Helmet and prop builds so far

Herofan

Hi all, I have been obsessing over prop making over the last year or so now, using RPF for the 'go to' place for all info and helpful tips and motivational viewing. I have been wanting to post build pics along the way but always thought maybe one day if i do something worth posting.
Anyway i have built a few helmets so far, a Boba Fett, a Royal Guard and an X-wing pilot. I have also scratch built a Boba Fett Carbine Blaster and a Skywalker ROTJ lightsaber. I have also built a couple of Iron Man helmets, a Mk 3 and War Machine. I am currently working on an R2-D2 1:1 which is probably going to take the best part an eternity to complete.
All the helmets have been pepakura models, which while time consuming, I do enjoy building them that way.

Here is a few pics

IMG_0416.JPGIMG_0257.JPGIMG_0258.JPG
IMG_20140512_164447_160.jpgIMG_20140512_164502_241.jpgIMG_0246.JPGIMG_0247.JPGIMG_0248.JPGIMG_0249.JPG

Last edited:
This is predominantly built from acrylic, i purchased a cheap toy lightsaber that had surprisingly good sound fx so u pulled the electronics out of that and incorporated it into mine. I did have to put in a better quality speaker and change the LED's to green. Once again not real happy with my paint skills but i can always have another go at it later after a lot more practice. I dont really have many pics of the build process on this one, i am usually quite bad at remembering to take photos along the way.

IMG_0253.JPGIMG_0254.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG

Hey looks like you have been keeping secrets from us fella. you have clearly amassed a great deal of tips from somewhere and clearly you have skills of your own too. Great woks and I'm sure you will be getting question coming your way. The weathering on Boba and the x wing bone dome is fantastic . What's next on the to do list?????

Thanks all for the generous comments. I am absolutely loving prop making, i find myself wondering why i didnt get into it a lot sooner. I have been a carpenter/builder most of my life so i am fortunate enough to have a fair amount of tools on hand although like everyone else i could always have more. If only i could make a career doing this, while i do love my job i would drop it in a heartbeat and do this full time.
Next project is probably the Jeager Pilot helmet from Pacific Rim while still plugging away at the never ending R2
I really cant thank all the members here enough for such an awesome resource of knowledge and motivation!

Ha ha and I have spent most of my life destroying things (bad things for good reasons) I'd love to get into wood and have bought some stuff but have never got the chance to use them much at all. I got two routers and tried to use one to trim down a piece of wood. well it trimmed it ok if trimming means making a great pile of sawdust and mess lol. Perhaps most of the questions will come from me! :cheers

Ha ha and I have spent most of my life destroying things (bad things for good reasons) I'd love to get into wood and have bought some stuff but have never got the chance to use them much at all. I got two routers and tried to use one to trim down a piece of wood. well it trimmed it ok if trimming means making a great pile of sawdust and mess lol. Perhaps most of the questions will come from me! :cheers

The good thing about timber is its relatively inexpensive and really forgiving. It's my go to material when it probably shouldn't be. I always have plenty around and most of my tools are for working with it. Since trying to use acrylic out of necessity due to the nice finish you can get with it i am finding i am now using it for things i probably shouldn't. I think that's the best part of prop making, I get to try all kinds of things that i wouldn't normally try in my normal work, hence the new found obsession i guess.

That Fett blaster is really good, you should run the parts and offer a kit.

I really like the royal guard helmet too, nice work all round, keep em coming.

That Fett blaster is really good, you should run the parts and offer a kit.

I really like the royal guard helmet too, nice work all round, keep em coming.

Thanks, I'm not sure where to even begin doing parts. I like the idea though. The royal guard helmet was the first one i did when looking for something for a themed party we went to, that's where i first stumbled across pepakura and what a change that has made to my spare time....and other time that isn't actually spare

Been adding to the collection over the last 12 months or so. More often than not starting on the next build before the previous one (or few) have finished. Still cant get enough of it though, I love every minute of it, except maybe sanding, sanding is the devils work. Going to run out of wall space soon, not sure what to do then.
The corner is still reserved for R2, when and if he is ever finished. I finished off one leg in the hope of giving me motivation to finish all of him but it didn't work.

IMG_1201.JPG

nice work , you really did all of this in a bit over two years from scratch ? man thats a lot of work , but keep it up this is all looking awesome :O)

nice work , you really did all of this in a bit over two years from scratch ? man thats a lot of work , but keep it up this is all looking awesome :O)

Thanks Lukesfather, yeah just over 2 years. Time well spent in my opinion, although i don't think my family agrees :p

Thanks Lukesfather, yeah just over 2 years. Time well spent in my opinion, although i don't think my family agrees :p

Just remind your family that you're not spending time at the bars and that there is real monetary value in the props you're producing. Your work is fabulous!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back