanks a lot for your message which is full if useful information !
Just be sure that i know that i'll have to spend lot of money to make my mask, i'm just trying to save some money by doing some tasks myself :)

Anyway, there is a point i never though before.. the steam :(
So, i'm looking for something different, a mix of all those masks :
Capture d’écran 2015-07-15 à 21.22.29.pngCapture d’écran 2015-07-15 à 21.22.51.pngCapture d’écran 2015-07-15 à 21.23.00.pngCapture d’écran 2015-07-15 à 21.25.06.png

Image 1 : i love the front of the mask, but the ear and below are too detailed
Image 2 : i love the plait only
Image 3 : same as first image, the front is pretty good
Image 4 : just to show you another plait but much longer, like it too but... maybe too heavy in game

I'll see with my friend if he can helps me to draw the final mask i want and modeling / printing it.

See ya ! :)