Hellraiser puzzle cube: configuration of the panels?

TomVDJ

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm trying to determine the correct orientation and positioning of the panels of the puzzle cube from the first Hellraiser movie. I took dozens of screenshots of the bluray version, but when I started puzzeling with the panels, I came to the conclusion that more than one box is used in the movie. For instance: the box seen in the very first scene in the pub, you can determine and position three panels. Later on, in the hospital, wher Kirsty handes the puzzle cube, you can also determine 3 panels. But there is no way to add these to the panels of the first scene. Those two boxes are defenitely not the same.

So now I wanted to know: does someone knows what configuration (of which scene) is considered THE configuration of the first movie? And can somebody post this configuration here?

In attachment, I post screenshots of two scenes with the orientation of the three panels you can see. You'll notice that both images can't be combined to one cube. If you would try this, the panels with the big circles in the middle, won't be opposite of each other.

The 3 panels are all on the exact opposite sides.
No they're not. Look at the pictures. If you take the panel with the symbols (in the first picture, the one on the bottom right side), and you put the other two panels of the second picture in place, you'll notice that the panels with the circles or not on the opposite site. So it's not the same cube in the scenes.

I know that one cube should have the panels opposite to each other, but on which way?

The picture you posted isn't correct at alle. There are 6 different panels, the picture you posted has 3 times 2 exactly the same panels. This is not correct. The panel with the symbols I was talking about, isn't even in the picture you posted.

I'm not making a cube at this moment, but I might in the future...

I have artwork that I am looking to have photoetched. So far it looks like it is going to be too expensive for me to have done by someone else. I did one a few years ago and sold it. Now I'm looking to do another. If I can find a place that can etch the panels that I can afford I'll offer up copies. I may wind up having to do it myself.

also note that the wooden box is 2 toned. sides are brown laquer, top +bottom ebony/black
Indeed, the two sides with the big inner circle plates, are black.

But I'm really wondering about the orientation of the panels. Any ideas, anyone?

is this the pattern?
cube1.jpg

From my understandings...best bet would be to make either interchangable plated and/or make 2 different versions... If u have the time. Pretty sure the cube changes again in the other series

Rick H, that's not correct, you re-used each panel. But there are 6 different panels.

@yoopees, indeed, you can't create one box which shows the correct configuration of each scene in the movie. But since many "puzzle box makers" claim that they can make boxes with configurations to resemble the box from the 1st, second, third, etc... movie, I wondered which scene they would take as a reference to make the configuration of the first movie?

Guess I was wrong about it. I thought there were only 3 basic panels with minor details different on each pair.

Last edited:
Rick H, that's not correct, you re-used each panel. But there are 6 different panels.

@yoopees, indeed, you can't create one box which shows the correct configuration of each scene in the movie. But since many "puzzle box makers" claim that they can make boxes with configurations to resemble the box from the 1st, second, third, etc... movie, I wondered which scene they would take as a reference to make the configuration of the first movie?

Their claim is probably their preference and ignorance. Not saying it's "original," but I honestly doubt there is an "original" box. Probably a bunch of boxes were made during the shoot of the movie and they just grabbed a different one for difference scenes.

Director Barker :
"Hey Larry (aka pinhead) grab one of the cubes from the storage box for the next scene...doesn't matter which one, just grab one"

That's my interpretation.

Guess I was wrong about it. I thought there were only 3 basic panels with minor details different on each pair.
Nope, there are 6 different panels. The two panels with the big circle in the middle are almost identical, but not completely. The other two "pairs" have rather big differences. I posted images of the panels in the free paper prop section, you can see the differences clearly there: http://www.therpf.com/f40/hellraiser-104568/ (one of the black panels is not correct, I don't have an image of that one :( ).

Indeed, maybe it's best to stick to one configuration. I guess yoopees is right about the fact that the moviemakers didn't really care about having the same positioning on each cube...

I haven't tried to compare with screen caps or anything, but is it possible that each cube had 3 pairs of identical sides, but for some reason there were two completely different cubes? That might be why it's difficult (impossible) to lay them all out based on the movie shots too...

Or whoever designed/created the original prop designed 6 different sides, but whoever made the brass and built the cubes didn't notice this, so it's just completely wrong on every prop they built? If that's the situation, determining a 'correct' orientation may not even be possible.

There are scenes where you can see two panels of the same "set" can be seen, and these are different, so I think each cube does have the correct panels, but just not placed the same way on each individual cube. If I have some more time, I might see if I can find pictures of screenused cubes to see if these add some more info about the orientation...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back