Hellraiser animatronic Engineer head

FISHZILLA

After years and years of looking, I finally found one of my Hellraiser grail pieces, fresh back from restoration from the ever talented Tom Spina, he's looking back to his original condition. Foam latex with a fibergalss underskull, and HUGE! I have a big Hellraiser collection and this is one of my favorite pieces, so glad to finally have him home!

Hope you like

post some of your pics of your collection. I have always been a big fan of the Hell series. I remember one of the best costume contests back in the late 80's was a pinhead and friends at the Atlanta Fantasy Fair . It was sweet.

Eric, it was absolutely our pleasure to work on this piece and it was wonderful to finally meet in person after talking all this time :) It's always such a good feeling when a piece finds its way into the right home.

I'll be posting some before and after pics to the site in the next week. The Engineer project is the next update in the queue.

As for the restoration, thanks for the kind words! I have to give a large shout-out to Mike Thomas, an artist and friend who's been working with me on restorations for some time now and is really learning the craft well. He did quite a bit of work with me on this piece and I'm extremely proud of what we did!

Here's a neat fact... when this came to us, there was only 1 eye. We had to create an eye from scratch to match the unique style (and age!) of the other. I think that's my favorite part of this one :)

Cool!

Do it still move etc? Any pics to show the scale.

LDR

As with most older pieces, the foam no longer has the flexibility to actuate anything safely. That said, the mechanics are all in there (except for the missing eye) and the open back of the piece is a great peek at the magic behind it!

Size-wise, I think it's about 18 or 20" from top of head to bottom of the chin... BIG head!!

thanks again!
Tom

Very nice! It just so happens there is a convention in Indianapolis, that is going to have an apperance by Clive Barker, and Doug Bradley. Great show to get your stuff signed, it's Horror Hound Weekend in Indi

I'll actually be in Indy with this piece at my table. I set up a Hellraiser museum there one time and they want me to set up a "mini" version of it at a table. I'll have a couple heads and a couple suits all screen used. I'm not far from Indy so it's not a big deal for me to go up there.

Hey all,

This project went up on the site with today's update. Please visit our Movie Prop Restoration page for pics and more projects like this one.

Some before and after type pics below. The size of this piece made it tricky to photograph, but it's that size that makes it such an impressive piece in person.

Again, I want to give credit to Mike Thomas who worked very hard on this piece as well!

When it arrived, it was extremely dry, fragile and (though it wasn't immediately obvious) dusty. When we cleaned the piece, we were amazed at how rich the paint scheme was. There were deep reds, veins and capillaries... a fine layer of dust had dulled it's look immensely and once we cleaned and sealed the piece, it all just popped!

As I mentioned earlier, recreating the missing eye was a unique challenge. We worked really hard to capture the aged look of the remaining original eye. When we were done, it was tricky to tell them apart, even up close :)

Enjoy the pics!

BTW, we update the site pretty regularly, so stop in from time to time to see what's new. You can now follow us on twitter if you'd like to be kept informed about site updates (and get sneak peek pics of upcoming projects).

best,
Tom

Movie-Prop-Restoration-Hellraiser-web-1.jpg

Movie-Prop-Restoration-Hellraiser-web-2.jpg

Movie-Prop-Restoration-Hellraiser-web-3.jpg

I'll actually be in Indy with this piece at my table. I set up a Hellraiser museum there one time and they want me to set up a "mini" version of it at a table. I'll have a couple heads and a couple suits all screen used. I'm not far from Indy so it's not a big deal for me to go up there.

Sweet! I'll see ya there!

There was an interview done with the guys who made Hellraiser on a TV program back in late 80's early 90's, called Network 7 on Channel 4.
This sculpt was right in the middle during the interview, I did have it on VHS but I think the tape may have long gone. Hoping it gets put on Youtube though....

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back